PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remote Desktop Problem

Face_Man
May 2nd, 2009, 09:14 AM
Hello All,

I'm new to Linux OS's and this is my first week. i install ubuntu 9.04 server and install ubuntu-desktop. So far so good, I was able to remote desktop the box from Windows OS using VNC. However, each time i reboot the box i have to go to box and login and after that i can remote desktop the box. is there anyway i could remote desktop the but without having to login manually.

Any help would be much appreciated.

praveenmarkandu
May 2nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Hello All,

I'm new to Linux OS's and this is my first week. i install ubuntu 9.04 server and install ubuntu-desktop. So far so good, I was able to remote desktop the box from Windows OS using VNC. However, each time i reboot the box i have to go to box and login and after that i can remote desktop the box. is there anyway i could remote desktop the but without having to login manually.

Any help would be much appreciated.

you can try this
http://jakeyoon.com/2008/11/19/enable-vino-vnc-server-for-login-manager-gdm-in-ubuntu/

Face_Man
May 2nd, 2009, 07:27 PM
well, since i did what is in article i cannot remote desktop the box at all.

cariboo
May 2nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
If your server isn't outward facing, why not just set autologin? Go to System-->Administration-->Login Window-->Security-->Enable Automatic Login.

Face_Man
May 3rd, 2009, 04:00 AM
I was able some how to connect to the login screen x11vnc. However, after i enter my username and password i get this error

caught XIO error:
02/05/2009 19:37:49 deleted 36 tile_row polling images.

any idea

HermanAB
May 3rd, 2009, 04:30 AM
Howdy,

VNC is not a good choice for managing a server. You should install ssh-server from synaptic, then connect to it from Windows using Xming (run it first!) and PuTTY.

SSH can do everything VNC does and much more and it is secure too. It is the 'standard' tool for managing Unix machines remotely. Once you start using it, you'll quickly learn why.

Face_Man
May 3rd, 2009, 04:35 AM
Howdy,

VNC is not a good choice for managing a server. You should install ssh-server from synaptic, then connect to it from Windows using Xming (run it first!) and PuTTY.

SSH can do everything VNC does and much more and it is secure too. It is the 'standard' tool for managing Unix machines remotely. Once you start using it, you'll quickly learn why.
well, i am using PuTTY to connect to the server first and after that i try to use VNC
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC

krunge
May 3rd, 2009, 05:00 AM
I was able some how to connect to the login screen x11vnc. However, after i enter my username and password i get this error

caught XIO error:
02/05/2009 19:37:49 deleted 36 tile_row polling images.

Your login greeter program, GDM, by default kills all X clients just after the user logs in (x11vnc is an X client) and then starts the user's session.

Simply repeat the steps and the 2nd time you'll have your session.

To disable this annoying aspect of GDM set the KillInitClients=false option as described here:

http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/faq.html#faq-display-manager

Face_Man
May 3rd, 2009, 05:15 AM
i am not sure where was the problem however now every thing is working grate!

well, thanks all for the help.