PDA

View Full Version : How Many will actually *LOOK* at Windows(bleH) Vista when it comes out?

Jaygo333
January 9th, 2006, 02:46 AM
How many people will actually *look* or move to Windows(bleH) Vista
when it comes out?
How many will actually switch to it, and if you are, for how long.

:rolleyes:h34r: Jaygo333 :rolleyes:h34r:

Post Vista vs. Ubuntu Comments Here.

JimmyJazz
January 9th, 2006, 02:51 AM
the logic of paying for an OS makes no sense to me anymore so no, I won't go near it.
Vista is just one more layer of bloat as far as I can tell so far and, my laptop is on a diet.

stuporglue
January 9th, 2006, 02:53 AM
At some point, anyone who develops programs that also run on Windows is going to need to test their program on Vista. Also, I don't know how many people who get a new computer can resist at least looking at what came pre-installed. When it starts shipping pre-installed, I think the Vista numbers will climb rather rapidly.

super
January 9th, 2006, 02:59 AM
probably dual boot like i do now.

erikpiper
January 9th, 2006, 03:03 AM
Triple or quad boot. Nix, Linux, XP, Vista

(Big HD's :) )

Iandefor
January 9th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Linux makes me happy. Someday, when I get a worthy graphics card, I might install Windows onto a separate hard disk and boot from it (so I can play games like Halo and Doom without Cedega, etc). But I really don't want to support Microsoft anymore.

prizrak
January 9th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Iandefor, DOOM 3 is natively supported by Linux.
I can get Vista for free (My father has full MSDN subscription through his job) but none of my machines can handle it (even tho they aren't slow) so I don't think I will look at it. Prolly gonna use it at some point this being the MS world.

23meg
January 9th, 2006, 04:00 AM
I'll test it on someone else's machine, not mine. I won't ever use it for my purposes, not even on public machines in school, internet cafes etc.

poofyhairguy
January 9th, 2006, 04:11 AM
I voted 2-4 months then back. I plan to buy it just to study its eye candy- Aero sounds really neat. Plus I hate that my Windows knowledge is becoming rusty.

I don't want to be the only person on my block to not see Vista a half year after its release. I mean....my ego IS tied to my nerdiness.

But I will come back. No matter how good Vista is, Windows is a house built on sand.

aysiu
January 9th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Well, my workplace just upgraded from Windows 2000 to Windows XP this year, so whenever my workplace upgrades to Vista, that's probably when I'll use it.

My home computer will always be some flavor of Linux--Ubuntu or otherwise.

mstlyevil
January 9th, 2006, 04:27 AM
the logic of paying for an OS makes no sense to me anymore so no, I won't go near it.
Vista is just one more layer of bloat as far as I can tell so far and, my laptop is on a diet.

Any distro that uses KDE can be said to more full of bloat than Vista. I just thought I would mention that.

I didn't vote because it did not give dual boot options in the poll so none applied. I will probally buy it for the eye candy and for those few Windows programs I still like to use. My main operating system will remain Ubuntu or some other form of Linux. I like the flexibility that dual booting gives me.

Iandefor
January 9th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Iandefor, DOOM 3 is natively supported by Linux.
I can get Vista for free (My father has full MSDN subscription through his job) but none of my machines can handle it (even tho they aren't slow) so I don't think I will look at it. Prolly gonna use it at some point this being the MS world. Cool. Well, I'd still like to play Halo anyways. But I might just get an Xbox for that.

aysiu
January 9th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Any distro that uses KDE can be said to more full of bloat than Vista. I just thought I would mention that. Kubuntu seems pretty bloatless to me (unlike SuSE, Mepis, and Linspire).

mstlyevil
January 9th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Kubuntu seems pretty bloatless to me (unlike SuSE, Mepis, and Linspire).

They did remove a lot of the clutter. I installed KDE on top of Ubuntu and I got the official release straight from KDE and it is loaded with useless crap that I have to uninstall. Kubuntu fixed that problem by doing all that work already, but Gnome just does not like being installed on top of Kubuntu so here I am.

JimmyJazz
January 9th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Any distro that uses KDE can be said to more full of bloat than Vista. I just thought I would mention that.

I didn't vote because it did not give dual boot options in the poll so none applied. I will probally buy it for the eye candy and for those few Windows programs I still like to use. My main operating system will remain Ubuntu or some other form of Linux. I like the flexibility that dual booting gives me.

True but most users are able to remove most of the bloat from KDE with just a little configing

Jaygo333
January 9th, 2006, 05:06 AM
How do you change the polls options.
I want to add an are for dualbooting but just can't figure it out.

:confused:h34r: Jaygo333 :confused:h34r:

towsonu2003
January 9th, 2006, 05:21 AM
dont have enough menu to buy the specs of vista... + i'm happy with linux and will buy a gaming console for gaming ;) .

gorkhal
January 9th, 2006, 05:28 AM
hey i wouldnt mind a peak...real question is would i be able to pay for it or for that matter would i want to pay for it?

Omnios
January 9th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Hopefully WIne will be working rather well when XP is dead because its Ubuntu all the way for me, no no VIsta for me.

lnostdal
January 9th, 2006, 05:47 AM
i'll look at the screenshots .. that's about it

(i've stopped helping friends/familiy that has not yet converted from Windows .. it's way to painfull :-# )

BWF89
January 9th, 2006, 05:49 AM
I don't plan to ever use Windows Vista (Debian w/KDE when I get my own PC) but my parent's next PC might have Vista installed. If Vista comes out next year which is probably when were getting a new computer.

briancurtin
January 9th, 2006, 05:51 AM
I can get Vista for free (My father has full MSDN subscription through his job) but none of my machines can handle it (even tho they aren't slow) so I don't think I will look at it. Prolly gonna use it at some point this being the MS world.
same deal here. my dad gets it with the MSDN packages they send out, so i could mess with it but i see no reason to. im happy where im at, and no smart company ill be working at will be running vista any time soon so i have no reason to jump in the water too quickly.

if i do decide mess with it, it sure as hell will be messed with thuroughly before paying a dime. ill probably try it out once the MSDN packages include it, on a separate machine.

mcduck
January 9th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Most likely I'll have to use it somewhere at some time, but I'll never install that on my own machine. I won't even install XP. When I need windows I use win2k, and if that doesn't work then I just dont use windows :D

The worst thing about windows is that you'll end using it anyway, at school/work or trying to help friends who use it. (And helping windows users is pain. I'm seriously thinking about getting a separate phone number for windows people, so I could bill them 1,50€/min. Then at least I'd get some money, or they'd stop calling. I would win either way ;))

Derek Djons
January 9th, 2006, 10:33 AM
I didn't voted since there was no option which matches my situation. As long as gaming can't be done the same way as on Windows (referring to the quantity of games and choices) I'll have to use Windows on my Gaming computer. So I think I will be running Vista... but I think.

I've installed the beta some time ago and was really shocked by the GUI. I know Microsoft wants to makes things easy for users but the quantity and the sort of buttons they placed everywhere is really confusing me. I can't possibly believe that such a full-buttonized / optionized GUI can be a help. I've been a technical service employee at a computershop for years. So when I'm looking for an option, I know what I want to edit. But dear GOD, it took me ages to find the options in VISTA I wanted to edit. Everything was hidden behind not an options, but full scale essays explaining what and why. And ... (you ain't going to believe this) you can actually edit a lof of options from different points within the OS.

Of course this isn't any information about the possibilities and advantages... so I will roll-in slowly probably (for gaming and photoshop only! that is). For the rest all my computers will remain Linux / Open Source.

gord
January 9th, 2006, 11:20 AM
i'll prolly take a sneek peek at it but i have my computer set up right now in a special way, namely a stripped down xp for gaming and ubuntu. i have a feeling longhorn will be kinda hard to strip down not to mention the enevitable compatibility breaking with my beloved older games and if it still has the what can only be called evil issue with opengl (im not sure if its even legal what they are doing)

.. man look at me, starting to sound like one of the peoples that bash windows for no reason -_-

ember
January 9th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I guess, I will use it, too, for some testing. If it comes out, before my studies end, maybe i'll get it for free. Otherwise I'm likely to stay with my Ubuntu/Win XP dualbooting solution for a while.

Perfect Storm
January 9th, 2006, 11:42 AM
No, linux all the way. I'm done with Windows and Microsoft.

awakatanka
January 9th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Vote in a month, but i stay dual boot. I need to learn the new windows version because of my work.

fuscia
January 9th, 2006, 02:22 PM
and was really shocked by the GUI. I know Microsoft wants to makes things easy for users but the quantity and the sort of buttons they placed everywhere is really confusing me. I can't possibly believe that such a full-buttonized / optionized GUI can be a help.

this made me think of something i once saw about f14 pilots shutting off half their instruments because they couldn't handle the overload during combat missions. all hail openbox!

Stormy Eyes
January 9th, 2006, 03:22 PM
this made me think of something i once saw about f14 pilots shutting off half their instruments because they couldn't handle the overload during combat missions. all hail openbox!

Having seen the cockpit of a F-14 Tomcat, I'm not at all surprised. For my part, I am going to ignore the existence of Vista until I have to use it at work.

Arktis
January 9th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I will certainly want to check it out in depth so that I can know what I'm talking about, but with all the restrictions/lockdowns I've been hearing about, it's highly unlikely that I'll be using it on my home computer.

Judging from the way things stand now, I see the future of personal computing looking very bleak. The industry will most likely do it's best to bring down the hammer of trusted computing full swing because it's in their interests to control us, their faithful cattle. Microsoft after all, has stated that they want their OS to power everything under the sun.

I'm going to want to stick with Linux as much as I can, but I would immagine that in the next few years, it may become even more difficult to do so. Unless more people start to "see the light" of open standards and support for linux, freebsd and the like increases. We will also have an interesting time once ReactOS (http://www.reactos.org/xhtml/en/index.html) gets to 1.0. Will there be a legal battle over this one? I would immagine so. I think people should try to support it as much as possible. Personally, when the time comes I will be making my own donation to the project. Still, whether or not ReactOS will prove to be a genuine and quality open source drop-in replacement for windows remains to be seen. Especially if it can't deal with Vista software and it's restrictions without breaking the law.

jc87
January 9th, 2006, 04:08 PM
I probably will install it in dual boot one day , just to see the new eye candy stuff , and other features , and i will unistall it after a few days and never use it as my work OS :) , XP is the last wintendo i use (and only for gaming).

earobinson
January 9th, 2006, 04:09 PM
sure Ill look at it, but I wont pay for it, Ill check it out at work or something. nothing wrong with looking!

Hygelac
January 9th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Given that I would have to PAY for Vista, I don't think I'll be using it on my own computer unless it somehow becomes necessary. However, I'm sure that I will still get to use it a bit on public machines (I'm curious just to see it; but not $100 curious).

Stuporglue:
Interesting that you should say that («I don't know how many people who get a new computer can resist at least looking at what came pre-installed»); I did install Kubuntu on my new computer without even booting XP once. ;)

Mr_J_
January 9th, 2006, 05:34 PM
I will probably see it somewhere but there is no way i'm paying for it.

I have other people in my house who are fanatic Windows supporters and might want a gander at it. If so I'll take a look too. If not I won't.

I don't care; so far; wether Windows Vista appears or not.

I care much more about other things like Xgl and the development of Xorg, stable composite managers and all those things we can derive more pleasure still in the linux world.

poofyhairguy
January 9th, 2006, 10:28 PM
I care much more about other things like Xgl and the development of Xorg, stable composite managers and all those things we can derive more pleasure still in the linux world.

Me 2.

stimpack
January 9th, 2006, 10:57 PM
I dual boot so would have had some interest in Vista, but all this DRM stuff in it turns me off. I think Ill stick to XP for games, Ubuntu for work and OS X for eye candy, I cant see what slot vista would fill in my usage.

xequence
January 9th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Ill download ether vista or whatever the server version is and install it. If it gets to DRM crazy, ill delete it, or if it is too slow.

Rackerz
January 9th, 2006, 11:42 PM
I'd use it mainly for gaming, I've been looking at the beta's and it's one hefty OS. It is definately faster and worth taking a look at. But it is locked down in so many ways.

donjuan
January 9th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Since so many people know me as a computer geek they often ask me for help fixing stuff. So I'll probably end up helping somebody with something on Vista. Personally, I'll only install it on my computer if I really need it, or happen to come by a free copy to replace my XP install.

IanA
January 10th, 2006, 12:16 AM
The ONLY new OS that I'll be looking at is coming out at about the same time, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. I'm switching to Ubuntu partially, I still use Mac OS 9 + below and OS X.

Ian A.

etc
January 10th, 2006, 12:37 AM
I'll probably just fool around with it when it comes out, but I don't plan on using it as my main OS or a dualboot.

Zimmer
January 10th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Unless it comes preloaded on a new machine (at no extra cost) the only way I will see Vista is on Demo models in the shops !
I was still using Win95 in 2002, for goodness sake..no, the moths in the wallet are not likely to be needing their sunglasses for quite some time yet... :)

Zimmer

poiuytr
January 10th, 2006, 04:02 AM
The last version of the Windows OS that I ever bought or could imagine myself to ever buy was Win2k. Win XP requires Product Activation, and that was a dealbreaker for me. I just do too many things on multiple computers in my house and am constantly swapping out equipment and machines, that even if the Product Activation idea wasn't morally repugnant to begin with, it is certainly completely impractical for a tinkerer like me.

Moreover, Windows just keeps getting less and less user-friendly, and more and more bloated with anti-user features (such as DRM, or the upcoming so-called Trusted Computer model). Companies may want that garbage, but no computer user in his right mind wants to be saddled with that.

I started with Linux in 2001, and I have never looked back. It just gets better and better ... and thus far, Ubuntu is the best of the best.

Alpha_toxic
January 10th, 2006, 06:57 PM
As I can get it for free (I'm a student and my university is a MSDN member), I'll probably install it for a day or two just to see what it's like. But there is no way I'm keeping it. The only versions of window$ I can stand are 2000 and 2003, and man I so much hate XP. All this eyecandy and useless functionality are so frustrating. I suppose Vista will continue the XP way, so don't count me there.
Right now I'm dualbooting with 2003 just to be compatible with the software at my university.
Except that my comp is not high-end and will not be happy at all with all the bloat in Vista.

jeremy
January 10th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I voted that I would never leave ubuntu.
The fact is that I will never go to Microfost, though I will presumerably continue to make a part of my income getting rid of clients' virii and spyware etc., so I will have to go on touching windows (just as long as it doesn't rub off!).
I can envisage leaving ubuntu for another shade of Linux at some point, I don't plan to do this, but should ubuntu lose its greatness in time...

LanceM
January 10th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I have been windows free at home for over a year. I can't say that I would never leave ubuntu, but I will never leave ubuntu for microsoft. I thought that fedora core was the best choice for me until I installed Breezy 3 weeks ago.

At work, a whole different story. Linux is taboo and we will probably be moving to vista shortly after service pack 1 is released.

BSDFreak
January 10th, 2006, 09:21 PM
How many people will actually *look* or move to Windows(bleH) Vista
when it comes out?
How many will actually switch to it, and if you are, for how long.

:rolleyes:h34r: Jaygo333 :rolleyes:h34r:

Post Vista vs. Ubuntu Comments Here.

I'll probably get it sooner or later, MS gives out loads for free at conventions and such so it's not like it's hard to get a free legal copy.

I'll be running that so my son can play his games, i'll probably play with it a bit to see what's different from XP but i'll keep at least one linux distro and one BSD on my main box too.

I voted "Forever" since it's more likely that i'll replace Ubuntu with Slackware than it is that i'll replace Vista with something else that supports the games my son plays.

%hMa@?b<C
January 10th, 2006, 09:43 PM
maybe i will test it out at the store, but ubuntu and buffalo linux are enough for me

Lord Illidan
January 10th, 2006, 10:04 PM
I will take a peek, if I can get it for free (student prices in malta pretty low), but I don't think I will change to Windows. However, better learn it because chances are that I will use it at work...(hope not)

ade234uk
January 10th, 2006, 10:20 PM
I will look but I will never ever go back to Windows full time on my home machines. I really dont like Microsofts attitude anymore either they stink.

SteelValor
January 10th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Triple or quad boot. Linux, XP, Vista

(Big HD's :) )

I keep windows around only for gaming.

Pete051
January 10th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Sorry folk but try as I will I can't think of any reason for doing anything quite that stupid :(

cb951303
January 10th, 2006, 11:00 PM
as long as they support opengl via directx api I won't try it

nordmann
January 10th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I work eight hours a day in cubicle-landia, so I'm sure I'll be forced to deal with Vista (as in "hasta la...") and Longhorn (as in "BS from a...") sometime in the future.

Microsoft has had fifteen years to make good on their promises that they are going to begin providing stable, reasonably high-quality software. The next release is always going to be the one that makes good on this promise. Would your employer cut you break after break and give you the benefit of the doubt for fifteen years of nearly uninterrupted failure to perform? Not likely.

nordmann
January 10th, 2006, 11:12 PM
as long as they support opengl via directx api I won't try it

Yes, I got bitten by that one, too, during a development project. It turns out that the .Net graphics libraries are just wrappers around those broken old libraries. (So much for their claim that .Net is written from scratch.)

I've programmed in Java for almost 10 years now, and I've never had a Sun-certified Java implementation screw up on me. Three hours after my first .Net project I was staring at a BSOD. 'Nuff said. M$ sucks. They just can't do it, no matter how hard their marketing department tries to fool people to believe otherwise.

Elader
January 11th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Since I just recently converted to Ubuntu (its been about two weeks) from M$. I ain't going to spend any money for any of their OS, though I might dual boot if I can get a copy of a later system for free. -which I doubt is going to happen for me. :???:

Maupertus
January 11th, 2006, 01:08 AM
I don't really like the options because although I usualy only use *nix as a OS, I still like to have Windows on a partioned piece of harddrive. Not really as a backup (Yeah LiveCD) I'm still a bit of a closet-gamer.

So I'll probably have a look at Vista, although if I wanted what Vista is offering, I'd run Kubuntu.

DigitalDuality
January 11th, 2006, 02:45 AM
Considering i work in the IT world.. it's inevitable. I'll have to wait until their Exchange Server becomes outdated until i replace that with Sendmail, postfix, or Hula mail.. but i'll never be able to pry the employee's away from windows.

I did however get them all on firefox, disabled accessing the IE icon through a group policy, and installed Mozilla Thunderbird and OpenOffice. It was bumpy at first, but they got the hang of it.

But yeah, i work on XP and 2003 machines all day. Chances are, i will with Vista too when the time arises. Though it probably won't be when it comes out.

Zelut
January 11th, 2006, 02:56 AM
Why the hell would I 1) pay for an operating system 2) pay symantec to keep it safe 3) run a POS operating system on purpose?

M$ will _NEVER_ match the reliability & security of Linux no matter how many bloated releases they have. I will never use M$ on my personal machines again.

DigitalDuality
January 11th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Just a reminder.....

the original poster said "look", he didn't say purchase.

And also, there were people who used to do the little $$ crap to companies like Sun and IBM. Now they are huge helpers in the open source field. So never say never. If Google ends up trumping MS in the long run... (and lets also think about the paradigm shift as the net being more and more of a platform itself complete with online apps), MS might one day be praised as the good guy underdog.

I don't agree with MS, but lets face it. the open source world is a helping hand to companies who aren't #1 and the public cheers them on for it. If MS were to ever fall in that position, i'm sure alot of the open source community would back them and be "loyal" once again.

iand675@gmail.com
January 11th, 2006, 03:18 AM
I quad boot it currently. It's decent, but it pretty much rapes my geforce 5200. All of those graphic effects are amazing looking, but really eat your computer's resources. If you are easily sucked in by eye candy, it's nice to take a peek at, but as far as purchasing goes I wouldn't touch it.