PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 10 Plymouth

BslBryan
May 3rd, 2009, 06:54 PM
Maybe a worthless poll, but I'm curious, and we're in the Cafe. :P
Anyway, I love Fedora. A lot.

I like Ubuntu just as much now, and they both have pros and cons, but one place that I've noticed that Fedora tops Ubuntu, at least for now, is the very professional graphics/art team.

For example, the Solar theme looks great, IMO. :)

In the Fedora 10 Core release, it was bundled with Plymouth, making possible for the boot up to be very graphics-heavy and better looking.

However, looking at it booting up, is it just me, or do the white solar flares look like maggots crawling all over the blue sun?

Since Fedora 10 isn't compatible with my machine, I've only seen Youtube videos of it booting, but still! It grosses me out.

So, considering how serious this is, I'd like your opinion. :P

artir
May 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
We may have plymouth for the next release

Sand & Mercury
May 3rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
Not really.

mthei
May 3rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
I never thought so until I read the question.

Orlsend
May 3rd, 2009, 07:42 PM
Plymouth is a bitter taste to my Linux appetite. why can't we all stay with the good oldy customisable USplash.

BazookaAce
May 3rd, 2009, 07:46 PM
Can somebody post a screenshot or something??

Screwdriver0815
May 3rd, 2009, 07:55 PM
I like Fedora too but it always disappoints me because it crashes my computer all the time

Maybe I don't have the right optical (?) knowledge but for me Plymouth looks like ember-nests coming from right under the surface of the blue earth. Looks really amazing.

Definitly: NO maggots!!! :)

MellonCollie
May 3rd, 2009, 07:58 PM
Can somebody post a screenshot or something??

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=fedora+plymouth&aq=0&oq=fedora+pl

LightB
May 3rd, 2009, 08:22 PM
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a blue star and solar flares not a planet.

Wait a minute though, I thought plymouth was supposed to be something else, something related to acceleration. This blazing sun thing I believe is only rhgb.

BslBryan
May 3rd, 2009, 09:29 PM
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a blue star and solar flares not a planet.

Wait a minute though, I thought plymouth was supposed to be something else, something related to acceleration. This blazing sun thing I believe is only rhgb.

Yes, it's a blue star and solar flares. Only one person in this thread referenced it as a planet, by the by. :P

Anyway, what do you mean by acceleration?

BuffaloX
May 3rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Cool. 8)
Looks nothing like any bug i know, but doesn't look quite like solar flares either.

I really like the idea of having cool animations on startup, provided I get some to choose from, and they don't eat too many resources.

LightB
May 5th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Yes, it's a blue star and solar flares. Only one person in this thread referenced it as a planet, by the by. :P

Yet no one else but me corrected as to what it was.

Anyway, what do you mean by acceleration?

I looked it up again, I was talking about kms. Although apparently you can use this theme even without kms through vga mode settings. But there is another theme I've seen which looks different and I remember it as being the true plymouth, but I'm not sure. I read that at a fedora forum. Also, the fedora kernel boot line for this still includes "rhgb" so that's why I say that. I could try digging up where I read all that but I don't think anyone cares that much. Somebody can try searching if they are interested. I do know it's related to kms though.