PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Failing at Partitioning

jwilcox746
May 3rd, 2009, 04:20 PM
Hey All,

I'm trying to install Ubuntu on a Dell server; PE860. I'm having nothing but trouble. I'm using the onboard SATA controller, has 1GB ram. I've tried installing 6.06, 8.04, 8.10 all with the same error; "failed at step: Install Base Image".

I've tried the following HDD's, WD160GB, WD250GB, WD1TB and an WD80GB. The only way I can get the install to work is if I do a basic / and Swap partition. Installation fails if I try to setup the following partitions; 10GB /var/run, 10GB /var/lock, 10GB /dev, 10GB /dev/shm and a 150GB /data.

It's as if the number of partitions, or the size of them is somehow hitting a hard limit, but I cant find anything documented that would prove this. I'm using a EXT3 file system on them, with the default block size, that wouldn't seem to be an issue.

Just as a side note, I had the exact same trouble on a Dell SC440 as well. Any input at all would be helpful.

JK3mp
May 3rd, 2009, 04:31 PM
Are you installing server version of ubuntu? And i don't think your HDD would have anything to do with it ;). Try just the default setup routine.

Moop
May 3rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
You're limited to four primary partitions and may be running up against that limit. You could try creating logical partitions inside a extended partition.

I'm assuming you have a good reason for wanting those partions, if not then I'd just use the standard setup or maybe a separate home and data partition.