PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 with nvidia drivers autodetect wrong resolution, please help!

habys
May 3rd, 2009, 05:14 AM
got a fresh copy of 9.04 and it's amazing,
installed nvidia drivers from the restricted drivers.
i have an nvidia 7600 GS with one VGA port and one DVI port.
i have two identical Dell 1901FP monitors connected with VGA cables (one is using a DVI to VGA converter) that should be doing 1280x1024.

ok, i can turn on both monitors with ease with nvidia's 'x server settings' program. the monitor with the dvi to vga adapter is detected perfectly and the resolution is correct. the monitor plugged directly into the vga is called "CRT-0" and has a resolution of 1024x768.

here is the xorg.conf:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "CRT-0"
HorizSync 28.0 - 55.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 7600 GS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
Option "metamodes" "CRT-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, CRT-1: nvidia-auto-select +1024+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

now, i've tried changing that "nvidia-auto-select" to 1280x1024 and the +1024 to +1280 but that makes the monitor not work.

can someone throw me a bone? :confused::confused:

*edit: the 1901fp are not vga only

bobbiescap
May 3rd, 2009, 06:01 AM
Hi,

I had the same problem and found the issue was with the menu.lst file not updating to reflect the upgrade. The easiest way I found was to edit the file manually.

I have placed the relevant section of my menu.lst file below, which is for the x86-64 kernel so you may need to change the settings to reflect your upgraded kernel.

Obviously partition identification will vary and you should be able to leave these alone in yours.

First in a terminal:

sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.mybak

This will backup the current file in case it needs to be restored.
Then to open the file in an editor:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Then change the relevant entries to reflect the upgraded system, similar to what I have done below:

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=UUID=e300c18a-7bcc-416b-ab16-00d3585e2ccb ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic (recovery mode)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=UUID=e300c18a-7bcc-416b-ab16-00d3585e2ccb ro single

title Ubuntu 9.04, memtest86+
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

Restart once you have done this and you should be able to boot into the new kernel and enable the restricted drivers.

This worked for me, hopefully it will help others.

habys
May 3rd, 2009, 07:26 AM
Actually, I don't seem to have any trouble getting the driver to load. One of the monitors will not show the correct resolution. Thanks though.:-s

habys
May 4th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I swapped the monitors, and have still have only a problem with the VGA connected monitor. Anyone having the same problem?

fuhrysteve
May 5th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I'm also having this problem.. my CRT won't go to 1280x1024 unfortunately since they started trying to get all fancy with xorg.conf, nothing in it seems to make sense anymore..

gaj1967
May 5th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Hi,

I had the same problem and found the issue was with the menu.lst file not updating to reflect the upgrade. The easiest way I found was to edit the file manually.

I have placed the relevant section of my menu.lst file below, which is for the x86-64 kernel so you may need to change the settings to reflect your upgraded kernel.

Obviously partition identification will vary and you should be able to leave these alone in yours.

First in a terminal:

sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.mybak
This will backup the current file in case it needs to be restored.
Then to open the file in an editor:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lstThen change the relevant entries to reflect the upgraded system, similar to what I have done below:

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=UUID=e300c18a-7bcc-416b-ab16-00d3585e2ccb ro quiet splash

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic (recovery mode)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=UUID=e300c18a-7bcc-416b-ab16-00d3585e2ccb ro single

title Ubuntu 9.04, memtest86+
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LISTRestart once you have done this and you should be able to boot into the new kernel and enable the restricted drivers.

This worked for me, hopefully it will help others.

I did what you suggested but made a mistake of copying and pasting your entire code which made it worse. I realized that I shouldn't have changed anything after the UUID. Once I returned it back to what it should be I was able to boot properly.

Once booted I ran /System/Administration/Hardware Drivers and selected the latest Nvidia driver and restarted the system. Then I picked the correct refresh rate to return my screen to what it was before the upgrade.

Thanks bobbiescap