PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to Undo CD assisted Boot

Stheman
May 2nd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Hello,

while I was trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop through the CD, I chose the option to install the CD Boot so that I can choose to either boot the CD or Windows. Now that I have successfully installed Ubuntu and the GRUB loader is working, I would like to undo this so that when I choose Windows from GRUB it just loads windows. Thanks, please advise.

saidinesh5
May 2nd, 2009, 10:06 AM
did you mean to
1) set windows as the default boot option in the grub menu / hide the grub at all?
or
2)uninstall ubuntu so that there when you turn on your pc, it directly boot into windows?

stretch427
May 2nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
Edit your grub boot loader to specify Windows as the default.

sudo nano -w /boot/grub/menu.lstand lets say that windows is your 4th boot option

Change the default from 0 to 4

default 4exit and save and that should do the trick.

Cheers!

Stheman
May 3rd, 2009, 01:22 AM
Ummm actually it isn't that, the Grub loader does what I want it to. It lists Ubuntu and Windows XP OS, and I can choose from either of them, but when I choose Windows XP, it takes me to a second boot menu that is due to intalling the assisted boot option from the CD, which is not the GRUB loader, but more like if I held the F8 key for windows Safe mode. In this menu I can choose to boot either Windows or Ubuntu, but choosing Ubuntu here, it will try looking for the CD. It is the later boot menu that I would like to get rid of.

stretch427
May 5th, 2009, 08:54 PM
http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/151517-disable-boot-manager-popping-up.html

This is a link to fixing the problem. And I would use EasyBCD to try and reinstall the bootloader and then just set it to the standard default 0. But that seems like a Windows Problem not really a Ubuntu problem.

Best of luck!

Edit: that is if you want to keep GRUB as default bootloader, which I highly recommend. Just easier to configure according to your preferences.