PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Automatic window resize app?

pall.e
May 2nd, 2009, 10:56 AM
Hey all,
On windows I use this great little program called Asus multiframe that shows up next to the minimize button and lets me automatically resize and place windows on my screen. So if I want my current window to take up the top left corner of my screen I can do that in one click. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to do this in Linux? This program saves me loads of time as I often have 4 documents up that I am reading at once and alt-tab doesn't really work as I need access to all 4 document. I realize that I can do this manually, but wondering if anyone knows an automatic way to do it. (I am somewhat of a noob, but I would be willing to try to write a script/app if someone wants to help me)

pall.e
June 4th, 2009, 02:48 AM
So I found something. On Compiz manager the grid plug-in does it with keyboard shortcuts.

Nythain
June 4th, 2009, 02:56 AM
have you considered a tiling window manager too... most dont just tile, they also have a "float" option for regular window stacking so dont let the name fool ya. But they are great, once most people get the hang of one, they cant ever go back to a stacking/overlapping window environment

pall.e
June 4th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks Nythain, a tilling window manager is exactly what I needed and had no idea what it was called. Grid is working great for me so far though. Thanks for you help.

binbash
June 4th, 2009, 09:53 PM
CompizConfig Settings Manager > Shelf Plugin