PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Latest updates = bricked computer

NinjaBunny
May 1st, 2009, 11:52 PM
I just ran updates for my new install of 9.04. I restarted and get a black screen. Disk doesn't spin. It's apparently on but otherwise dead as can be.

I haven't tried a super boot disk or anything yet. Needless to say, this makes me a bit wary about the latest updates. :confused:

kerry_s
May 2nd, 2009, 12:05 AM
you should always wait awhile to do new updates. ubuntu is built from unstable debian, so thus things can be well "unstable". let others take the plunge first and just watch the forums. i always recommend turning off that auto update thing to the friends i have that use ubuntu, we just get into the habit of checking like once a month or when we feel like it. usually long after things have calm down or been fixed.

NinjaBunny
May 2nd, 2009, 03:37 AM
Well, I started thinking the disc had crashed so I pulled it out and checked it with another computer and it was fine. It's a Lenovo laptop so I pulled the battery out to (hopefully) reset it. It worked.

The whole incident may very well have had nothing to do with Ubuntu. :oops:):P This has never happened with this laptop, though, and it's a pretty infrequent occurrence in general so I'm still a bit suspicious of the update.