PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how can I get apt-get to install eclipse 3.4.2

amadain17
May 1st, 2009, 09:01 PM
I have Jaunty Jackalope and wanted to upgrade my eclipse install to 3.4.2 using apt-get.
The only eclipse apt-get will install is eclipse 3.2.2 and after that it states ' eclipse is already the newest version' when you try to upgrade it to the latest version.
I want to upgrade my eclipse rather than uninstalling it and reinstalling eclipse 3.4.2 as I have many different plugins and settings I want to keep.
Any suggestions?

gocek
May 1st, 2009, 10:24 PM
As far as I know there's no such possibility. I read somewhere that there's not enough manpower to keep eclipse packages up to date. So you probably won't get 3.4.2 in the repositories anytime soon.
But... installing it manually means literally place somewhere one file. Not sure how it goes with the plugins unfortunatelly.

stretch427
May 1st, 2009, 11:06 PM
Have you tried updating?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install eclipse
sudo apt-get upgrade

Sense
June 1st, 2009, 04:35 PM
Have you tried updating?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install eclipse
sudo apt-get upgrade

That wouldn't make a difference since 3.4 just isn't in the repository. Unless you add a repository that does contain the newest version it has no use to try to update it using apt.

One such repository is the PPA of the Eclipse Team: https://launchpad.net/~eclipse-team/+archive/ppa
Unfortunately its 64bit build failed, so you'll have to use the official downloads at www.eclipse.org, which are the directories with already compiled executables. You can just execute the included binaries.