PDA

View Full Version : GNUbuntu, any news?

pinky
January 9th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Hello,
since the mail that Mark has discussed with RMS a GNUbuntu Distribution i haven't heard anything about it.
Are there any news? Will GNUbuntu become reallity? If yes, when? Is there already a GNUbuntu-Team, Homepage, mailing list or whatever?

Thanks for your infos.

Thirsteh
January 9th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I haven't heard anything about it either ;)

poofyhairguy
January 9th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Are you sure he was not joking? He has an odd sense of humor.

DariusTriplet
January 11th, 2006, 12:34 AM
The other day, I was thinking about the Gnome version of Ubuntu changing its name to Gnubuntu. Then Gnome won't get top billing, and RMS may stop complaining about how nobody calls it GNU/Linux. :p

I'm wondering, what exactly would a GNUbuntu consist of? Isn't Ubuntu mostly built off of GNU in the first place?

pinky
January 13th, 2006, 10:54 PM
The other day, I was thinking about the Gnome version of Ubuntu changing its name to Gnubuntu.

a GNUbuntu distribution wouldn't have to use GNOME as default desktop. It could come with KDE too.

I'm wondering, what exactly would a GNUbuntu consist of? Isn't Ubuntu mostly built off of GNU in the first place?

There are many points:
- For Debian the GFDL is non-free so Debian will remove all GFDL documents from main and i think Ubuntu will do it probably too. On GNUbuntu GFDL documentation would stay in main.
- (K|Ed)Ubuntu also uses restricted (non-free software) to install the system and also enable it by default in your source.list. This wouldn't happen on GNUbuntu.
- (K|Ed)Ubuntu makes at the moment some kind of "advertising" for non-free software with restricted as default source-list entry and with universe and multiverse wich is intermixed with non-free software. For GNUbuntu their would be no restricted-rep and universe+multiverse would have to contain only additional free software.
- GNUbuntu would teach people about free software, why it exist, that freedom is also (and even more) important in the digital age and that people have to stand up for freedom. This would happen by continuously using the term GNU/Linux and Free Software so that people get to know about GNU (which have started the movement and developed the major part of the operating system and above all the idea of a world were freedom survives the compiler) and what freedom means in the digital age.

That's just some few points which i get in mind if i think about it briefly.