PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual booting install xp or intrepid 1st

Cyborgoat
May 2nd, 2009, 06:20 AM
I just built a new sys asus m3n78-em quad core cpu with 1 tb primary drive what would be the best. I want to dual boot until I get everything changed over and programs found eventually Ubuntu full hopefully. I am new to Linux so any and all help would be appreciative.

Thanks

Cybie257
May 2nd, 2009, 06:23 AM
Install XP first.

Grub will install when you install Ubuntu second, giving you both OS options. If you install XP second, it will not give you a menu option for booting Linux.

EDIT: Since you are a noobie to Linux, Grub is a boot loaded that will produce a menu for mutliple operating systems on a single computer. No need to worry about it too much as it's pretty much automatic unless you need special options. Also, it might be easier to be sure and select the max size for your Windows partition when installing Windows. That way, when you install linux, you will have free space to install in and not have to deal with shrinking the volume. It'll make the Linux install much easier as all you will need to do is select (Use free space) for the Linux install. I would suggest that you do your basic install of Windows, then install Ubuntu. Don't try to set your Windows up all customized, then Ubuntu. This will save you a lot of time should you accidentally obliterate your Windows Installation. :)

-Cybie

Cyborgoat
May 2nd, 2009, 06:30 AM
good point and thanks

Cyborgoat
May 2nd, 2009, 06:36 AM
Idon't have to worry about partitions, do I?