PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with window composition

GBCG
May 3rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
Hi,

I'm quite a beginner in Ubuntu, so sorry for any dumb questions.

Here's the deal:

I use Ubuntu 8.10, 32 bits and I recently tried to install Gnome-do to use Docky 0.8. That's where my problem started.
I installed it after a few days of hard work and when I tried to enable Docky, I simply couldn't because my system is not configured right (according to Gnome-do) and I needed to enable Window Composition.
When I finally found out what is that, I tried configuring Compiz, but none of the changes seemed to take effect: number of desktops, cube desktop, application switcher, general options... nothing.
After almost giving up I read somewhere that there was another Composition manager installed by default in ubuntu, Metacity.
I even tried installing other dock app such as AWN, but it just won't start!

I have practically no experience with ubuntu, but is it possible that due to metacity (which I can't even find to try to configure) configuration or due to conflict between metacity and compiz most of the graphical configuration is simply disabled? I can apply default themes as in System>Preferences>Appearance, but nothing more.

Another fact that seems to contribute to that theory: I installed Emerald themer, but I'm not able to apply any theme.

Can anyone please help me?

GBCG
May 3rd, 2009, 11:57 PM
Something else...

I tried installing Compiz Fusion Icon. There you can choose Compiz or Metacity and some other stuff... but everytime I try to change ANY of the options I get a white screen and the only option is to reboot the system...

How do I find out if my video card suports composition?
If it doesn't, does that mean I can't install any dock-like app?