PDA

View Full Version : Did Jaunty Jackapole come up to your expectations?

bhishan
May 2nd, 2009, 12:00 AM
Were you expecting a better Jaunty Jackalope or did it fulfill your expectations. Share your experiences.

Torgas Prim
May 2nd, 2009, 12:02 AM
Can't get past the black screen of death after video driver installs.
Back to very stable 8.04

Zoowey
May 2nd, 2009, 12:14 AM
I've been using Ubuntu for a total of about 5 months, 8.10 was my first Ubuntu release to use and I absolutely loved it, I had no problems what so ever. Then when 9.04 was released I was reluctant to upgrade just because 8.10 worked so well but I took a deep breath and clicked the "upgrade distribution" button and long and behold, it went perfectly.

I had absolutely no problems except for flash player not working but I just reinstalled it and it works great now. Other then flash all my programs worked great, all my customizations to Ubuntu, and there's many, were still in place and working.

Booting up Ubuntu now does in fact seem faster, and I'm still using ext3, overall the whole system to me feels more snappier. My ATI graphics driver just worked with no problem and I really can only say it all just worked great.

I am very happy with 9.04 and thank the Ubuntu Linux team for making such a nice Linux distribution.

damis648
May 2nd, 2009, 12:15 AM
Works better than ever on all my computers, kudos to the Ubuntu dev team! :popcorn:

PS. Did you mean to misspell Jackalope?

Mr. Picklesworth
May 2nd, 2009, 12:30 AM
I have a love / hate relationship with Jaunty. I see it as an incremental, development release. Loving the stability and performance. I was running off a USB drive and noticed memory consumption around 250 MBs, which made me smile very widely. It's not far from that in an actual session with all my personal junk installed.

The kernel seems to be doing better. I/O with external devices is working properly for me now, giving around 15 MB/s regularly where before it hung around 6 or so for no good reason.

I'm still in love with GTK's modest little changes. That caps lock warning in password fields is great. GVFS seems to be more widely used now, and feels like an established part of the system.

The latest PulseAudio / ALSA / whatever else stuff in here seems to be uncovering a plethora of issues. I'm not blaming PulseAudio, or ALSA, or anyone in particular; I am clueless with regards to audio stuff and prefer not to spread disinformation. However, during the prerelease I was one of the unlucky few to have crackly audio. With the final, crackling seems to be reduced but there is a really nasty bit of lag going on with video playback. A while ago mplayer made the ridiculous claim that my computer was too slow to play back a <720p video.

Video performance is better, like all performance short of actually decoding videos.

Removing Shutdown from the System menu when the user switcher is present makes me and accessibility people cry. It's dumb, pointless, confusing, and creates inconsistency. (Press the Power button on your computer to get gnome-session's shutdown dialog. Different from FUSA's. FUSA even has different strings, wasting valuable translation and documentation resources).
On the bright side, gnome-shell may have this approach down the line, since the System menu will likely not be the same, so we could consider this a transitional step.

I like the notification system. I agree it's not finished yet. Lots of apps still abuse it, but I generally agree with the folks at Canonical that dialogs are fine as long as they are done tastefully. Notifications as in notify-osd should be different from dialogs to avoid being redundant, because redundancy creates horrible confusion. With the next release notify-osd will be more widely respected by applications in Ubuntu, and more importantly it will be used where applications never could use notifications before (nodding my head towards keyboard layout change notifications (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=567880) here). That's where people will really get to see that simplicity, while definitely a bit scary when implemented to replace chaos, can do amazing things.

I learned with this release that the documentation team needs contributors, since some documentation (especially screenshots) is woefully out of date.

The points I don't like are minor quibbles, really. With each release I see fewer and fewer machines that don't "just work" with Ubuntu. Hardware compatibility has nearly become a non-issue. It is still a fixer-upper, but as long as other people are happy I can change what I don't like, contribute where I see issues to get things cooperating with notify-osd, and be pretty content. Probably the most content I've ever been with Ubuntu, actually. I was contemplating switching to Fedora when Jaunty came out, but I think I'll stay here :)

xArv3nx
May 2nd, 2009, 12:37 AM
wtf jackapole lmfao.

winjeel
May 2nd, 2009, 12:40 AM
For "six months effort", to produce a professional level OS, I wouldn't be using terms like "jackapole", that would be an awesome effort, regardless of quality. But then, I think your question is asking for a comparison between previous releases. I'm comparing the sum total as represented in 9.04 to Windows XP and previous Windows releases.

I've been eyeing linux from the days when I heard that it mostly didn't have graphical user interface (ten years ago), so when I decided to try it two weeks ago I was impressed. It is faster than XP, more user friendly than XP, it appears simple, but subtly sophisticated (there's a lot behind the scenes that is working that make it appear easy to use). For me, 9.04 is a winner. It knocks the socks off of Windows, but I'm still dependent on Windows for iTunes, web design software, and photography software, too. But that's not Ubuntu's concern. These three things, though, prevent me from jumping ship and totally relying on Ubuntu. But otherwise, 9.04 is a triumph compared to XP, and it's awesome to see that Linux has matured well. If anything, "well done" to the design team, and thanks for a great package.

samjh
May 2nd, 2009, 01:01 AM
It's the best release yet. :D