PDA

View Full Version : Arch Linux LiveCD, does such a thing exist?

garythegoth
May 2nd, 2009, 03:54 AM
With a GUI? Preferably Fluxbox or something lite, but Ill take what I can get for now.

Greg
May 2nd, 2009, 03:59 AM
Yes, it's called Chakra and based off of KDEmod.

EDIT: Also arch-live.co.nr with LXDE.

Icehuck
May 2nd, 2009, 04:01 AM
Arch Linux LiveCD doesn't have a gui, but I believe the Chakra project has a live CD with GUI. Chakra is only in the Alpha stages ymmv.

garythegoth
May 2nd, 2009, 04:07 AM

Cheers. Ill try them both.

Skripka
May 2nd, 2009, 04:21 AM
Cheers. Ill try them both.

I recommend in the STRONGEST POSSIBLE terms, against doing a Chakra install until you've done at least 1 successful Arch+KDEmod install. Note the use of bold, italic, AND underline markups. Also note the lovely color I have chosen.

The Arch install is a tutorial into how to setup and maintain an Arch installation in the even of problems down the road. It teaches you MOST of the vital need-to-knows. You don't do a baseline Arch install-and you are SOL when problems happen. If you can cook Mac and Cheese and end up with something that is eatable, you can do an Arch install-it really is not that hard or complicated.

Skipping the Arch install via Chakra shortchanges YOURSELF. If you are NOT comfortable installing/running/maintaining Arch you have NO business running Chakra.

sertse
May 2nd, 2009, 04:32 AM
Has Chakra ever made a statement responding to that question? It is always the number one issue (and when I agree with) whenever it's raised.

snowpine
May 2nd, 2009, 04:57 AM
Why?

garythegoth
May 2nd, 2009, 05:16 AM
I recommend in the STRONGEST POSSIBLE terms, against doing a Chakra install until you've done at least 1 successful Arch+KDEmod install. Note the use of bold, italic, AND underline markups. Also note the lovely color I have chosen.

The Arch install is a tutorial into how to setup and maintain an Arch installation in the even of problems down the road. It teaches you MOST of the vital need-to-knows. You don't do a baseline Arch install-and you are SOL when problems happen. If you can cook Mac and Cheese and end up with something that is eatable, you can do an Arch install-it really is not that hard or complicated.

Skipping the Arch install via Chakra shortchanges YOURSELF. If you are NOT comfortable installing/running/maintaining Arch you have NO business running Chakra.

Relax. Why do you think I asked for LiveCD media?

Skripka
May 2nd, 2009, 05:24 AM
Relax. Why do you think I asked for LiveCD media?

Given nothing else to go on, I assume that a poster asking for an Arch LiveCD (with DE) is skeered of the Arch install and the command-line. Yes this is a very rash set of assumptions on my part...but more often than not they are squarely on the mark. If they do not apply I apologize for being rude and blatant, but you gave me nothing else to go on.

garythegoth
May 2nd, 2009, 05:46 AM
Given nothing else to go on, I assume that a poster asking for an Arch LiveCD (with DE) is skeered of the Arch install and the command-line. Yes this is a very rash set of assumptions on my part...but more often than not they are squarely on the mark. If they do not apply I apologize for being rude and blatant, but you gave me nothing else to go on.

Accepted, but certainly not needed.

Ron G
July 24th, 2009, 09:07 PM

I personally would run as fast as I could from any distro featuring KDE. It's so bloated with junk, it makes any distro slower than ANY need be. JMHO