PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on Nautilus' built-in CD burner

picpak
May 2nd, 2009, 02:59 AM
In the latest version of Ubuntu, nautilus-cd-burner is removed in favour of Brasero. That's fine; that's not my problem. My problem lies with the fact that, if I want to install it, I have to uninstall both brasero and sound-juicer.

I thought maybe I had some unofficial repos enabled and they were conflicting the packages, but I checked and all three programs are from the official repositories as is. Removing it by default is one thing, but why do I have to choose between one or the other? nautilus-cd-burner is a easy, hassle-free way to burn quick, small files. For heavier projects, I like to use Brasero. Can't I have both?

My next question is this: why does sound-juicer have to get removed too? Nautilus has no ripping capabilities that I know of. So in order to install it, I have to lose both a CD burner and ripper? Doesn't that defeat the idea of having a choice? In 8.10, all three were able to coexist peacefully, and I don't see why in 9.04 that can't be the same case.

Just a little rant...

picpak
May 24th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Actually, I just checked and it's under Applications > Accessories > CD/DVD Creator.

I definitely don't remember seeing it there before...

steeleyuk
May 24th, 2009, 05:51 PM
The Brasero/Nautilus burning plugin pretty much replicates the functionality of NCB, the only difference is that Brasero will be maintaining the plugin rather that having a separate project which receives less attention.