PDA

View Full Version : The XP emulation is a scam according to the Inquirer

khelben1979
May 3rd, 2009, 07:00 PM
I would like to know what you all think about this article (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1051975/xp-mode-windows-scam) from The Inquirer.

mr.propre
May 3rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
After reading 3 lines it felt if this was written by a windows 'hater' instead of an objective journalist. So I quit reading.

.Maleficus.
May 3rd, 2009, 07:23 PM
After reading 3 lines it felt if this was written by a windows 'hater' instead of an objective journalist. So I quit reading.
^^^ This. Plus, I can't trust any source that can't even get proper capitalization in their page titles (they had "Xp mode in windows 7 is a scam").

spoons
May 3rd, 2009, 07:23 PM
It's heavily biased and the author seems to be very childish. (calling Vista the "Broken OS")

It's no worse than people running XP in a VM under Linux - possibly better if they have stuff to pair it closer to the OS to make things faster. One thing that amuses me is this:

Windows 7 will grab the GPU to run the desktop, and it can't share the device. If it were even possible, you could possibly assign the GPU to XPM, but that would mean you'd lose GPU acceleration for the desktop, CPU use would spike, and things would start to resemble molasses in the winter very quickly. This much brain twisting logic is unlikely to be implemented even if it could somehow technically work. Basically, the host OS, Windows 7, can and must own the GPU fully.

This is pretty much a lie since on Vista atleast, I can run Aero and a 3D game in a window at the same time. No reason why the VM couldn't use the GPU at the same time as Aero.

Another:
I can't say which is sadder, trade press abdication of responsibility, people not questioning what they're fed, or XPM itself. There is one thing that is quite clear, however. If you want XPM now, you can get there at no cost. Go download Ubuntu or Fedora Linux, and use Xen, VMWare or any other free VMM out there with your existing Windows XP licence. You will then have the same end result as using XPM, save money, gain security, and get off the Microsoft treadmill. The choice, and the money you will save, are yours.

Good job you've taught me to question what I'm told, Charlie Demerjian, otherwise I would have believed all this crap. This is the same guy that likes to complain loudly about Nvidia at every available opportunity. His articles are complete garbage.

I'd write more about why the article is bad but I'll leave that to you guys. :lolflag:

RazVayne
May 3rd, 2009, 07:24 PM
"the PC industry press is abdicating its responsibility to report objectively about a vendor's product, and the public is, well, dumb as rocks. It will believe almost anything it's told and never question the source. Yes, I am talking about you."
Fail?

PurposeOfReason
May 3rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
Saw the source and didn't even bother.

Giant Speck
May 3rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
Hmm... I didn't know a tabloid for technology stories existed. Now I know.

forrestcupp
May 3rd, 2009, 07:56 PM
You can't really trust a negative review from an obvious Windows hater. This one quote is just ridiculous:

The Broken OS (Vista) and Windows 7 need a GPU to run their desktops at any speed worth mentioning, that is, they need 3D acceleration.Yeah, it's true that if you're running Aero, it uses your GPU. But on the other hand, if you're using Compiz, it uses your GPU for the desktop, too. So I guess by that argument, Linux sucks just as bad as Vista. No, the truth is that the whole argument for compositing in the first place is that it only makes sense to rely on your GPU to process visual things.

But despite his totally nonobjective bias, I do share his lack of love for XPM. It's just a virtual machine so it will have vm limitations. And you have to own a license for XP to be able to use it; you don't even get that for your extra money. We've already been doing that for free for years with vmware and virtualbox, etc.

It's definitely a gimmick, and that feature alone doesn't make it worth it to pay more for a version that's greater than Home Premium.

Tipped OuT
May 3rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Linux users defending Microsoft Windows!? This is great! :P

*Takes screen shot*

Giant Speck
May 3rd, 2009, 08:12 PM

*Takes screen shot*

Oh, forgive me, I haven't had my Linux Kool-Aid yet this morning.

Paqman
May 3rd, 2009, 08:17 PM

*Takes screen shot*

A) Which post is defending Windows? Attacking a poorly written and irrational criticism of Windows isn't the same thing as defending it.
B) Many (most?) Linux users are also Windows users. There's nothing in the GPL that forces us to hold any particular opinion on any subject.

Tipped OuT
May 3rd, 2009, 08:19 PM
Well, most Linux users that I know just hates Windows for no reason. So doing as much as what you guys are doing is a miracle for me..any ways ignore me, keep going guys. :popcorn:

upchucky
May 3rd, 2009, 08:26 PM
forgive me I thought only morons read the Inquirer? If anyone wants real facts try reputable outlets.

ddrichardson
May 3rd, 2009, 08:31 PM
I don't care for the Inquirer, it's a like a tabloid for the Internet. I got as far as this statement:

It gives long lead previews to people it knows will kiss up and not criticize the OS in order to create 'good buzz'.
The only thing that did was inspire me to actually click on the download link in the email from Microsoft in my inbox to see what its actually like.

Closed_Port
May 3rd, 2009, 08:31 PM

So, you stopped reading an article titled Xp mode in windows 7 is a scam, after the author wrote:

IF YOU HAVEN'T been stuck in a cave lately, you will undoubtedly have heard that Windows Vista SP2.1, aka Windows 7, will have an 'XP mode'. Before you jump up and down for joy, you should know that it won't do what you think it will, it is a scam.
basicly stating the thesis of the article again.

You didn't even bother to read the arguments the author made, you stopped after he had in effect repeated the headline.

And you call the other guy biased? :lolflag:

LightB
May 3rd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Well, most Linux users that I know just hates Windows for no reason. So doing as much as what you guys are doing is a miracle for me..any ways ignore me, keep going guys. :popcorn:

Hate is a strong word but I certainly don't like windows for very good reasons.

Closed_Port
May 3rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
This is pretty much a lie since on Vista atleast, I can run Aero and a 3D game in a window at the same time. No reason why the VM couldn't use the GPU at the same time as Aero.

Did you even read the article? Do you even have the slightest grasp on the matters at hand?

The article does not claim that the VM couldn't use the GPU like any other generic program, on the contrary, that's exactly what the other is describing. However, the VM or rather Win XP running in it, will not be able to use the GPU (or other hardware) directly. That's the point the author is making.

Whether you agree with the author and think that makes XPM a scam, or you don't agree with him or, like me, you couldn't care less, doesn't really matter. But to not have the slightest idea of what the author is talking about, to combine it with the obvious inability to even grasp a simple article in something like the inquirer and then to accuse the author of lying is simply pathetic.
:(

ddrichardson
May 3rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
Hate is a strong word but I certainly don't like windows for very good reasons.
Completely off topic and my Japanese is _very_ basic but why does it say "One Book" in your signature?

SuperSonic4
May 3rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
"the ... press is abdicating its responsibility to report objectively about ..., and the public is, well, dumb as rocks. It will believe almost anything it's told and never question the source."

That part is largely true - look at the Swine Flu thread if you don't believe it

khelben1979
May 3rd, 2009, 09:02 PM
forgive me I thought only morons read the Inquirer? If anyone wants real facts try reputable outlets.

I agree that there are better places to get information, and I made an exception this time.

LightB
May 3rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Completely off topic and my Japanese is _very_ basic but why does it say "One Book" in your signature?

It's not 'one book' it's more like an expression which I'm not sure how would translate to English, but basically it's like saying "strike" in baseball except not in baseball.

ddrichardson
May 3rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
It's not 'one book' it's more like an expression which I'm not sure how would translate to English, but basically it's like saying "strike" in baseball except not in baseball.
Ah OK.

bakedbeans4life
May 3rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
Inquirer = fail.

But it is not the story that is interesting, it is the response to the article on this forum.

Maybe you guys should hang out on the Microsoft forums, I think you would feel more at home.

http://bink.nu/ has a descent Windows 7 section. There you can gush to your heart's content.

Tipped OuT
May 3rd, 2009, 10:37 PM
Inquirer = fail.

But it is not the story that is interesting, it is the response to the article on this forum.

Maybe you guys should hang out on the Microsoft forums, I think you would feel more at home.

http://bink.nu/ has a descent Windows 7 section. There you can gush to your heart's content.
"A) Which post is defending Windows? Attacking a poorly written and irrational criticism of Windows isn't the same thing as defending it.
B) Many (most?) Linux users are also Windows users. There's nothing in the GPL that forces us to hold any particular opinion on any subject."

I think this is a really good quote from Paqman, which you should read. It was a reply to a post I made earlier, but it can apply here too. :P

bakedbeans4life
May 3rd, 2009, 10:55 PM
"A) Which post is defending Windows? Attacking a poorly written and irrational criticism of Windows isn't the same thing as defending it.
B) Many (most?) Linux users are also Windows users. There's nothing in the GPL that forces us to hold any particular opinion on any subject."

I think this is a really good quote from Paqman, which you should read. It was a reply to a post I made earlier, but it can apply here too. :P

I read both comments before I made my own, I always do. Although the fact you decided to respond in kind does reinforce my own conclusions, make of that what you will. We will agree to disagree.

forrestcupp
May 4th, 2009, 02:12 AM
So, you stopped reading an article titled Xp mode in windows 7 is a scam, after the author wrote:
IF YOU HAVEN'T been stuck in a cave lately, you will undoubtedly have heard that Windows Vista SP2.1, aka Windows 7, will have an 'XP mode'. Before you jump up and down for joy, you should know that it won't do what you think it will, it is a scam.

basicly stating the thesis of the article again.

You didn't even bother to read the arguments the author made, you stopped after he had in effect repeated the headline.

And you call the other guy biased? :lolflag:It's not the fact that he restated the thesis; it's the fact that he immaturely called Windows 7 'Windows Vista SP2.1'. That immediately shows his bias.

I can't speak for the person you were responding to, but I did read and understand the entire article. Even though I agree with a few of his points, I can't respect someone who makes one biased derogatory remark after another. He was constantly calling Vista 'Me II' and 'the Broken OS'. Name calling in a supposedly informational article is unprofessional and it turns me off, even if there is a small percentage of decent content.

Why can't Linux users like Windows, too? They abolished the 'Other OS' subforum here, so we have to have these threads somewhere.

LightB
May 4th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Many (most?) Linux users are also Windows users.

Maybe Ubuntu users, very few people running Debian and Windows.

pwnst*r
May 4th, 2009, 02:18 AM
the inquirer. lol.

Tipped OuT
May 4th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Maybe Ubuntu users, very few people running Debian and Windows.

Hm? I didn't say that :lolflag:
That quote ain't mines. [-X

mamamia88
May 4th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Is this the same magazine that seems to have a "I had sex with an alien" story every month?