PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 A downgrade for Thinkpad Owners

mtclason
May 4th, 2009, 01:46 AM
I remember the good old days of Ubuntu when you could install Ubuntu on almost any laptop and you could be sure it worked with your hardware, or most of it.

9.04 graphics do no support Thinkpad laptops. Okay, I have 5 Thinkpads in my house and those laptops running 9.04 are slower than my Vista machine (the machine I actually make money on). I click, and about 15 seconds later the operating system decides to actually execute my command.

It's a graphics problem, a problem that does NOT show up on any other version of Linux EXCEPT Ubuntu.

I'm switching flavors and I'm pissed. All that work and tweeking gone!

alphacrucis2
May 4th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I remember the good old days of Ubuntu when you could install Ubuntu on almost any laptop and you could be sure it worked with your hardware, or most of it.

9.04 graphics do no support Thinkpad laptops. Okay, I have 5 Thinkpads in my house and those laptops running 9.04 are slower than my Vista machine (the machine I actually make money on). I click, and about 15 seconds later the operating system decides to actually execute my command.

It's a graphics problem, a problem that does NOT show up on any other version of Linux EXCEPT Ubuntu.

Works ok on a T400. Do the thinkpads you are having problems with happen to have ATI graphics?

mitchellcipriano
May 4th, 2009, 03:01 AM

I have an ThinkPad R51 and this is the best release for me yet. I only had minor problems with previous releases, mostly waking from sleep. It seems to be completely resolved now. The only real remaining issue I have at this point is that the sound may stop working in some of the applications. It appears random, but I am not sure.

strikeback03
May 4th, 2009, 03:02 AM
9.04 is running OK off an install on a flash drive on my T43 (with X300 graphics), I learned not to jump straight to a new release after wireless didn't work in 8.10.

My only problem (on both my desktop and laptop) seems to be excessively high processor usage when everything should be at idle. Anyone know anything about this?