PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Wine and aol.

Marvin666
May 4th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I've tried installing aol under wine both from disk, and from download but it always stops with an error message. The other programs I've tried to install under wine didn't work at all or with errors (yahoo messenger doesn't allow me to open a chat window). I tried pengaol, but I can't track down the gui download. Anybody here know of some native software that can connect to aol, or a different virtual machine I can use? My laptop is currently running a dual boot of windows and xubuntu 9.04.

garythegoth
May 4th, 2009, 03:22 AM
I've tried installing aol under wine both from disk, and from download but it always stops with an error message. The other programs I've tried to install under wine didn't work at all or with errors (yahoo messenger doesn't allow me to open a chat window). I tried pengaol, but I can't track down the gui download. Anybody here know of some native software that can connect to aol, or a different virtual machine I can use? My laptop is currently running a dual boot of windows and xubuntu 9.04.

Your best chance is AOL 6.0, but even that dosent work well. Just use Thunderbird to get to your emails.

Or ring AOL and bitch at them for their lack of Linux support :)

Marvin666
May 4th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Only have a 9.0 and 8.0 disk. I tried with one labeled "gold dial-up" so it might work with one of them. I can't use thunder bird for to reasons at the moment: lack of pop support from yahoo, and I need the dialer part of aol to even connect. I'll try the disks on next reboot.
Edit: finally found an answer to another thread I created: Click on System> Administration> Login Window. Click on Security tab. Check “Allow local administrator login“, but I'm not for sure if this applies to xubuntu as well as normal ubuntu.

Marvin666
May 4th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Not for sure if dibble posting is frowned upon here, so don't persecute me for it. I tried a 9.0 disk, and it always crashed after it asked me to restart. The 8.0 disk installed, but couldn't find the modem. I feel asleep after half an hour of it searching and woke up 4 hours later, so I stopped it. Any ideas?

Mark Phelps
May 5th, 2009, 10:08 PM
You can save some grief by checking the CodeWeavers site at the link below before installing and struggling with an app in Wine. If the app version isn't listed, or if the rating is Silver or below, you're wasting your time installing the app:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name