PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation

halokilla2008
May 2nd, 2009, 12:05 AM
When I try to install linux on my pc it boots fine then it comes to the menu that ask to install, try, etc. i select install then it starts and after a min or two it stops and says:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Preparing restricted drivers... [ok]
*starting kernel event manager...[ok]
*loading hardware drivers...[ok]
init: rc-default main process (3035) terminated with status 127
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And thats it I leave it alone and nothing happens so i shut down and try again and same things. Please help ive been trying to install linux for 3 days and every day ive ran into some kind of problem from not booting from the disk to having to put in a new hdd. and today is the first day ive actually booted and tried to install and well I cant.

Im currently running on a 2.96ghz pentium 4 ,2gb ram, One 160gb hdd, an integrated vid card. And im trying to install 9.04 i believe.

I have 2 hdd on my pc a sata 80gb one for xp and a 160gb i want to use as my linux hdd. I removed the 80gb sata drive and finally let me boot from it then all these installation problems began.

wpshooter
May 2nd, 2009, 12:29 AM
The FIRST thing you should do when booting to the Ubuntu CD is to run the integrity check function that is found on the initial Ubuntu boot screen menu. Did you do that ?

halokilla2008
May 2nd, 2009, 12:32 AM
no I assumed the making of the cd went according to plan. should I try that? one more thing. should i format my 160gb hdd b4 i try to install? im using my 80gb as my xp OS.

wpshooter
May 2nd, 2009, 12:39 AM
Personally, I have NO desire to have more than ONE brand of O/S on a computer at one time.

This is basically how I install Ubuntu on my systems.

Download and burn the Ubuntu CD.

Get www.killdisk.com to WIPE the drive on the computer on which I am going to be installing Ubuntu completely clean.

Have CD device as first boot device, boot to Ubuntu CD, check it's integrity. If it is O.K. then I install the Ubuntu O/S to a completely clean hard drive.

I highly prefer and recommend using the ALTERNATE (text based) CD version of Ubuntu to do the installation instead of the Live CD version of Ubuntu.

P.S. - on Killdisk get the DOS CD version.

halokilla2008
May 2nd, 2009, 01:12 AM
nope didnt work. I checked the integrity and all came out fine but still i got errors. Arent OS installs suppose to be fresh installs completely wipe everything? So why does it matter if it cant read the cache?