PDA

View Full Version : Is Jaunty the best Ubuntu ever?

BuffaloX
May 3rd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Hi all, I just installed Jaunty yesterday, and I'm amazed by how good it is.

What new features do you like most?

The ones I noticed immediately were:

Very fast boot.
Crazy fast shutdown.
Several nice new themes.
Everything worked out of the box.
Changing my IP to static took 15 sec. including changing to Open DNS.
Screen-shot previews in Synaptix.
64 bit Java works flawlessly.
64 bit flash works flawlessly.

akoskm
May 3rd, 2009, 09:59 AM
This is the first day for me on Jaunty. This is my second Ubuntu (first was 6.x something) - so yes, this is the best Ubuntu so far. :)

Sandsound
May 3rd, 2009, 05:21 PM
I was amazed to find that 64bit jaunty was so good.

Everything works flawless, Flash, Java, Wine, Wineasio...

:guitar:

EDIT: and the new Dust theme is awesome ;-)

Icehuck
May 3rd, 2009, 05:39 PM
Intel is a huge segment of machines and not supporting it properly is just a failure. Therefore, Jaunty has to be one of the worst releases yet. Oh and your poll is biased towards Ubuntu and defeats the purpose of a poll.

BuffaloX
May 3rd, 2009, 09:29 PM
Intel is a huge segment of machines and not supporting it properly is just a failure. Therefore, Jaunty has to be one of the worst releases yet. Oh and your poll is biased towards Ubuntu and defeats the purpose of a poll.

Sorry to hear your experience haven't been as positive as mine.

This poll is totally about Jaunty, what do you mean it's biased?
The choices can be boiled down to

1-3 Very good
4 good
5 bad

How's that not good enough for you? Sounds to me your an option 5, which is too bad.

I'm sorry to hear Intel is a problem with Jaunty, especially since I thought Linux was actually a priority for Intel. How come Intel hasn't provided drivers when Nvidia and AMD and many others have?

X1R1
May 3rd, 2009, 09:34 PM
Amazing Distro! every problem that I had with the previous ubuntu version (sound problems) was fixed in this version. Best distro ever!

Phreaker
May 3rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
I will say it again: 9.04 is the best release so far :)

binbash
May 3rd, 2009, 10:21 PM
For speedwise yes it is the best UBUNTU release ever.

Roasted
May 3rd, 2009, 11:49 PM

I run Intel on my one machine.

And Jaunty.

So far so good!

VitaLiNux
May 4th, 2009, 12:14 AM

It is true. As hard as it can sound, Jaunty is too buggy for me. Granted, it's become more and more user-friendly, but it's been having a weird behaviour lately. Maybe it could be an isolated case, but, come on, I've installed many other distros with no issues yet. I'll sit this out with Jaunty. I will not downgrade, I will use something like Opensuse (just to learn a bit more about the Linuxes ;) ) until Ubuntu gets a mature feeling like Debian or Fedora.

itreius
May 4th, 2009, 12:37 AM
So far, it's my favourite Ubuntu release, but it is not my favourite OS or Linux distro.

BuffaloX
May 6th, 2009, 09:22 PM
OK I read up on the Intel problem.

It seems there have been some pretty serious changes in the graphics driver department, with parts of X moved to the kernel to improve performance.

This has for some reason been a problem for Intel, which is quite sad, since they have been first choice for a long time, for people wanting good up to date Linux drivers.

I'm sure users of Intel graphics will enjoy Jaunty when the driver get fixed.

You can read a small article on it here:
http://www.h-online.com/open/Ubuntu-9-04-and-Intel-graphics--/features/113196

I've seen some major improvements in the graphics speed, maybe it's just new drivers, maybe it's the new methods I don't know, but I certainly see very strong speed improvements, especially when opening videos.
Window Management also seems much more responsive. (Compiz)

Mr. Picklesworth
May 6th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Hmrgh... Just installed Fedora on my new netbook. Learned that notification-daemon also looks pretty nice now with proper rgba stuff for the rounded bubble theme (as opposed to the boxy bubbles), their audio setup remains magnitudes better than Ubuntu's (and proves that people should stop blaming PulseAudio for audio trouble; Fedora is that system's home base, and its audio works fine). Further, my bluetooth headset actually worked. Immediately. Appearing as a different audio device that I could direct applications to use. Oh, and KMS (thus plymouth in its full glory) cooperated out of the box on the thing's Intel graphics card. It also has the great new-gdm and DeviceKit fun stuff.

Meanwhile, Ubuntu is making headway by purifying the role of notifications, is not afraid of packaging non-free stuff if it means networking works out of the box (needing to install wifi drivers from a third party and then discovering that ethernet won't work either: Not cool), and has (as I have now accepted, PackageKit aside) a considerably smoother package management experience.
The need for Feduntu gets stronger by the minute.

Oh well, I still prefer Ubuntu on my big laptop, so at least this way I can have both :)

And I guess the real positive part of this is: The last 8 months have been great for the entire free desktop. Not just Ubuntu. Everything just got a lot stronger. All those promising new projects are starting to mature and show their promise.

73ckn797
May 6th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Is Jaunty the best Ubuntu ever?

So far, for myself!

Eisenwinter
May 6th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Poll is biased.

73ckn797
May 6th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Poll is biased.

All of them are!

Eisenwinter
May 6th, 2009, 10:09 PM
All of them are!
No, I mean, there's too many options in favour of Ubuntu 9.04 being the "best release ever".

Cybie257
May 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM
No, I mean, there's too many options in favour of Ubuntu 9.04 being the "best release ever".

View Poll Results: How good is Jaunty? (multiple choice)
Jaunty rulez Best OS evar. 26 28.89%
Jaunty is the best Linux distro ever. 10 11.11%
Jaunty is the best Ubuntu version ever. 48 53.33%
Jaunty is good, but not the best. 17 18.89%
Jaunty didn't work for me. 5 5.56%

Look at the question. Then look at the choices. There is nothing biased here. What are the other choices, based on the question asked, that constitutes being biased???

You either think it's the best OVERALL OS, best Linux Distro, best Ubuntu Distro, (no real opinion), and not at all.

This is a poll about Jaunty. There is nothing biased here. It's pretty clear. Well, apparently not.

Sorry, just felt I had to intervene on simple english language here.

-Cybie

73ckn797
May 6th, 2009, 10:57 PM
view poll results: How good is jaunty? (multiple choice)
jaunty rulez best os evar. 26 28.89%
jaunty is the best linux distro ever. 10 11.11%
jaunty is the best ubuntu version ever. 48 53.33%
jaunty is good, but not the best. 17 18.89%
jaunty didn't work for me. 5 5.56%

look at the question. Then look at the choices. There is nothing biased here. What are the other choices, based on the question asked, that constitutes being biased???

You either think it's the best overall os, best linux distro, best ubuntu distro, (no real opinion), and not at all.

This is a poll about jaunty. There is nothing biased here. It's pretty clear. Well, apparently not.

Sorry, just felt i had to intervene on simple english language here.

-cybie

+1

jackmetal
May 6th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I tested upgrades and clean installs of Jaunty and all worked well.

It's an excellent OS with a number of very good upgrades and speed boosts.

The only problem that I've noticed though (since moving to 9.04) is the Vinagre bug.. That is a killer for me...and is forcing me to find other options for my remote logins (trying other VNC apps, FreeNX, Remote X Login, etc..)

chris200x9
May 7th, 2009, 12:04 AM
starting to sound like windows :lolflag: aLso not trying to be nitpicky but the word "ever" takes into account past present and FUTURE so I will say the same thing i said to windows xp "good you reached as far as you can go, do us all a favor and GO OUT OF BUSINESS!"

Changturkey
May 7th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I'll wait for 9.10.

tcoffeep
May 7th, 2009, 02:11 AM
I'm sorry, but the best Ubuntu will be the Ubuntu version that switched me from Windows to Linux, Feisty Fawn.

stwschool
May 7th, 2009, 03:12 AM
As others have said, failure to support a large segment of the graphics card market makes it a major failure I'm afraid, as that's the kind of thing likely to drive newbies away. Having said that, if you have the right hardware the jaunty ecosystem is excellent, with all my software doing its job wonderfully.

stairwayoflight
May 9th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Ubuntu seems to be getting better with every release. This is exciting. So many things required more work before; now I can use that time to do what really matters--coding!

Jaunty is an excellent development desktop. I like GNU Emacs and Ubuntu provides compiled packages for recent snapshots, vs. releases only like Debian.

There are some annoying things though. mit-scheme tends to be often broken. Thats because newer versions require the older version to compile properly, and the Ubuntu build servers from one release to the next (eg. 8.10 to 9.04) are unable to build the new version from the last one, because it isn't recent enough. But the Debian repositories have a working one. <grumble, grumble>

Codecs and hardware tend to be a breeze. The trouble is, as with the graphics drivers, things tend to break or cause problems from time to time. Thats a tradeoff for 2 advantages Ubuntu provides in my opinion:

1. A really usable configurable system. Apt is awesome, thanks to Debian for a great package manager. You can get just the packages you want and have an extremely usable system built with just what you need. How many of those Fedora features work if you don't install their desktop software slab and install packages on a base system?

2. New software. Fresh packages mean the world to people. The problem is that software is a moving target, and the more it changes, the more problems can occur.

One area that I think could use serious improvement is documentation. Just compare Linux docs in general to eg. FreeBSD, which has a system manual I believe over 1000 pages. Read the manual, and it describes all kinds of things you can do with the system, and the documentation is extremely high quality. There are no little notes (so and so says, I tried /dev/foo, and it worked for me). But to be honest, most of the docs apply only to the base system, which is quite small, and people will still may have to hunt for answers for applications, eg. bluetooth, etc.

One further comment. "Jaunty is the best OS"--I suppose I feel GNU/Linux is not the best OS. In the same way program code should be readable by people and also readable by machines, an OS should be usable by people first, and then also should operate correctly on machines. I use Linux because I can administer one type of system on all my hardware, instead of learning eg. 3 package managers. The reason I use Linux is for hardware support; what it lacks in documentation it makes up for in drivers. I am not interested in a 4-stage install process to get a current snapshot of BSD on my netbook, but when my hardware is supported on BSD I will switch.

While I am on the subject, Debian has a great page/resources to install a base system on netbooks. For all the USB install resources out there, you'd think Ubuntu would be leading the charge in terms of easy installations. I had an alternate install cd (for Hardy though), and after hitting all the F# keys, I couldn't find any option to install a command line system or a base system. You can download usb stick images from Debian that will install whatever you want. I hope Ubuntu incorporates this feature for 9.10.

GeorgeVita
May 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I'm sorry, but the best Ubuntu will be the Ubuntu version that switched me from Windows to Linux, Feisty Fawn.

For me the Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) for the same reason!
Trying an install of 9.04 UNR was a little bit buggy/painfull experience.

Now using 8.10 (install), 9.04 UNR live (from SD card), Puppy 4.2 and ...ix pi.

Regards,
George

freeman2000
May 10th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Is Jaunty the best ever? Well, that's pretty heavy, but I can say that Jaunty runs great! Certainly better than any Windows OS I ever ran. I'm a real noob here. I've been running Linux & Ubuntu for less than a month. On my first Linux day I loaded Intrepid from a Live CD. Everything worked! Dang, where's the challenge? So on day 2, I downloaded & installed Jaunty Beta. By golly, other than a proprietary driver for my graphics card, everything has worked flawlessly. Therefore, I am once again seeking a mental challenge. So with less than 1 month Linux/Ubuntu experience, I took the plunge 2 days ago and downloaded/installed Karmic Alpha. Even though I've only run it 2 days, there's still no challenge - it too just runs flawlessly! Maybe I'll have to go back to Windows for a challenge as MS always breaks. Good luck.

darthchaosofrspw
May 21st, 2009, 08:22 PM
Jaunty is much more than the best Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu ever. Jaunty is the best OS ever. My desktop PC crashes and freezes up when I use XP and Vista and Hardy, especially when I have my nVidia card installed. I'm now using Xubuntu Jaunty, and I haven't had any crashes for freezing up yet, and I still have my nVidia card installed.

Jaunty may be the perfect OS. Fast bootup. Fast shutdown. Stable, stable, stable. And I love XFCE 4.6.

In fact, I love Xubuntu Jaunty so much I remastered it into a customized version called XXCE. So far I've done only an XFCE version, but I'm seriously thinking about doing an LXDE version of XXCE.

Lizzy
May 21st, 2009, 09:35 PM
Unfortunately Jaunty did'nt work for me due to issues with sound, graphics, wireless .... all intel stuff. So i installed Linux Mint 6 since i couldn't find my Ibex CD *LOL, and wait for 9.10. ;)

mamamia88
May 21st, 2009, 10:07 PM
jaunty wasn't working as well as i would like so i switched to mint 6

terabyte1
May 21st, 2009, 10:26 PM
Well since I have a Pentium D CPU (dual core) I went over to 64-bit and went the whole hog with Jaunty Jackalope - god! Its so fast its almost like warp drive. Best features hmm everything loads without a problem and if I want a repository its all there already - its easier than before when I started with the Dapper Drake...Being a part of this community is a real bonus for me and I think Mark Shuttleworth is real cool as a CEO! What more can anyone want? A Spaceman for a leader of Linux for Human Beings :)!:guitar:

hayden92
May 21st, 2009, 10:33 PM
I've been using Ubuntu for about a year now, and I still love it. Jaunty is easily the best Ubuntu release yet. I have played around with other distro's and Windows but I don't believe I'm qualified to judge whether it is the best OS overall.

My Mum's Acer Travelmate still doesn't get wireless yet.... :(

Hayden