PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone!

Lanrond
January 9th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Hi, I'm a newcomer here.
I received the cds I asked for a few day after x-mas and I finally succeded in making the live distro run :) .
Thanks to all the community for the precious help. ;)
The only thing I still have to figure out is how to make the internal modem work... :???:
I have an iMac DV and I usually run MacOS 9.2.2 (no OSX yet).
A little disappointed by the latest Jobs strategy (but that's a completely different story) I decided to give Linux a chance.
I work with windows at work, but I also had some close encounters with Red Hat, but only as user, not admin.
The first impressions about Ubuntu are quite good and I hope to learn much more soon.
Bye (for now).

Arktis
January 9th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Greetings, welcome, and good luck gettting acquainted and acclimated with Linux. As you can see, your post count isn't affected by community chat posts. Just a friendly heads-up; I don't mean anything else by it. ;)

A little disappointed by the latest Jobs strategy (but that's a completely different story) I decided to give Linux a chance.
Are you reffering to the move to Intel processors?

Lanrond
January 9th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Are you reffering to the move to Intel processors?
Not that in particular, I think that that move was almost forced by the circumstances.
Actually I'm referring to what seems to me to be the Microsoftization of Apple.
"Think different" is becoming "Think Stock Exchange" (i.e. iPod and everything related).
Well, I know that Apple, as any enterprise, is about making money, but lately Jobs is renouncing to what made Apple peculiar just to sqeeze every possible $ out of his customers.
IMVHO obviously... :)
That's one of the reasons for which I'm more and more interested in Linux and Open Source philosophy.

mstlyevil
January 9th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Not that in particular, I think that that move was almost forced by the circumstances.
Actually I'm referring to what seems to me to be the Microsoftization of Apple.
"Think different" is becoming "Think Stock Exchange" (i.e. iPod and everything related).
Well, I know that Apple, as any enterprise, is about making money, but lately Jobs is renouncing to what made Apple peculiar just to sqeeze every possible $ out of his customers.
IMVHO obviously... :)
That's one of the reasons for which I'm more and more interested in Linux and Open Source philosophy.

It is for this reason I believe in the next year you will see the introduction of a Mac with Windows as the operating system. Rumor already has it that the Mac-mini is going to become a media center pc/dvr with Windows XP media center on it to activate Intels Vive technology.

BTW welcome to Ubuntu and these forums.

poofyhairguy
January 9th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Welcome former Jobs fan....

Don't worry, the distortion field rubs off everyone eventually.

danish_demon
January 10th, 2006, 12:42 AM
being an experienced bbs user, i will not go to the trouble of starting a new thread to also say hello to everyone here. i'm a cs student who finally has gotten around to getting a working version of linux on my own machine with only one semester left (terrible, i know). anyways, i look forward to learning lots about ubuntu around here and shall be around often.