PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu black screen with wubi install

HIPS
May 3rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
Hi everyone,

I just tried to install Xubuntu on my son's Dell Dimension 4300. I did choose Wubi, so it should be easy to remove if he doesn't like it.

Th installation went well (it did complain that the memory was only 255 Mb instead of 256, but it did not stop or anything).

So when it was time for rebooting I got the boot menu and the progress bar for Xubuntu came up. When the progress bar was almost finished the screen just went black with the cursor in the upper left corner. The only thing I could do was to turn of the power – nothing else worked. I tried to start in recovery mode, but that doesn't work either. It just says [OK] to everything until it goes black again.

The computer is as I mentioned a Dell Dimension 4300 with an Intel Pentium 4 processor (1,7 GHz) and 256 MB RAM. I also has a Nivida GeForce 6200 Graphics card. The OS is XP with SP3.

I have seen others with similar problems, but no real solution yet, so I hope some of you out there can help me with this.

HIPS
May 3rd, 2009, 05:03 PM
Well now it works. I managed to install 9.04 instead and the reboot sequence went well.

But I must say it is slow. I thought Xubuntu would add speed to this old computer but it's the other way around. XP fells like a race car in comparison. I think my son will give it the day before begging for XP again. Which of course is easey because of the dual boot. But if Xubuntu is supposed to be this slow I just have to remove it entirely.

HIPS
May 4th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I'm opening this thread again, since I really need some help.

Yeas I managed to get Xubuntu 9.04 reboot, but it was very slow – slower than windows XP, and today it won't start at all. Ok I can just reinstall since I haven't saved anything, but I'm a bit confused that I get so much trouble with this install compared to when I installed Ubuntu on my own computer, which of course is newer, faster and better, but that was on the other hand the reason I picked Xubuntu for my son.

He's already complaining about “the new program” as he puts it, but that might have to do with the fact that he doesn't have any sound and that flash doesn't work properly. And I just don't want to spend to much time solving those problems if I can't get the system in itself run proprely.

So what to you think, why does the system sometimes refuse to boot? I have discovered that it's more sensitive when there's a CD in the CD player? Should Xubuntu be unbearably slow with the hardware described above? Can it have anything to do with the wireless network (if Xubuntu now in the beginning do a lot of updates)?

Hope some of you have some ideas.

HIPS
May 5th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Please!!!

When I started using Ubuntu I heard from friends that one of the main advantages with running a linux OS was the great help I would get through the community, since I'm not a computer wizard myself. So far I haven't been blessed with much answers to my questions.

So please change this and try to help me sort out the Xubuntu problems I'm having. At least a hint in the right direction would be appreciated. My only alternativ is to go back to XP, because whatever I do Xubuntu wont boot anymore. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled wubi, and everything goes well until the final start of Xubuntu. I just got the circular marker in the middle of the blue background and everything is frozen.

If you guys can't help me, than it's good bye Linux.