PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unable to select text in firefox

windows-killer
May 2nd, 2009, 05:36 AM
This happens every time I install a fresh copy of ubuntu here it goes:

installed ubuntu. works fine
opened firefox and it works fine, I can select text normaly
after couple of days I noticed that am unable to select any text in firefox, why is that?

edit: I went through the options but am still not able to solve the problem.

Cybie257
May 2nd, 2009, 05:46 AM
With the many years I have used Firefox, I have never encountered that. The only thing I can suggest for the time being would be to try to latest Beta release of Firefox (V3.5).

Here's the easiest way:

http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/03/install-firefox-31-beta-3pre-in-ubuntu.html

This will install a 'separate' instance called Shiretoko Web Browser within the Internet Menu. So far, I'm impressed with it. Faster with some new options. :)

-Cybie

windows-killer
May 2nd, 2009, 05:51 AM
With the many years I have used Firefox, I have never encountered that. The only thing I can suggest for the time being would be to try to latest Beta release of Firefox (V3.5).

Here's the easiest way:

http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/03/install-firefox-31-beta-3pre-in-ubuntu.html

This will install a 'separate' instance called Shiretoko Web Browser within the Internet Menu. So far, I'm impressed with it. Faster with some new options. :)

-Cybie

thanks but, I would prefer to use the current stable version.

any other solutions?::)

Cybie257
May 2nd, 2009, 03:59 PM
Well, let's begin with anything you've installed since it worked.

Have you installed any software? ave you installed any Firefox plug-ins that might be casing this?

Also, what happens if you open up a text editor and try to select text? Is it confined to ust firefox or is it system-wide?

-Cybie

windows-killer
May 2nd, 2009, 10:36 PM
Well, let's begin with anything you've installed since it worked.

Have you installed any software? ave you installed any Firefox plug-ins that might be casing this?

Also, what happens if you open up a text editor and try to select text? Is it confined to ust firefox or is it system-wide?

-Cybie

the only plugin I have in firefox is adblock plus.
and yes this happens on text editor too, but not in open office though.
I also noticed when I open nautilus to save or load a file that is located inside a folder. I cant double click on it, but I can open it by pressing enter on my keyboard.

what else can I do?