PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Server and Desktop Edition, same filesystem different kernel?

Johnneylee
May 2nd, 2009, 06:16 AM
Hello, my name is Johnneylee I've been using Ubuntu for a good 2 years now. ( <-- that sounded like a support group intro)

I have a question for you all. I've been working in Ubuntu for a good time and I was wondering if it was possible to install Ubuntu Desktop and server together.

The Clincher? I was wondering if you could configure it to use the same ubuntu install. Maybe it's a simple question of Grub Bootloader with some commands to not launch an Xserver session?

I'd like input. The idea is to be able to choose at start up whether I'm going to use the server or the desktop. The use is so I can administer it with a gui if I'm sitting down or wanting to work for a while then vnc into the current session. Alternatively I could choose Server in which I will have a few start up scripts for only the server. I'd like them to run from the same install.

I'm setting up a FTP server and Http among others, I have their directories on seperate drives.

Any help?

Johnneylee
May 2nd, 2009, 06:19 AM
Sorry I just noticed I forgot something.
Another reason I'd like it to be on the same install is
if I add something new in terms of software or whatever I'd want it to reflect on the server.

If its possible this will be great, maybe I have to suck it up and use rsync?