PDA

View Full Version : An essay on Free Software

NCLI
May 3rd, 2009, 08:25 PM
So, I'm writing an essay on the subject of Free Software, and, in this spirit, I want to ask you guys whether you'd propose adding/removing anything from my essay?
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhf494fk_157dmn2crcw

Muffinabus
May 3rd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Might want to fix this:

"This model was popularised by Canonicals Linux-based operating system, Ubuntu. Ubuntu is freely distributed over the internet, for consumers and business alike. However, if you want professional tech support, have to pay. Almost all businesses, schools, etc which deploy Ubuntu choose to pay, and thus help to pay for the developers, artists, planners and organizers employed by Canonical. Hejfn jf kfkf kk fkf ffkroeldægsæl led fdnmgfmfmfjf wjrf nfnfnfklds fkfr edejfoewp pppeee llldle dlllge fore ykkfikrv riogmr fklrkfkr fdkfrjdk rkkgfkrk fkkgtjdkjg rlrkrjd dkdkdkdk kdkdkdkd"

gnulogic
May 3rd, 2009, 08:34 PM
Excelent article.

ddrichardson
May 3rd, 2009, 08:40 PM
I wouldn't use the line:
The source code being freely available and distributable makes it very hard for software that is fits in this category to not be "Free as in beer,"Because its not really true, I'd be inclined to just say that free as in speech is often the same as free as in beer.

Solution 2: MalwareThis is unfounded IMHO and I wouldn't use it as a description of a model to make money from OSS because it's illegal in many countries so its kind of like saying OSS doesn't make money unless you break the law.

Solutions three and four are the same and you might want to work on the last paragraph because it reads as though you're rambling.

All good constructive stuff - no harm intended.

PacSci
May 3rd, 2009, 08:47 PM
Firstly, Linux didn't fork from Unix - Linus developed it independently on its own.

Secondly, you call the section "problems", but only list one problem. Then, the first two solutions you give apply to software that is free as in beer but not as in speech.

Finally, it needs a complete spelling and grammar check.

I wrote an essay that's kind of similar to this a bit back for a writing contest, maybe I should post it too.

NCLI
May 4th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Might want to fix this:

"This model was popularised by Canonicals Linux-based operating system, Ubuntu. Ubuntu is freely distributed over the internet, for consumers and business alike. However, if you want professional tech support, have to pay. Almost all businesses, schools, etc which deploy Ubuntu choose to pay, and thus help to pay for the developers, artists, planners and organizers employed by Canonical. Hejfn jf kfkf kk fkf ffkroeldægsæl led fdnmgfmfmfjf wjrf nfnfnfklds fkfr edejfoewp pppeee llldle dlllge fore ykkfikrv riogmr fklrkfkr fdkfrjdk rkkgfkrk fkkgtjdkjg rlrkrjd dkdkdkdk kdkdkdkd"
Fixed >.>

Excelent article.
Thank you.

Solutions three and four are the same and you might want to work on the last paragraph because it reads as though you're rambling.
Will do, but could you please be more exact?

Firstly, Linux didn't fork from Unix - Linus developed it independently on its own.
You are correct, my mistake.

Secondly, you call the section "problems", but only list one problem. Then, the first two solutions you give apply to software that is free as in beer but not as in speech.
I know, it isn't entirely finished. I'd also like some ideas for this section.

Finally, it needs a complete spelling and grammar check.
Work in progress, so duh :)

I wrote an essay that's kind of similar to this a bit back for a writing contest, maybe I should post it too.
Please do, would be great inspiration!

Phreaker
May 4th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Can I make a small correction? Ubuntu is not an operating system, it is a Gnu/Linux distribution.

I find your essay really lovely, I wish you best of luck and happiness :)

Sef
May 4th, 2009, 02:07 PM
That software is "free as in beer" simply means that it is free to use as originally intended by the software maker.

That is not correct. From the GNU website (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html):

Free software is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of free as in free speech, not as in free beer.

Solution 4: Pay for tech support
This model was popularised by Canonicals Linux-based operating system, Ubuntu.

I would phrase it differently. "Free for consumers and businesses: Both consumers and businesses can download the same Linux operating system."

A Linux distribution is an operating system, like Windows, based on the Linux kernel.

It is also based on the GNU shell.

hanzomon4
May 4th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Also I think the model was popularized by redhat

NCLI
May 4th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Can I make a small correction? Ubuntu is not an operating system, it is a Gnu/Linux distribution.

I find your essay really lovely, I wish you best of luck and happiness :)
I know, but then I would have to cover GNU as well. I'll just stick to the basics for now, it's just an essay for my English class for now, though I'm planning to publish it online later.

I love your avatar btw.

That is not correct. From the GNU website (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html):

What would you write then?

I would phrase it differently. "Free for consumers and businesses: Both consumers and businesses can download the same Linux operating system."
Good suggestion, done.

It is also based on the GNU shell.
Look above ;)

Also I think the model was popularized by redhat

Yup, my mistake. Fixed.

ddrichardson
May 4th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Will do, but could you please be more exact?Its your essay dude :-|.

There's a fair distance between asking for review and asking us to write it.

NCLI
May 4th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Its your essay dude :-|.

There's a fair distance between asking for review and asking us to write it.

True xD

Going to submit it now, thanks for everything.