PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox 3.0.10 Blank Screen after upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04

nm4m
May 2nd, 2009, 03:27 AM
Performed the upgrade tonight. Everything else seems to have gone fine so far. I am posting this via Opera that was installed before the upgrade.

When I open Firefox, I just get a blank screen. I have rebooted, did a sudo chown -R user:user in the .mozilla directory, I removed my .mozilla directory, used synaptic to uninstall and install firefox, removed flashplugin. No change.

I start firefox in a terminal, no errors

I start firefox -safe-mode, it starts in safe mode, but screen is still blank. Cannot make any changes.

I saw bug reports, but no fix that has worked for me. Can't find the bug report now. Just like I found a thread about this on these forums, and can no longer find that. Out of ideas, so I'm posting.

Dave
NM4M

nm4m
May 5th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Have notes on a couple of other threads, but no luck so far. Found this bug, but do not yet see any solutions that work for me.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xulrunner-1.9/+bug/360923

Dave
NM4m

netwarriorwy
May 5th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Performed the upgrade tonight. Everything else seems to have gone fine so far

I prefer to backup everything and perform a fresh install. Btw after I did a fresh install of Jaunty I updated and now I'm using firefox 3.0.10 with no problems.

nm4m
May 5th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I agree, there is value to that. I keep /home on a seperate drive, and then just mount it. The last fresh install I did with Ubuntu, made the partitioning activity more complicated than I liked because of this. That is looking like my only other option though. But with my luck, I will go through that and still have the same problems. Hopefully not. Not looking forward to getting all the extra stuff working again, that I usually get going.

Dave
NM4M