PDA

View Full Version : Do you like Google (except search) ?

mohitchawla
May 2nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
Talking of everything Google except search - mail, gadgets, android, chrome, docs etc.

Its a simple enough poll. A no from my side. I will wait for the thread to pick up and then start ranting/giving reasons. :popcorn:

PurposeOfReason
May 2nd, 2009, 08:43 PM
Overall, I like google. There are some things that I think they take to far. They're getting their hands into too many places.

Sealbhach
May 2nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
Google Earth? Yes I like it, but not really anything else except search - especially Google Books and Scholar.

Paqman
May 2nd, 2009, 09:02 PM
I love Google, they make fantastic tools. Google calendar and Gmail runs my life.

They're also massive supporters of Linux.

Muffinabus
May 2nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
I love GMail and iGoogle, use them both regularly. Also interested in Google Voice when it's released (:

Rokurosv
May 2nd, 2009, 09:08 PM
Yes I like Google and all their services. I use Gmail, Calendar, Reader, Docs and of course Search. I think they provide great services plus they're supporters of open source.

Mehall
May 2nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
GMail is very well done, and google maps is a fantastic tool. I understand the issues associated with Streetview, but found it incredibly useful the other day, as just looking at a map is not very useful when looking for a place, but looking at the view from (near) ground level is VERY useful.

Happy_Man
May 2nd, 2009, 09:26 PM
I don't think I could go about my life without Gmail and Google Docs. Or Google search, for that matter.

Einsamkeit
May 2nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
Google is a good search tool, but I think it should've stayed a search tool instead of being everywhere and having a gazillion services linked to it.
Google StreetView almost scares me, really, the whole thing has become just too big.

skymera
May 2nd, 2009, 10:44 PM
I want Google's babies.

dragos240
May 2nd, 2009, 10:49 PM
hai

mohitchawla
May 3rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
^^ :???:

Anyway, I didn't expect it to be liked so much, leaving aside search.

Gmail's interface & usual operation is annoying. And the amount of spam I get is so much more than on my account on yahoo, taking into the consideration the nature & number of sites ( no pr0n !) I have subscribed/communicated with are almost equal. And people here going gung-ho over their contribution/dedication towards open source/linux is certainly surprising. I can't even think of using Docs some day, certainly not on my data...no way. I am paranoid about them barging into my privacy on the net with every frikkin' product of theirs, and I'd rather just stick to using search.

ice60
May 3rd, 2009, 07:01 PM
i hate google on principle, i don't use their services.

i don't like nerds either, you definitely need to keep well away from people who tuck their shirts in to their underpants, wears inch thick glasses and thinks they're abit wacky - a typical google employee.

i couldn't listen to more than 1:40, but this is what i mean -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmjCtu2L_5A

they're such a bunch of drips.

glotz
May 3rd, 2009, 07:49 PM
Do you like the US government?

gjoellee
May 3rd, 2009, 07:51 PM
Google Earth and Youtube

Paqman
May 3rd, 2009, 08:12 PM
I am paranoid about them barging into my privacy

Everybody who provides you some kind of service holds a certain amount of data about you.

The phone company knows where you are at all times and logs your calls, the government knows where you live, where you work and how much you earn, your ISP knows what sites you visit, etc, etc. Google is only one of a very long list of organisations to fret about if you're going to be paranoid.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
May 4th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I love GMail and Google Maps. That's about it, I don't use any of their other services :P

-grubby
May 4th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I use many of Google's services and desktop applications.

meeples
May 4th, 2009, 12:46 AM
i love google they do so many good tools, i always use google shopping when im looking for a bargain.

and i know that a few years ago (i dont know about now) the google office's computers ran ubuntu ;)

i saw that on a news story of ubuntu on youtube.. LOL

yea google are good:)

HappinessNow
May 4th, 2009, 12:55 AM
gmail, google documents, youtube, chrome/chromium, etc. etc.

lswartz
May 4th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I just saw the street view of Madrid's southeastern suburbs. Very impressive.

pwnst*r
May 4th, 2009, 03:17 AM
i am at one with the borg.

SLEEPER_V
May 4th, 2009, 03:43 AM
i use gmail and the search, but for the most part I'm ambivilent

jespdj
May 4th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Yes, I like Google.

They have a lot of great stuff, like Google Earth, Gmail and Android. They support open source software in a big way with the Google Summer of Code (http://code.google.com/soc/).

Orlsend
May 4th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I love all their web-apps, but I hate all the install apps! well maybe Google earth deserves a clap.

sujoy
May 4th, 2009, 09:00 AM
google search, google mail, and a tiny little bit of orkut :D

super breadfish
May 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I like their products, but not their privacy record.

sertse
May 4th, 2009, 11:10 AM
google search, gmail and maps have been invaluable to me.

hoagie
May 4th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Yes I use Gmail, Calendar, Google Scholar and Books regularly. However at times I feel a bit insecure about their privacy policy. :confused:

roachk71
May 4th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Yes, there are a couple of Google services besides search I'm quite fond of:

I have an iGoogle page and have it set as my Firefox home page, and
I really appreciate GMail's POP3 and IMAP support (I tend to use the latter much more now).

They might be getting too involved in several areas, but there's still quite a lot to like about Google.

chucky chuckaluck
May 4th, 2009, 08:41 PM
i love search, gmail, image and video searches, maps and streetview (i keep my blinds closed so no one can see me dressing up as adolf hitler).

NCLI
May 4th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I think the whole Streetview scare is overblown. I don't see any issues with it.

steev182
May 4th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I love google so much that I want to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!

but seriously, they are doing great things and I guess are the same as any large company with a big direct relationship with their consumers. They aren't a big conglomerate like GE, but behind their public image they are just like Microsoft and Apple. They are getting themselves into a position where we depend on them for so much, which I'm trying to get away from myself with Apple. Let's just hope they current management stays in charge, because if they leave, things might turn sour.

laurenipsum
May 5th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I <3 Google.

I'm using - let's see - Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Photos, Reader, Maps, Groups, Scholar, Earth and Chrome. Except for the pesky GoogleUpdater.exe, I've got no problems with its products. Not really paranoid about my information...should I be?

oomingmak
May 5th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I will not permit any Google product on any of my computers.

ice60
May 5th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Do you like the US government?
are you asking me? it seems a bit of an odd question lol.

i think the US federal government is great, it works well. the thing i hate more than anything else is the european federal government, i can't put in to words my hate for the eu. i'd die happy if i died fighting the eu.

eilu
May 5th, 2009, 04:20 PM
All hail the Googly Overlords.
I use iGoogle, Scholar, Maps, mail... can't wait for GDrive.

abhilashm86
May 5th, 2009, 04:26 PM
i almost don't like google,gmail but spams and hacking simple chats, i'm expecting newer search over internet like face detection n speech realted searches........
maybe search engine also need to interact with us using speech.......

richg
May 5th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I use Scroogle.

http://www.scroogle.org/

Rich

sertse
May 5th, 2009, 05:11 PM
lol @ people blaming gmail for the spam in their emails.

Spam in your Inbox is directly dependent on your browsing habits. It's even empirically provable. Try making a new Gmail account, and never use it. Login a few months later, it will just be empty as when you made it.

Spam comes in how you use the email account on your Internet activities. Emphasis on the word "you". "You" the user. In the end you're responsible, stop blaming the service for your mistakes.

My original Gmail account receives a lot of spam. I take full responsibility for that happening. I might of not read carefully that signing up for something means my account would be given to advertisers. I might of posted my email on boards in a way that make it easy for bots to find it and spam at. But in the end, that is not "Gmail"'s fault, but what I did as a user.

sertse
May 5th, 2009, 05:13 PM
lol @ people blaming gmail for the spam in their emails.

Spam in your Inbox is directly dependent on your browsing habits. It's even empirically provable. Try making a new Gmail account, and never use it. Login a few months later, it will just be empty as when you made it.

Spam comes in how you use the email account on your Internet activities. Emphasis on the word "you". "You" the user. In the end you're responsible, stop blaming the service for your mistakes.

My original Gmail account receives a lot of spam. I take responsibility, but it was partly my own fault for that happening. I might have not read carefully that signing up for something means my account would be given to advertisers. I might have posted my email on boards etc in a way that make it easy for bots to find it and spam at. But in the end, that is not "Gmail"'s fault, but what I did as a user.

Nowadays, in my new Gmail account, I'm a lot more careful in how I present it. Guess what? I don't receive spam on that one.

rajeev1204
May 5th, 2009, 05:20 PM
In this day and age, a tool like google docs is just invaluable.A doc which can be collaboratively edited by people anywhere on earth ,i dont think the OP has even seen or used the feature.

Of course it helped that my company email uses google and i got introduced to google docs, and its a part of our everyday work now.

Google calender , and other tools which many here have stated, i think are invaluable in a work environment.

Maybe the OP is still in school.

And as far as spam is concerned ,its correct what the previous poster said, its directly proportional to our usage.

Register and get spam.Dont,and get less.
My hotmail account btw, which i rarely use has absolutely no spam at all.
I use it to register on the 'good or trustworthy' sites which dont give out emails as company policy.

richg
May 5th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I have Gmail and get spam but it goes into the spam folder. No big deal. Gmail does a better job than Yahoo mail as once in a while spam slips past the Yahoo filter into the inbox.
I use web based access for both so I recognize the spam immediately and delete it.
For Yahoo and Google, I only log in to read mail and I clear ALL data in Firefox when I close the browser and I close the browser five or six times a day
I log into something when only absolutely necessary

Your mileage may vary.

Rich

adamlau
May 5th, 2009, 05:40 PM
No. Just search.

mohitchawla
May 5th, 2009, 10:14 PM
In this day and age, a tool like google docs is just invaluable.A doc which can be collaboratively edited by people anywhere on earth ,i dont think the OP has even seen or used the feature.

Of course it helped that my company email uses google and i got introduced to google docs, and its a part of our everyday work now.

Google calender , and other tools which many here have stated, i think are invaluable in a work environment.

Maybe the OP is still in school.

And as far as spam is concerned ,its correct what the previous poster said, its directly proportional to our usage.

Register and get spam.Dont,and get less.
My hotmail account btw, which i rarely use has absolutely no spam at all.
I use it to register on the 'good or trustworthy' sites which dont give out emails as company policy.

Thanks for breaking the news Sherlock but I wouldn't trust anyone to handle my data/information. Someone else's server about which I don't know anything, over which I have no control, manipulating my documents...the very thought is ridiculous. And I do know which sites I register on and their nature but it just so happens that I still get a lot of spam. Yes it goes into the spam folder, thanks for filtering it out but I shouldn't be getting it in the first place. Now if you have have anything else to say apart from guessing if I am still in school or not, do consider framing a better reply.

LowSky
May 5th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I like some of what google does, personally I think they are one of the better guys out there.
I think its funy that they created Android without a trademark on the name and they and there phone supprters are now getting sued
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/01/google_android_trademark/

Redundant Username
May 6th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I love google sketch-up I'm currently learning how to use it. I wish it would work in ubuntu.
I also love igoogle and google earth. I wish google earth would work in ubuntu without any bugs.
I love google chrome I wish it would run natively in ubuntu. *cries*

joey-elijah
May 6th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I do love Google. I think people have unrealistic expectations of what Google should or shouldn't be doing... their track record speaks for itself tbh - Linux ports (even native versions!) of applications, kick started linux-based Android, use a custom version of Ubuntu in-house, summer of code, free-time projects....

joey-elijah
May 6th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I love google sketch-up I'm currently learning how to use it. I wish it would work in ubuntu.
I also love igoogle and google earth. I wish google earth would work in ubuntu without any bugs.
I love google chrome I wish it would run natively in ubuntu. *cries*

Google's Chromium is maturing very nicely, so it won't be long for Chrome. A beta by June, i'm sure.

Google Earth runs flawless for me - what issues do you have out of interest?

Don't forget that if you use Jaunty you can make Google Earth use your GTK theme by running it as: -

googleearth -style GTK+

rajeev1204
May 6th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Thanks for breaking the news Sherlock but I wouldn't trust anyone to handle my data/information. Someone else's server about which I don't know anything, over which I have no control, manipulating my documents...the very thought is ridiculous. And I do know which sites I register on and their nature but it just so happens that I still get a lot of spam. Yes it goes into the spam folder, thanks for filtering it out but I shouldn't be getting it in the first place. Now if you have have anything else to say apart from guessing if I am still in school or not, do consider framing a better reply.

So i guessed right then.

And btw,whose server do you think your emails are stored in? Your home server? There is no real privacy today and like a previous poster said,all our personal information is shared with someone somewhere.

When you join an institution , you give your address,your phone number,your family member names etc in the admission form,so some part of your personal space is already known to somone else.

I just pointed out why some applications from google are good to have.No need to get emotional about it.

But i do apologise if i pulled your nerve.

monsterstack
May 6th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I'm generally ambivalent about google's other offerings save for a few. I think the summer of code stuff is a great thing, though. I do notice that a lot of the anti-google stuff going around is more than a little bit dishonest, however. Google has its fingers in many pies, and as a result they have many competitors who don't like them very much.

Attempts to slander their carbon footprint (http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article5489134.ece) [timesonline.co.uk] for instance. Or how about claiming that google makes us all stupid (http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/google)? [theatlantic.com] Then there are the farmers (http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/08/14/corn-farmers-against-google) [webpronews.com] who don't like google very much either. It's become so prevalent that more than a few people are claiming that there is a plot to destroy google (http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/17-02/ff_killgoogle?currentPage=all) [wired.com].

Here's a choice quote from an article about how newspapers are being destroyed (http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=45&aid=158432) [poynter.org]:

"But one of the -- Google -- I mean, the harsh way of just defining it, Google devalues everything it touches. Google is great for Google, but it's terrible for content providers, because it divides that content quantitatively rather than qualitatively. And if you are going to get people to pay for content, you have to encourage them to make qualitative decisions about that content."

There are other examples (http://www.poynter.org/content/content_view.asp?id=142379) [poynter.org] of google-bashing over on that site too if anyone cares to look.

Some people appear to have legitimate privacy concerns (http://www.out-law.com//default.aspx?page=9889) [out-law.com] about google's activity, but the trouble is an awful lot of corporate-funded lobbyists are picking on that very same issue (http://www.pcworld.com/article/161217/microsoftled_privacy_group_backs_off_legislation.h tml?tk=rss_news) [pcworld.com] which it could be argued puts a dent in this argument's credibility.

Quite a few media giants are unhappy at google for not showing their premium content at the top of people's searches too (http://techdirt.com/articles/20090322/2124184207.shtml) [techdirt.com]. Encyclopaedia Britannica were grumbling about similar issues with google's relationship with wikipedia (http://techdirt.com/articles/20090122/2239183495.shtml) [techdirt.com] too. Some people in the music biz have been blaming google for a multitude of problems (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7942045.stm) [bbc.co.uk] too, and want google to be officially investigated (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article5908409.ece) [timesonline.co.uk] to boot. Newspapers similarly would like google to be investigated too, only this time on google's effect on journalism (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/250488/guardian-wants-government-to-look-at-google-news.html) [pcrpo.co.uk]. Plenty of people seem to think google should pay up for their news services (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/18/INVF17285F.DTL) [sfgate.com].

Still no-one has compared google's practices to terrorism yet. Ohshi- (http://blogs.ft.com/maverecon/2009/04/gagging-on-google/) [ft.com]

mohitchawla
May 6th, 2009, 05:37 PM
So i guessed right then.

And btw,whose server do you think your emails are stored in? Your home server? There is no real privacy today and like a previous poster said,all our personal information is shared with someone somewhere.

When you join an institution , you give your address,your phone number,your family member names etc in the admission form,so some part of your personal space is already known to somone else.

And you won't stop playing Sherlock. I need to re-emphasize the fact that I am aware of the nature of sites I register & there is not much for me to worry about if someone gets to know some of the details. As far as the other details you are talking about, you missed the point. Its not my address/name I am worried about, its the information contained in my documents that worries me. By using Docs, I am giving them everything...the "information" in my documents. Personal documents. MY information MY personal/professional data THEIR control THEIR will. Definitely the idea doesn't appeal to me.

I just pointed out why some applications from google are good to have.

No you did not. All you said was blah blah google rocks blah blah i love google blah blah .

But i do apologise if i pulled your nerve.
<snip>

P.S. I don't have a perennial hatred for Google. I was just curious of what people think here & general practices.

mohitchawla
May 6th, 2009, 05:39 PM
EDIT: Double post, sorry.

bapoumba
May 6th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Time for a little cool off period. Stay tuned.