PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 install where IDE controller has no DMA

wb0gaz
May 2nd, 2009, 05:32 AM
I'm trying to install Server 8.04 onto a machine whose IDE controller does not support DMA (it's using a compact flash memory as the mass storage device, and the compact flash memory has no DMA support).

This worked in Server 7.10 (that is, I could install and run ubuntu 7.10 on the same exact machine without difficulty), but booting the 8.04 server CDROM results in almost endless delays (not usable.) I tried "install ide=nodma" but that didn't help (in 7.10, the kernel parameter ide=nodma sped up the boot process.)

Help please,

Thanks,

rlsimpso
May 15th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Is this straight CF, or are you using a IDE to CF adapter?

My CD drive worked fine for installing, but they it would not boot from the CF card.

I had a problem with a Syba IDE to CF adapter that sounds similar to what you describe. Basically the problem is the the card supports DMA and the CF adapter reports DMA support, but doesn't actually support it.

Adding ide=nodma did not fix it for me either.

I fixed the problem by configuring the drive manually in the BIOS and disabling DMA. It works fine now.

I hope that helps.

BTW, a friend has an Addonics CF adapter and it works fine with not special configuration.