PDA

View Full Version : Showing Ubuntu to my mum

tadcan
May 3rd, 2009, 01:11 AM
So after mentioning Linux/FOSS/Ubuntu to my mum she decided to give it a try. She teaches computers to beginners and web design. She has vista on her laptop which she likes a lot and she heavily uses adobe products.

So tomorrow I'm going to set up a dual boot, walk her through the basics. Add/remove, using passwords, the directories, this forum, documentation etc.

I have no idea how it will go. I'm just hoping the wireless card wont be a hassle to set up.

Any advice?

Kareeser
May 3rd, 2009, 01:17 AM
Start her off with a LiveCD or an installation to a USB jump drive. Then she can try it out on her own terms. Don't rush her.

Next step is a dual boot, and finally, a complete wipe.

Sashin
May 3rd, 2009, 01:24 AM
WINE & Virtual box as well as dual boot.

Luggy
May 3rd, 2009, 01:24 AM
My mother does not have a lot of computer experience, so when she brought her old work computer home and let me put on Ubuntu she lets me call the shots.

This works really well and she is enjoying Ubuntu because all she wants to is check her e-mail and surf the web and if she needs anything else she can just call me to fix it.

Your mom sounds like she knows computers pretty well so you might have to do a lot more hand holding as she stumbles to figure stuff out herself.

tadcan
May 3rd, 2009, 01:26 AM
I explained about the Live CD and wubi, she wasn't interested. So I'll be dual booting first. Then installing inkscape, since the windows version wasn't playing nice with vista.

I'd be very surprised if she wiped out vista. I am more then happy just to have one more person know about FOSS. A mind shift needs to take place where people understand they have a choice first.

Giant Speck
May 3rd, 2009, 01:33 AM
Are you just trying to show it to her or trying to make her switch completely to Ubuntu?

Because if she heavily uses Adobe products, a complete switch might be disastrous. I mean, while some Adobe products work well with WINE, not all of them do and the ones that do work well don't work exactly as they do on Windows.

Sashin
May 3rd, 2009, 01:36 AM
Still if possible try and get as much as her software working via Wine or Virtual box so that windows has less use.

benerivo
May 3rd, 2009, 01:37 AM
Are you just trying to show it to her or trying to make her switch completely to Ubuntu?

Because if she heavily uses Adobe products, a complete switch might be disastrous. I mean, while some Adobe products work well with WINE, not all of them do and the ones that do work well don't work exactly as they do on Windows.

+1

Removing Windows is losing one choice.

infestor
May 3rd, 2009, 01:37 AM
my mom can use firefox! :)
(yeah, a great step for humanity)

FuturePilot
May 3rd, 2009, 02:02 AM

This.

Show it to her, but don't force it. Let her make the decision.

gletob
May 3rd, 2009, 02:53 AM
my mom can use firefox! :)
(yeah, a great step for humanity)

Yeah right leave the Firefox window open once and you hear from the other room:
"What is this Mozilla **** doing on my computer!?!?!"

Then she complains that IE doesn't have a spelll checker and I tell her firefox does and she's like "Well...Meh...Ugh."

My dad won't use it because Favorites in the menu bar is named bookmarks in Firefox.

UGH. :(

squirrelguts
May 3rd, 2009, 06:25 AM
heh my ma just discovered stumble upon......she LOVES it. lol

myusername
May 3rd, 2009, 06:33 AM
i think showing someone wine on their first day can be disastrous. it gives them false hopes. make sure the applications given aren't enough then if all else fails try wine

Paqman
May 3rd, 2009, 06:46 AM
Any advice?

I think you're going to struggle.

There aren't really any good web design tools on Linux that come close to the apps she's used to using. At the end of the day it's the apps that the user needs, not the OS.

Saint Angeles
May 3rd, 2009, 07:25 AM
I think you're going to struggle.

There aren't really any good web design tools on Linux that come close to the apps she's used to using. At the end of the day it's the apps that the user needs, not the OS.
gimp and gedit (or bluefish)

thats all i need and i've been making a living doing web design for a year now. it ok to learn how to code and use a text editor. i wish everybody learned how to code and stopped mangling their sites with dreamweaver.

tadcan
May 3rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
She is curious about Linux. I am not trying to get her to change OS.

I understand people saying don't force anything, but I'm not.

I'll put bluefish on as well. Part of it is that she wants to know what are the equivalent OSS programs.

I'll post how I get on later.

Paqman
May 3rd, 2009, 07:51 PM
gimp and gedit (or bluefish)

thats all i need and i've been making a living doing web design for a year now. it ok to learn how to code and use a text editor. i wish everybody learned how to code and stopped mangling their sites with dreamweaver.

Sure, that works for you, but that's not how he said she likes to work.

Tadcan: Kompozer is probably the closest thing to Dreamweaver, but there's no integrated suite of apps like the Adobe ones.

hyperdude111
May 3rd, 2009, 07:57 PM
It has taken me months to convince my dad that ubuntu deserves a 20gb partition on his hard drive, If only as a backup.

All he does is send emails, surf the web and make spreadsheets. I dont think he'll use ubuntu until the next virus or WGA takes over then hopefully he mightsee the light.

tadcan
May 3rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
I am on her laptop now.

So far she was impressed with the way it looks. I showed her how to install programs from the repos.

The web cam didn't seem to work,*but I've never used one before.

I put some bookmarks for basic help and the ubuntu pocket guide etc

We also installed second life which crashed ubuntu under the strain. The laptop doesn't have the system requirements.

I made a bit of a mistake during the install. I started by creating a 20gig ext4 partition. I remembered being able to put it at the back of the partition during a previous install.*This time it went to the front of the D: drive. I went back to fix it and ended up doing a default install instead. So I deleted the first partition and reformatted it as ntfs.

So I'll see how she gets on as she experiments with the OS.

cguy
May 3rd, 2009, 11:29 PM
Seeing your signature, it must be stated:
DO NOT OPEN THE TERMINAL! :D You can do any common stuff using the GUI.

Mizou
May 3rd, 2009, 11:34 PM
It went very well, tadcan. I was a bit scared that Vista might disappear :lolflag:but you had it all well planned and it was fun to play with the different OS feel and look. You explained it all really clearly. Thanks!
I am planning to work with Inksape, Bluefish and Blender in Ubuntu and maybe who knows write tutorials for my students who might be interested.

Ubuntu crashed in the opening window of Blender, anybody had similar experiences? What could cause it?

A happy Mum

PS ...somebody take that laptop from my hands so I can go to bed :KS

MaxIBoy
May 3rd, 2009, 11:38 PM
I am on her laptop now.

So far she was impressed with the way it looks. I showed her how to install programs from the repos. Good, hopefully she gets you get the picture and look in the repos first before looking on the Web. The packages in the repos are set up specifically to mesh well with the other packages in the repos, which isn't necessarially something you get when you just download a program from the Web. You can make it work, it's just more annoying.

The web cam didn't seem to work,*but I've never used one before. Try installing the program "cheese," that worked for me.

Ubuntu crashing on blender-- maybe you don't have the system requirements? I mean, if SL didn't work, Blender might still work, but it won't work well.

One more thing to keep you awake longer: themes. Most Linux desktops (including GNOME, which is the default desktop environment for Ubuntu Linux) are totally theme-able. I personally like a dark theme (easier on my eyes,) but there are all kinds.
You can find a lot of themes and backgrounds for GNOME here: www.gnome-look.org

Bölvağur
May 4th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Ubuntu crashed in the opening window of Blender, anybody had similar experiences? What could cause it?

If there is no bug I can only assume it is lack of good graphical card or driver to work with it. The system specs have yet to be posted... perhaps you should make a new thread in the absolute beginners sections of these forums and post the output of these 2 commands in the terminal (click applications in the upper left corner → then accessories → then click Terminal... or drag it onto the panel to have it in an easy access place)

blender

(I think that was the command for it, dont have it installed at the moment)
Copy and paste the errors from the terminal (highlight the text → right click → copy)

lspci | grep VGA
This is your graphical card.

and if I remember correctly

glxinfo | grep 'client glx'
To check which one you are actually using.

Sealbhach
May 4th, 2009, 12:16 AM
It went very well, tadcan. I was a bit scared that Vista might disappear :lolflag:but you had it all well planned and it was fun to play with the different OS feel and look. You explained it all really clearly. Thanks!

That's cool.:)

Here's a site showing free and open source alternatives for commercial software:

http://www.osalt.com/

Always check first to see if there's a version in the Ubuntu repositories - it will work better.

Mizou
May 4th, 2009, 12:01 PM
That's cool.:)

Here's a site showing free and open source alternatives for commercial software:

http://www.osalt.com/

Always check first to see if there's a version in the Ubuntu repositories - it will work better.

Thkx I have a look at those, especially a replacement for Dreamweaver is what I am after, so I am planning to try different webdesigning/coding applications for Ubuntu until I find one that is suitable.

toejamfootball
May 4th, 2009, 12:48 PM
My mother bought an Asus EeePC and says she hates Linux :D:D I will be installing Ubuntu on it for her next time I visit..... hopefull that will change her views....

Bölvağur
May 4th, 2009, 01:52 PM
My mother bought an Asus EeePC and says she hates Linux :D:D I will be installing Ubuntu on it for her next time I visit..... hopefull that will change her views....

dont push it though, people are entitled to their prejudicism

toejamfootball
May 4th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Lol, I'm not "pushing" anything. She doesn't like the Distro that came on her EeePC, so I am giving her a better OS....

She still uses XP mainly, and really likes the idea behind Linux (open source etc.), just not Xandros. :)

toejamfootball
May 4th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Lol, I'm not "pushing" anything. She doesn't like the Distro that came on her EeePC, so I am giving her a better OS....

She still uses XP mainly, and really likes the idea behind Linux (open source etc.), just not Xandros. :)

Johnsie
May 4th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Why do people feel the constant need to pressure people into using Ubuntu? If people are happy with Windows then leave them alone and let them have Windows.

Giant Speck
May 4th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Why do people feel the constant need to pressure people into using Ubuntu? If people are happy with Windows then leave them alone and let them have Windows.

I understand what you are saying and I agree with you for the most part, but that is not what is going on in this thread. The mother is exhibiting an active interest in trying Ubuntu.

tadcan
May 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM

Not sure who this is aimed at. No one is talking about pressuring people to try Ubuntu.

Sealbhach
May 4th, 2009, 03:00 PM

I agree, but I don't think anyone on this thread has been pushy. Pushing Linux on someone is very likely to backfire badly.

MaxIBoy
May 4th, 2009, 04:35 PM

She still uses XP mainly, and really likes the idea behind Linux (open source etc.), just not Xandros. :)Can't say I blame her. Xandros is pretty terrible.

mamamia88
May 4th, 2009, 04:37 PM
i wouldn't dare show it too my parents. they woke me at 1 am to help them install an ink cartridge

Mizou
May 4th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Really are u all fighting over a Mum trying Ubuntu?

OK just to cool down this issue: I love trying out OpenSource applications and OS that is my starting point.
I have been trying it out today again after installation by tadcan yesterday and a few problems arose which i mentioned already but the worse is that i can't connect to the wireless home network since this morning.

So the problems are the following:

no internet connection
poor sound
integrated webcam doesn't work
inkscape logs me out if i try anything other then simple drawing
blender does not work at all

2. The positive side:

I never give up :KS !!

tadcan
May 5th, 2009, 12:46 AM
I enabled a propriety driver before I left so I think this has caused the problem. I've sent instructions for turn this off.

Basically what happened is the wireless networks were not seen when the laptop booted this morning. It saw them when I first installed Ubuntu.

I'll go through figuring out the 3d issues and graphics card when I visit. Showing how to use the terminal and absolute basic users section to get help.

phaed
May 5th, 2009, 01:22 AM
My parents are so computer illiterate, I don't think they realize they've been using Linux for the last 3 years. They probably thought it was a new Windows theme. :) The important thing is that it was easy for them to learn. Put all the necessary apps in the panel and voila.

It seems that non-experts should be easier to switch to Linux because they have very basic computing requirements. Check email, facebook, IM, use a word processor. They don't need advanced Photoshop or Dreamweaver features.

BTW, after signing up as a "fan" of Open Source software and Ubuntu on Facebook, I saw a distant "friend" update their status to "is learning about Ubuntu." It's the little things that matter. One step at a time. :)

greyheart
May 5th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Just tried installed yesterday. Facing lots of problem, while slowly try to solve them. Never give up! :KS

MaxIBoy
May 5th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Really are u all fighting over a Mum trying Ubuntu?We've fought over worse. There's no real ill will flying around. (But mention "emacs" or "vi" here and all bets are off.)

Mizou
May 5th, 2009, 09:21 AM
We've fought over worse. There's no real ill will flying around. (But mention "emacs" or "vi" here and all bets are off.)
Thkx for putting my mind at rest MaxIBoy.

Mizou
May 5th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I enabled a propriety driver before I left so I think this has caused the problem. I've sent instructions for turn this off.

Basically what happened is the wireless networks were not seen when the laptop booted this morning. It saw them when I first installed Ubuntu.

I'll go through figuring out the 3d issues and graphics card when I visit. Showing how to use the terminal and absolute basic users section to get help.
Thkx tad would be nice.
It's a steep learning curve but very interesting one. I just want it to work with view of teaching it maybe. Reading bits of the manual you gave me and tried a few things. I like it's simplicity.
See u soon.

Mizou
May 5th, 2009, 11:16 AM
[quote=tadcan;7214571]I enabled a propriety driveversion havr before I left so I think this has caused the problem. I've sent instructions for turn this off.

Brilliant !! Instructions worked! Am now answering from Mozilla browser in Ubuntu.
Thkx Tad.
PS Btw where do i find the version that i have?

toejamfootball
May 5th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Can't say I blame her. Xandros is pretty terrible.
Yep, not the best.

Bölvağur
May 5th, 2009, 01:07 PM
[quote=tadcan;7214571]PS Btw where do i find the version that i have?

the easiest way to do that is ctrl+alt+f1 and to go back ctrl+alt+f7, these are different run levels which you can log into (play a song on your desktop, then switch to run level 1 and log in there... the music will begin to play, type exit to log out and the music will stop... then go back to run level 7 to continue doing what ever you where doing)

The best way is typing this into the terminal though;

lsb_release -a

Mizou
May 5th, 2009, 01:31 PM
[quote=Mizou;7217381
PS Btw where do i find the version that i have?[/quote]

Found it!

Sealbhach
May 5th, 2009, 02:07 PM
So the problems are the following:

no internet connection
poor sound
integrated webcam doesn't work
inkscape logs me out if i try anything other then simple drawing
blender does not work at all
2. The positive side:

I never give up :KS !!

Can anybody help with these issues?

I don't know why wireless would stop working, perhaps there's a new daemon that needs to be blacklisted or something?
Anyone aware of problems with Inkscape and Blender (I assume they're installed from the repos)?
The webcam may never work, if the manufacturer refuses to help the Linux devs to write a driver. Type "lsusb" in terminal, it will probably tell us what kind of a webcam it is.

MaxIBoy
May 5th, 2009, 05:37 PM
If the program "cheese" doesn't see your webcam, you can check this page (http://www.linux-drivers.org/usb_webcams.html) to see if your specific model of webcam is supported, or if it's possible to get it working.

Personally, though, I never use my (working) webcam, because laptop integrated webcams tend to be of very poor quality.

Mizou
May 6th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Can anybody help with these issues?

I don't know why wireless would stop working, perhaps there's a new daemon that needs to be blacklisted or something?
Anyone aware of problems with Inkscape and Blender (I assume they're installed from the repos)?
The webcam may never work, if the manufacturer refuses to help the Linux devs to write a driver. Type "lsusb" in terminal, it will probably tell us what kind of a webcam it is.

The wireless is working now since this morning it was a simple change (System/Hardware drivers/deactivate 'Alternate Atheros "madwifi" driver), tadcan send me the instructions.
Inkscape and Blender were installed from the repos so could it my on-board poor graphics card?
Webcam is integrated in the laptop typing 'lsusb' in terminal gave following line amongst others:
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04f2:b070 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Thkx

MaxIBoy
May 6th, 2009, 03:24 AM
As a rule, integrated graphics chipsets aren't capable of heavy-duty 3D work. I could see Blender choking on an older chipset. I'd expect it to at least run, but maybe choke as soon as the polygon count started getting too high.

Inkscape, though, ought to run without a hitch, it's not exactly a heavy program. Try pulling up a terminal (applications ==> accessories ==> terminal) and typing in "inkscape." Hit enter. If it crashes, copy and paste the text that appears in the terminal into a post (highlight the text, right click, then hit "copy," because "ctrl-c" in the terminal means "cancel.") If it's an error message, we could look at it to troubleshoot.

Chicony USB webcams also work flawlessly under Linux (that's what my webcam is.) If the program "cheese" doesn't see it, that's worthy of a bug report.

Sealbhach
May 6th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Alright, Google found me this for the webcam:

http://www.cs.uku.fi/~modinos/ubuntu.html (http://www.cs.uku.fi/%7Emodinos/ubuntu.html)

Please note this how-to is dated Jan 2009 and so the latest version 9.04 may be different.

Fixing the web camera

The web camera is identified from the 'lsusb' output as one manufactured by Chicony and it is supported by the drivers that ship with Ubuntu 8.10. Unfortunately there are two things that prevent it from working out-of-box. One is a legacy setting with the ATI video card drivers, and another is a buggy update to the libv4l library. Both are easy and quick to fix however.
To correct the problem with the ATI drivers we need to edit xorg.conf configuration file. It can be edited by issuing the command gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf in a terminal window. Find the part where it says

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection and change it to:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
EndSection Now save the modified file and reboot.

The libv4l-0 is a collection of video4linux support libraries. Recently it received an update which in my case resulted in the web cam not working properly. We need to lock the package to the older working version. This is handy so that one doesn't install the update by accident next time there are other updates available. If you already installed the updated version, you can downgrade it by doing the following (after step 1 skip to step 6, if you haven't updated the package and your web cam is working):

Open 'Synaptic Package Manager' (System->Maintenance->Synaptic...)
Search for the package libv4l-0
Select the package from the search results and then hit Ctrl+E.
Set the package version to 0.5.0-3~intrepid1
In the main window hit 'Apply' to downgrade.
Search for libv4l-0, and select it.
From the pull-down menu 'Package' select 'Lock version'

Now you will no longer be notified to update libv4l-0, and your web cam will keep working!