PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Server not working. At all.

GolemdX
May 2nd, 2009, 11:33 PM
ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron server edition with desktop and edubuntu installed over top of it.

I was adding something to my website when I decided to use the desktop as a transfer point for the files.

I moved the files to another folder, and then realized I forgot some hidden files on the desktop. When I tried moving what I thought were my files, I got an error so I decided to delete them and re-extract the whole thing. It turns out, that over 5GBs of files were there, but I stopped it before it deleted most of them... Ctrl-Z didn't do anything, nothing would open and the window that was open couldn't access the trash. I reset it and all it's showing is a badly sized hardy wallpaper.

Actually, the only thing working is in fact, the website itself.

What can I do?!?

GolemdX
May 2nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
OK, I'm using plain old server by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1, but what were in those hidden folders on the desktop? How can I restore (or recreate) them?

GolemdX
May 3rd, 2009, 04:04 AM
OK, can anybody tell me what (and if) the hidden files on the ubuntu desktop are?

HermanAB
May 3rd, 2009, 04:26 AM
Howdy,

The 'Desktop' is just a subdirectory /home/username/Desktop. There should not be anything in it, except for the odd Icon file.

GolemdX
May 3rd, 2009, 04:36 AM
OH! I think my Desktop was actually mapped to my home folder! So they were hidden files from my home folder, not the Desktop.

GolemdX
May 3rd, 2009, 04:04 PM
Can anybody tell me what I would need to install that was in my <home folder>? Can I just create a new user or what do I need to reinstall?

koenn
May 3rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
the hidden files in your homes are settings and preferences for programs you use. Normally they will be recreated (with default values) as needed. If that doesn't happen and a program refuses to start, you'd have to re-install that program.

GolemdX
May 3rd, 2009, 05:39 PM
Well absolutely nothing is starting. All it is showing is an offset picture of the Hardy background, and the monitor says it's the wrong frequency.

Would creating a user VIA terminal recreate the files needed to use the computer?

EDIT: Do you think I deleted system files? Seeing as how there were more than 5GB of things there...

GolemdX
May 5th, 2009, 09:05 PM
OK, I purged ubuntu-desktop and it was less than 1MB, what package would I need to remove to revert it back to server?

brendan.lefoll
May 6th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I think your getting confused. Ctrl+alt+F1 doesnt give you "server", its just a plain old command line instead of a gui.

If you screwed up your home directory and dont mind loosing it, just do this

sudo su
userdel user
rm -rf /home/user
useradd user
mkdir /home/user
(if it wasnt there allready)
chown user.user /home/user
passwd user
(enter password)

and reboot back to GDM and type everything in (you dont actually need to reboot, but its probably a better idea for less confusion)

to make ubuntu normal edition server edition you basically have to install and remove a bunch of packages, the only difference is what is installed by default!

GolemdX
May 6th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I know Ctrl-Alt-F1 was command line (Terminal). I was just asking how to revert back to ubuntu server, without anything else installed.

I only asked that because nobody was answering my other question, I'll try that out right now, the important files in my home folder is actually just a mounted drive.