PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please Help...Thank you !!!

stormypenny
May 2nd, 2009, 02:29 AM
I have an older Dell using Windows XP. I just installed Ubuntu 8.10. I log in using my User Name and Passord. Then the screen goes black. The round ball stop rotating. What is wrong and how do I fix it. I am a newbie...

Thanks in advance.

SP

abn91c
May 2nd, 2009, 02:39 AM
what model? if it has an intel 845 video card do this press ctr+alt+f1, then at the command prompt run this commands
sudo apt-get remove compiz
sudo apt-get remove compiz-core then startx

stormypenny
May 2nd, 2009, 02:54 AM
How do I get to the command prompt?

Thanks,
Sp

abn91c
May 2nd, 2009, 03:05 AM
How do I get to the command prompt?

Thanks,
Sp
press ctr alt and f1 keys at same time
after you enter the commands it will ask for your password enter it then run them one at a time, select yes when asked "do you want to continue" or similar prompt

stormypenny
May 2nd, 2009, 03:17 AM
Sorry, I am a newbie. At what point do I hit those keys? What stage of the start up? Because I partioned the hard drive, I get a choice of windows or Ubuntu. I pick Ubuntu and hit enter. Then???

Thanks so much.
SP

abn91c
May 2nd, 2009, 03:21 AM
Sorry, I am a newbie. At what point do I hit those keys? What stage of the start up? Because I partioned the hard drive, I get a choice of windows or Ubuntu. I pick Ubuntu and hit enter. Then???

Thanks so much.
SP
yes Ubuntu when you get to the blank screen you should be able to do it

sailthesea
May 2nd, 2009, 03:23 AM
When you are booted into Ubuntu as far as it goes anyway, then do the above You should get somewhere Looks like your upgrade didn't quite complete