PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which application lists hardware profile in Ubuntu?

maporojo
May 4th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Which application may I download to view the hardware profile of my computer? I have heard of it but I cannot remember the name. I know of using "sudo lshw" but I would also like to have that application listed under "System > Preferences" or wherever the line "sudo apt-get ..." will put it in the menus. Thanks.

doas777
May 4th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I use lshw-gtk. you can install it from synaptic or the add/remove tool.
it will create a launcher in your Applications->Systems Tools menu, but you can edit your menus and add an entry under System -> Preferences with the command:
gksu lshw-gtk

maporojo
May 4th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the response. I installed "Hardware Lister" and it appears to be a GUI version of lshw. There is another application that has a better interface but I may have to Google my way to find it.

pbpersson
May 4th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I use HardInfo and it appears in the menus as System-->Preferences-->System Profiler and Benchmark

doas777
May 4th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the response. I installed "Hardware Lister" and it appears to be a GUI version of lshw. There is another application that has a better interface but I may have to Google my way to find it.

as a general rule, google before you create a thread.

maporojo
May 5th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Thanks everyone. I installed and prefer "hardinfo".