PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Linux terminology

forrestcupp
May 2nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Why do people say 'distro' when the full word is spelled 'distribution' with an 'i'? It's infecting people's minds with bad spelling habits. I've seen too many people spell the full word 'distrobution'.

PhrankDaChickenGeek
May 2nd, 2009, 08:35 PM
That made me laugh!

Abbreviations don't just use the first part of a word - Many times later vowels are kept - There is an 'o' in distribution, so there's your answer, I guess...

Screwdriver0815
May 2nd, 2009, 08:39 PM
in german distribution is shortened in "distri" - better? :D

Dr Small
May 2nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
lol. I don't know. Distro just sounds better than distri ? :D

SomeGuyDude
May 2nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
I dunno, what the heck is up with "won't"? Why does the name "Margaret" shorten to "Peggy"? These things just happen.

swoll1980
May 2nd, 2009, 09:29 PM
Why does the name "Margaret" shorten to "Peggy"? These things just happen.

Margaret also shortens to Daisy. Go figure. Richard = **** Robert = Bob these make no sense either.

swoll1980
May 2nd, 2009, 09:33 PM
"won't"?

Wo not.

perce
May 2nd, 2009, 09:41 PM
Margaret also shortens to Daisy.

That actually makes sense.

distribution -> distro is like combination -> combo; I hate it, but it's how things work in American English.

Sublime Porte
May 3rd, 2009, 03:11 AM
I hate it, but it's how things work in American English.

Actually it's more likely from Australian English. In Australian English we almost always shorten words with an 'o' on the end. Some examples:

Garbage collector = Garbo
Ambulance driver = Ambo
Service station (gas station in American?) = Servo
Compensation = Compo

So it's probably an Aussie who first coined the term "distro".

cariboo
May 3rd, 2009, 03:18 AM
Where did towee come from then?

towee = tow truck driver

in Australian english

diectus
May 3rd, 2009, 05:11 AM
this seems like a waste of perfectly good resources...

forrestcupp
May 3rd, 2009, 01:02 PM
Why does the name "Margaret" shorten to "Peggy"? These things just happen.I honestly did not know that. That is strange.

distribution -> distro is like combination -> comboI hadn't thought of that. That makes more sense.

And I do think 'distro' sounds better than 'distri'; it just gets on my nerves when people get so used to it that they actually think the full word is spelled 'distrobution'. :)

jfloydb
May 3rd, 2009, 07:03 PM
If people from Poland are called "Poles", shouldn't people from Holland be called "Holes"? (come on, it's just a joke)...

glotz
May 3rd, 2009, 07:46 PM
If people from Poland ...
You guys really crack me up! :lolflag:

upchucky
May 3rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
talk about bad language, I have been in North America for over 51 years and still can't speak the native language, and I am a North American Indian.

Erik Trybom
May 3rd, 2009, 08:45 PM
The strangest nickname is probably in Spanish. People called José are nicknamed "Pepe".

The reason is that the biblical Joseph (José) was the foster father (padre putativo) of Jesus. The letters P.P. was often written in paintings of Joseph, and when you read them out loud they sound like "Pepe".