PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to Connect to local server using SSH?

wayne
May 3rd, 2009, 01:01 AM
I want to connect to a local server through a Comcast SMC broadband NAT router for admin tasks and just realized I don't know what host name to put in the SSH client app.. I tried the router WAN IP and the server host name but no luck. I know it's not the server private IP address. The network is setup as a workgroup not a domain. The old server was a gateway and had a public address and I just put the public address, user name & password in the SSH software and that was it. But, this new server is on the local network behind the firewall. I just setup this Ubuntu 8.04 LTS file server & installed SSH Server & also forwarded port 22 on the router.

I'm stuck and it's probably a simple answer but, can anyone give me some ideas on this?

Thanks in advance

cariboo
May 3rd, 2009, 01:07 AM
Check canyouseeme (http://www.canyouseeme.org/) to see if your isp is blocking any ports, or to see if you have port 22 open on your router.

wayne
May 3rd, 2009, 01:31 AM
Thanks I will try that Monday when I'm in the client's office. So if the ISP is blocking port 22 I should just change it to some random port #?

Also any thoughts on what host name I might use?

drave99
May 4th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks I will try that Monday when I'm in the client's office. So if the ISP is blocking port 22 I should just change it to some random port #?

Also any thoughts on what host name I might use?

you use the IP or name(www.yourcompany.com) of the router.
you also need a port forwarding rule in the router, to forward connections on port 22 to the internal server