PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] error fetching mail

mystmaiden
May 2nd, 2009, 12:34 AM
I just got finished speaking with the folks at my internet provider - grrrr. They gave me to know in no uncertain terms that they provide support for windows users, and pretty much only windows users. I set up Evolution myself, so needless to say, I may have done something wrong.

When I hit send and receive I got this error:

Unable to connect to Pop.suddenlink.net
No support for requested authenication mechanism

I don't really understand the whole key ring thing so I may have made a mistake there somehow.

So does this mean I can't use evolution at all or does anyone know of a fix for this?

any help would be appreciated

Titan8990
May 2nd, 2009, 12:37 AM
You chose the wrong authentication type. There should be button to probe the server for the type of authentication it accepts but it doesn't always work.

mystmaiden
May 2nd, 2009, 01:08 AM
Thanks! Now how do I get back to the set up screen to fix that? Would it be easier to uninstall evolution and reinstall it?

edited to add: I found where to change the settings, but now it asks for smtp password, and I'm not at all sure which password they are looking for... Is this the one I have set up with suddenlink for that email? If so it is refusing it.

Ericyzfr1
May 2nd, 2009, 02:04 AM
You may also want to double check that you format exactly as the server info shows, in your post you wrote "Pop" I don't believe there should be a cap.

Ericyzfr1
May 2nd, 2009, 02:11 AM
Thanks! Now how do I get back to the set up screen to fix that? Would it be easier to uninstall evolution and reinstall it?

edited to add: I found where to change the settings, but now it asks for smtp password, and I'm not at all sure which password they are looking for... Is this the one I have set up with suddenlink for that email? If so it is refusing it.

It is your password, the same you would use in webmail.

This article describes steps how to add an email account to Outlook XP.
Note: Before adding or modifying an email account, you will need to know the following information:

Your Suddenlink e-mail address and password

Incoming and Outgoing mail servers for your area
o Incoming Mail Server = pop.suddenlink.net
o Outgoing Mail Server = smtp.suddenlink.net

I got these information from the suddenlink website, it is not more complicated than Outlook.

mystmaiden
May 2nd, 2009, 03:05 AM
There was a bit about the keyring set up involved in this as well as the information Ericyzfr1 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=579644) listed, that may be where I fell short. Whatever the cause, it is refusing my email password.

Pete Abel
May 5th, 2009, 03:54 PM
There was a bit about the keyring set up involved in this as well as the information Ericyzfr1 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=579644) listed, that may be where I fell short. Whatever the cause, it is refusing my email password.

I'm told that with the POP3 email program, you have to use your email address INSTEAD of your UserID when you set up the program. Perhaps that will help?