PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] gnome freezes randomly

melefire
May 2nd, 2009, 01:41 AM
Recently I have started to have issues with Ubuntu 9.04. It seems to just randomly freeze during use. I GNOME and have a nvidia graphics chipset. I cannot however seem to pin the problem. The freezes occur at completely random times and I have to forcefully restart my computer. Any ideas for a fix?

Peasantoid
May 2nd, 2009, 01:42 AM
Do you have Compiz enabled?

melefire
May 2nd, 2009, 01:43 AM
not that im aware of

Peasantoid
May 2nd, 2009, 01:46 AM
Okay, do this. Go to System > Preferences > Appearance, click the Visual Effects tab, and tell me what it's set to.

melefire
May 2nd, 2009, 01:48 AM
its set to "Normal"

Peasantoid
May 2nd, 2009, 01:49 AM
...you have Compiz enabled.

Set it to None and tell me if that helps.

melefire
May 2nd, 2009, 08:56 PM
I have now concluded that it is not compiz or gnome, or even xorg. This is because i just experanced a freeup right when ubuntu was booting. Right when the little things moves accross the loading bar at bootup. Any other ideas?

thanks for your help sofar

Peasantoid
May 2nd, 2009, 08:59 PM
Sorry, I've never encountered that before... Try booting in recovery mode?

keithld
May 2nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
Have you checked you PC Fans to see if they are still running???... How old is your computer???

If the fan on your CPU stops intermittently it can lock up the system because it's overheating...

melefire
May 2nd, 2009, 10:15 PM
thats what i thought at first so i installed temp monitors and the temp never rises above 106F so i dont think its overheating.

juliosergio
August 10th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I have what seems to me the very same problem. Apparently this has to do with the Java virtual machine or the Java run time environment, because the situation arises when some application launches Java. In my case, I discovered it when starting Mozilla Firefox. Firefox froze and sometimes all the desktop froze as well, then I killed it and then a small display announcing that "Java VM is loading" lasted for ages until I also killed it. Now, the situation also arose when I started Netbeans, (an IDE for Java and other languages) which again launches Java VM. I don't know how to solve the problem yet. Maybe installing a new version of Java will solve the problem.

ArmenianLeader4
August 10th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Turn off compiz, your effects, any excess apps, desklets or anything like that, and you should be fine.