PDA

View Full Version : Quake Live coming to Linux, Mac!

days_of_ruin
May 2nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22698

:guitar:

Gotta love id. They are the most linux friendly game company there is.

Spiritous
May 2nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
ZOMFG`!!11 1111!!!eleventyone1111!!!1!!!

WANT :D!!1

Vadi
May 2nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
Not really, but glad to hear they got a dedicated guy working on it.

Polygon
May 2nd, 2009, 06:05 PM
ok, seriously. is there no other linux programmer out there besides icculus?

This work is being done by a separate programmer in parallel with the other work that we're doing, and is his only priority - point being, that this is a top priority for us and not being delayed because of other work.

it seems that EVERY single commercial game is done by him. one man. Sure he may be good at what he does, but he is just one guy,....so these ports will always be far behind the windows ones because apparently no video game programmer can be bothered to learn how to program for linux

Bios Element
May 2nd, 2009, 06:05 PM
Not really, but glad to hear they got a dedicated guy working on it.

Not really? Then I guess you've never heard of Doom 3.

days_of_ruin
May 2nd, 2009, 06:07 PM
ok, seriously. is there no other linux programmer out there besides icculus?

it seems that EVERY single commercial game is done by him. one man. Sure he may be good at what he does, but he is just one guy,....so these ports will always be far behind the windows ones because apparently no video game programmer can be bothered to learn how to program for linux

When you only have 4 developers working on quake live one devoted to linux
is a lot. And why would it lag behind? Its already written in OpenGL so there can't be a whole lot to port.

Polygon
May 2nd, 2009, 06:13 PM
its not just quake live, its every commercial game ever ported to linux. Doom 3, quake 4, unreal tournament 2004, unreal 3, prey, ALL were ported by one man, while the main development teams most likely numbered 20 (or more)

and why would it lag behind? why has every other linux ported game lag behind? unreal 3 runs on open gl, we still haven't seen a port in over a year, america's army when it was still being ported was several months behind the official release, etc

days_of_ruin
May 2nd, 2009, 06:18 PM
its not just quake live, its every commercial game ever ported to linux. Doom 3, quake 4, unreal tournament 2004, unreal 3, prey, ALL were ported by one man, while the main development teams most likely numbered 20 (or more)

and why would it lag behind? why has every other linux ported game lag behind? unreal 3 runs on open gl, we still haven't seen a port in over a year, america's army when it was still being ported was several months behind the official release, etc

Well yes linux ports are usually behind. I thought you meant the game
quality/version lagged behind.

And you don't need to port art so that takes care of a lot of people right there.

LightB
May 2nd, 2009, 06:39 PM
They weren't that friendly, they just had little to lose with some old binaries since they already developed the games on opengl. I think the company that makes Unreal gives far more linux support. But anyways, direct3d is crappy and it saturated games with "choices". It's pretty vile that you can't buy any decent video card without wasting resources on "directx" support. That thing is part of what stunted the pc game market, design priority is just so far away focused for efficiency and performance.

Bölvağur
May 2nd, 2009, 07:26 PM
by pure chance I googled "quake live linux" and stumbled upon this thread (the one in the OP's link.. not this thread we are posting in) and I will say that I look forward to it. I was expecting it to be already finished but as they said.. they got into trouble fighting the code monster. Thankfully I can begin to play this game and be owned by some noobs :)

(if they will be able to get the red armor as I count down the 25 second respawn on it ;))

Vadi
May 2nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
Not really? Then I guess you've never heard of Doom 3.

Yeah I did hear about it. You mean it shipped on the same media as the Windows version and is officially supported by them?

I got etqw, had to buy the windows cd, and hunt all over the Internet for the linux version. No replies from support either. That's not "best", because there is better.

Paqman
May 2nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
apparently no video game programmer can be bothered to learn how to program for linux

Why should they? Who's going to pay them to use the skills?

CharmyBee
May 2nd, 2009, 08:53 PM
I doubt Icculus is doing the port. He usually only helps the games stuck on DirectX APIs. Icculus didn't do id's earlier titles either I don't think (Zoid handled them)

SomeGuyDude
May 2nd, 2009, 09:16 PM
Why should they? Who's going to pay them to use the skills?

I'm pretty sure a whole bunch of people would buy games ported to Linux. I sure would.

Mehall
May 2nd, 2009, 09:22 PM
unfortunately, a lot fewer than those who would buy on Windows.

I'm just glad at least some companies are putting effort into Linux.

Paqman
May 2nd, 2009, 09:32 PM
I'm pretty sure a whole bunch of people would buy games ported to Linux. I sure would.

If there was any real money to be made from games on Linux, we'd have them already. Maybe things will change in a few years if we keep growing.

gnomeuser
May 2nd, 2009, 09:59 PM
Quake Live seems like an awesome idea. It caters to the seasoned gamer who cares about ranking and leagues while also fighting the problem most FPS online games face, namely experienced users whooping new comers repeatedly because there is little proper identification, thus scaring off potential new players.

As it's tied to your game style and performance the matching should be spot on and always make sure you face a fun yet challenging session.

I know I while spending many hours playing ET e.g. never advanced as quickly because I simply had to devote time to other things than playing and I played for enjoyment. Thus after a while ET became boring as the new players disappear and only the experienced onces were around, meaning I regular raping for me. It sorta lost the whole team aspect and became boring.

I can't wait to try this, additionally the aspect of linking the game heavily with the web, especially now that both Google and Mozilla are working on accelerated 3D in the web browser we might see more and more games like this. Making for a whole new social experience and an easier gaming experience, no installing, just walk up to any machine and play with your existing account. Very console like really.

I am already imagining myself having boatloads of good clean family entertainment you can trust blasting people in my web browser.

Polygon
May 3rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
If there was any real money to be made from games on Linux, we'd have them already. Maybe things will change in a few years if we keep growing.

its a catch 22. People don't use linux because games dont run on it, and game developers don't port games to linux because there is a small marketshare.

And apparently there IS a market for it, as icculus seems to be always busy porting some game. Prey, doom, unreal, americas army (possibly), source engine is rumored to be working on a linux port, world of warcraft apparently has a unreleased linux port, i'm sure there is quite a few job opportunities.