PDA

View Full Version : Is DDR3 worth it?

ProbablyX
May 3rd, 2009, 04:19 AM
Hello =)

I currently have issues running 3D stuff (like QuakeWars and Steam stuff in WINE) which Ive tracked down to the CPU so I have decided to replace the mobo and CPU.

However, should I get a DDR3 mobo or not is the question... I've decided on the Phenom II X4 940 (its on sale).

And after hours of forum browsing and such Ive came up with two configs:

[1]
AMD Phenom2 X4 940 3.0Ghz, AM2+ Black Edition
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4 - ATX - AMD 790X
4GB 800Mhz DDR2 memory I already own (Kingston HyperX)

[2]
ASUS M4A78T-E - ATX - AMD 790GX
Corsair XMS3 - 6 GB ( 3 x 2 GB ) - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3

The reason for 6GB mem is that theres just a £5 difference form 4GB and 6GB

So what do you think? Is DDR3 the way to go? And ofcourse, if my current 800Mhz mems doesnt cut it - sound I go 1 and buy faster memories?

Thanks for your comments - I really hate hardware decissions :P

garythegoth
May 3rd, 2009, 04:20 AM
Hello =)

I currently have issues running 3D stuff (like QuakeWars and Steam stuff in WINE) which Ive tracked down to the CPU so I have decided to replace the mobo and CPU.

However, should I get a DDR3 mobo or not is the question... I've decided on the Phenom II X4 940 (its on sale).

[1]
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4 - moderkort - ATX - AMD 790X

[2]
ASUS M4A78T-E - moderkort - ATX - AMD 790GX
Corsair XMS3 minne - 6 GB ( 3 x 2 GB ) - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3

So what do you think? Is DDR3 the way to go? And ofcourse, if my current 800Mhz mems doesnt cut it - sound I go 1 and buy faster memories?

Not at this point in time no. DDR2 800/1066 is more than enough for anything you can throw at it.

doas777
May 3rd, 2009, 04:24 AM
to be honest, unless you are doing some very specialized, you will not notice any change by buying faster ram.

I've been told that for now, ddr2 is as good as ddr3, but that was almost 2 years ago, so things may have changed. in this case i would say the cost equation says go with the ddr3.

days_of_ruin
May 3rd, 2009, 05:18 AM
Hello =)

[1]
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4 - ATX - AMD 790X

[2]
ASUS M4A78T-E - ATX - AMD 790GX
Corsair XMS3 - 6 GB ( 3 x 2 GB ) - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3

ETQW has a linux installer;)
It will be loads faster that way.

Kareeser
May 3rd, 2009, 05:20 AM
Furthermore, buying specialized "hyper ultra mega" RAM is pointless unless you are doing some hardcore tweaking and overclocking.

For 99% of users, the generic "green chip" RAM (such as Kingston ValueRam and Crucial's Rendition line) will work above and beyond everything that user will ever want.

There are things people should spend money on, like a good power supply (since a cheap one will fry your computer and everything in it), but RAM isn't one of them.

ProbablyX
May 3rd, 2009, 05:30 AM
ETQW has a linux installer;)
It will be loads faster that way.

I am using the Linux version ;)

Kareeser: I agree, though the "HyperX" memories cost the same as the green ones for some reason. I have a Corsair 550W PSU so that should be OK :)

Thanks! I'll go for the first choice then ^^

days_of_ruin
May 3rd, 2009, 05:43 AM
I am using the Linux version ;)

Kareeser: I agree, though the "HyperX" memories cost the same as the green ones for some reason. I have a Corsair 550W PSU so that should be OK :)

Thanks! I'll go for the first choice then ^^

K your post was kinda ambiguous.:lolflag:

ProbablyX
May 3rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
K your post was kinda ambiguous.:lolflag:

Haha why is that :P Mainly a "what PC to getz?!!" thread, with added interest for DDR3 :D

Joeb454
May 3rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
I've got DDR3 in one of my machines, I can honestly say I haven't noticed much of a difference :)

Swagman
May 3rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
I didn't know Swedens currency was Sterling !!

Will you be using a separate soundcard as the onboard sound for that (Asus) Mobo has a Bug report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/347942) on launchpad

although I haven't read if it has been cured.

[Edit]

Alright, got an update here.

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04 beta and the sound is now working. Thought I would give it a try and see if it would do anything and it's working.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Ubuntu 9.04 beta has support for the audio on this mobo.

Cured in 9:04

LightB
May 3rd, 2009, 04:16 PM
It's only worth if you're comparing it to SDRAM. From DDR2 to 3, no, never is comparing to immediately previous RAM.

doas777
May 3rd, 2009, 07:37 PM
keep in mind, while you won't notice any benefit from having DDR3, having an extra 2GB of it for 5$ is something that you might get benefit from (mabye, I've never had more than 3GB in use, ever, on any system). heck the bragging rights are prolly worth 5$.

days_of_ruin
May 3rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
keep in mind, while you won't notice any benefit from having DDR3, having an extra 2GB of it for 5$ is something that you might get benefit from (mabye, I've never had more than 3GB in use, ever, on any system). heck the bragging rights are prolly worth 5$.

The OP will have to run as 64 bit for more than 4 gigs tho.
Don't know if he wants to do that or not.

doas777
May 3rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
The OP will have to run as 64 bit for more than 4 gigs tho.
Don't know if he wants to do that or not.
the way i figure it, if you exceed 3GB, then you already require 64b.