PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] NTFS support for Xubuntu 9.04

Firidan
May 2nd, 2009, 08:21 PM
When I booted in Xubuntu live CD I noticed that it didn't mount my windows partition. How do I get Xubuntu to suport ntfs?:guitar:

taurus
May 2nd, 2009, 08:55 PM
Try mounting it by hand from a terminal.

sudo mkdir /media/windows
sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/windows
df -h
Assuming /dev/sda1 is where windows is.

Firidan
May 2nd, 2009, 10:03 PM
I have partitions C and D plus Xubuntu. Does counting start at sd0 or sd1?
How do I make xubuntu to always mount windows patitions?

taurus
May 2nd, 2009, 10:05 PM
Just look at the output of this command.

sudo fdisk -l
That would be a lower case letter L, not number 1.

Firidan
May 3rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks, it works

freakyfrog
June 11th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Try mounting it by hand from a terminal.

sudo mkdir /media/windows
sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/windows
df -hAssuming /dev/sda1 is where windows is.

Thanks taurus, this works. But I want to automatically mount the NTFS partition on startup. Can you tell me how? I was under the impression that the latest ubuntu releases automatically detect and mount NTFS partitions on startup.

freakyfrog
June 11th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Addition: I'm not using a live CD - I've installed xubuntu to my hard disk. I believe once you've installed, NTFS partitions should auto-mount?

PureLoneWolf
June 11th, 2009, 09:13 AM
They don't auto-mount - Normally you see the device listed in your file manager and clicking it for the first time will mount it and place a volume icon on the desktop. USB devices normally automount though.

For Ubuntu I used PYSDM (sudo apt-get install pysdm) to setup my fstab file (until I got used to it) - It is a GUI that shows your available disks and allows you to specify mount points, permissions etc..

Give it a try, it will get you up and running.

freakyfrog
June 11th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I got PYSDM (http://pysdm.sourceforge.net/) and it was a breeze. And when I restarted it did auto-mount, and that's what I wanted. Thanks, mate! :)

PureLoneWolf
June 11th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Glad it helped you out :)

Ron O
August 2nd, 2009, 07:40 AM
Another grateful user! I finally got a handle on mounting partitions without fooling around with files like fstab. Thanks!

bagy
October 4th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks taurus, this works. But I want to automatically mount the NTFS partition on startup. Can you tell me how? I was under the impression that the latest ubuntu releases automatically detect and mount NTFS partitions on startup.

Edit fstab file

sudo mousepad /etc/fstab

add line:
/dev/sda1 /media/name auto