PDA

View Full Version : What OS's does your school use?

BWF89
January 9th, 2006, 02:07 AM

aysiu
January 9th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Intro?
Poll?

majikstreet
January 9th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Windows XP (which SUCKS.. with IE too..)

NeoChaosX
January 9th, 2006, 02:40 AM
I've seen:
- Windows XP Pro, Mac OS X, and Fedora Core in the public lab of my university
- Windows XP Pro, Fedora Core 4, and Solaris in the computer science labs
- Windows 2000 in the library (but it's a dual univeristy/main public library, so I guess it makes some sense)

Hey, at least they have some Unix variations. :D

stuporglue
January 9th, 2006, 02:58 AM
In the public access labs, most are Windows XP althogh there are several nice Mac labs too. The computer science department's labs are mostly FC4 with a couple of smaller Windows labs. The phsics department uses, or used, Mandrake in many of it's labs. The mechanical engineering department has some Unix labs for it's CAD tools and other high-end stuff. Some Sun boxes, and some HP ( I think?), but I don't know which OS.

Most professors have Windows, but there's a good number of them with Mac and even a suprising number with Linux. Maybe 10 or 20% of the students have Macs, and a very small number have Linux.

augied
January 9th, 2006, 03:35 AM
I go to a very small high school (about 50 students.) The students have access to 5 windows machines (I think one of them is 2000 and the rest are xp), 2 macs (one with osx), and one mac which I personally installed Ubuntu on. I am trying to fix up another ancient mac with Xubuntu as it is too slow to run anything else.

Iandefor
January 9th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Mac OS X. Well, the computer they use for accounting is a PC running Windows XP. Aside from that, though, it's pure OS X.

Lews Therin
January 9th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Public labs use WinXP and OS X. One computer lab uses Win 2000, one uses various old Sun boxes connected to servers running various UNIXes (Solaris, SunOS, Tru64), and there's a single Linux box in the student lab running Ubuntu (used to be Fedora 2)

etc
January 9th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Windows 2000

kenweill
January 9th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Windows XP for the students.
FreeBSD in the server. For the admin only.

dcast
January 9th, 2006, 04:15 AM
Win Xp and theres one lab of eMacs with OS X

super
January 9th, 2006, 04:39 AM
been awhile since i was in school. but when i was, my school used win2000 server edition.

truth be told it was pretty good. the novell networking software crashed alot more than windows did.

briancurtin
January 9th, 2006, 05:36 AM
all XP, every lab on campus

my CS lab has a red hat server, but no workstations. you can ssh in and such, but thats it except for our department chair/admin

BWF89
January 9th, 2006, 05:42 AM
I didn't mean to make this thread without a poll. Must have hit submit instead of preview and after that I had to leave to go eat dinner so I exited out of Firefox.

Well since this thread is made I'll go:

Our school uses Mac Classic and 0S10 for like 90% of the stuff and Windows Professional for CAD and Visual Basic.

When I made this thread accidently I was going to have the poll options something like:
1. Mainly Windows
2. Mainly Macintosh
3. Mainly *nix
4. Windows and Macintosh about 50/50
5. Windows and *nix about 50/50
6. Macintosh and *nix about 50/50
7. Some other combination I didn't mention above

WildTangent
January 9th, 2006, 05:43 AM
My school used to use Windows 98, but this year they installed XP on all of them. There's about 15 emacs running OS X in the media arts room, and 5 in my Communications Technology class used for video editing. The XP computers are horrible, because everything's locked down. We can't right click to access context menus, we can't change our screen resolution (stuck at a horrible 800x600 on 17" monitors), can't change desktop backgrounds, themes...basically nothing. I've found workarounds for most of this problems. I even had a friend write a program in visual basic to change my screen res, and I found that I can set backgrounds with Firefox. Unfortunately...a couple days before my Christmas holiday started, all my installed apps were deleted, including Firefox, Nvu, Winamp....Counter Strike :cool: I reinstalled them, and then later in the day found myself face to face with a very angry system admin. The next day, my account was suspended. I was told I'd get it back after the holidays, so tomorrow...I now have Firefox, Nvu and Winamp installed on my USB drive (portableapps.com rules :))

-Wild

towsonu2003
January 9th, 2006, 06:13 AM
you realy need a poll for this :)

they are a fun of microsoft (win xp) in such a way that they barely allow you to install firefox in their computers...

ironically, they use solaris in their servers...

chimera
January 9th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Fedora 4 for servers, Ubuntu and XP on workstations (partially thanks to me):D

Freddie.Ruddick
January 9th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Almost all Win2k, with about 20 workstations on XP. Even the media/video editing lab has windows :(. Win2003 server :( But a BSD server for hosting the intranet...

oxEz
January 9th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Windows XP
Solaris 5.8
FreeBSD (idk which version)

majikstreet
January 9th, 2006, 05:23 PM
oh yeah.. my school has filters, but we were allowed on the net today in class, and I'm posting this from school :P

bored2k
January 9th, 2006, 05:25 PM
College has Windows XP and 2003 Server. They might have some boxes with Linux, but I have yet to see them.

earobinson
January 9th, 2006, 05:27 PM
university of toronto
debian (computer science only)
windows xp and 200 (everyone else)
mac (random)

profs have a choice of anything... you see a lot of mac proffs

earobinson
January 9th, 2006, 05:28 PM
I didn't mean to make this thread without a poll. Must have hit submit instead of preview and after that I had to leave to go eat dinner so I exited out of Firefox.

Well since this thread is made I'll go:

Our school uses Mac Classic and 0S10 for like 90% of the stuff and Windows Professional for CAD and Visual Basic.

When I made this thread accidently I was going to have the poll options something like:
1. Mainly Windows
2. Mainly Macintosh
3. Mainly *nix
4. Windows and Macintosh about 50/50
5. Windows and *nix about 50/50
6. Macintosh and *nix about 50/50
7. Some other combination I didn't mention above

you could msg an admin and have them add the poll in... they are very good about this kind of thing.

EDIT: sorry bout the double post

Thirsteh
January 9th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Went to a boarding school once that had SUsE, everything else has been ******* 95/98/2000/XP ...ugh even XP home

dosed150
January 9th, 2006, 06:39 PM
all the computers at my school use windows xp professional

kaamos
January 9th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Workstations are either Debian, Solaris or Winxp.

blueturtl
January 9th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Windows XP on workstations and and some flavour of *nix on the serverside.
Windows crashes almost daily during lectures while viewing PowerPoint presentations (very embarassing for the staff, and especially for the lecturer). :rolleyes:

joeljkp
January 9th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Win2000 and OSX in the public labs, Solaris on the servers and the research workstations.

rock freak
January 9th, 2006, 07:02 PM
college has got win xp on the new PC's win2000 on the heaps of shite and also linux for us a levelers doing computing!!:D its ubuntu as well which is how i got into it and now im hooked!

IYY
January 9th, 2006, 08:00 PM
We have Mac labs for the design students, Windows XP labs for regular students and for CS students such as myself, Linux (RedHat). We also had a few Solaris labs, but they're gone now.

There are also some Win 98 computers in the middle of the hall which are more often than not displaying the BSOD.

The science profs often use Linux in their offices, and have Apple laptops.

jonathanm
January 9th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Most of ours have a strange mix of WinXP and RM (Not an OS but acts like one),
Some Macs running macosx,
Some old computers running win98
and finally some even older acorns on a separate novell network

neoflight
January 9th, 2006, 08:16 PM
XP, Mac and RedHat enterprise... i rarely use common labs...
we have excellent linux clusters for interactive computing as well as batch processing...

my office pc is now an Ubuntu box ...

Frazer
January 9th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Debian Sarge (KDE and Gnome in most labs duel boot with Windows XP(xp is stupidly cripled with no acces to anything even no right click in case u try to change settings/access files ect - which u can all do in command prompt lol so i dont see why they did it)
Mac OSX in a few lab rooms
XP in the library

MethodOne
January 11th, 2006, 04:02 AM
In college:
-Library, work room, and lounge computers run Windows XP Pro with GoBack
-Server runs NetWare

Lab computers:
-XP Pro with GoBack
-XP Pro with admin rights
-Windows 2000 Pro with admin rights
-Fedora Core 3 with root access
-Windows Server 2003 with admin rights
-SUSE with root access
-NetWare

The lab configurations are stored on hard drives in mobile racks

My high school at the time had all Windows 98, except one lab running XP Pro and the card catalog computers with Windows 95. The 98 computers had CD boot disabled and some with disabled floppy boot. Also, the same 98 systems had the display config disabled. All computers except the server had Deep Freeze and were behind a SonicWALL firewall, which was also a web filter. I had no clue what the server ran.

rado_london
January 17th, 2006, 02:50 AM
My college has Windows XP Pro on the Desktops.
But fortunately I fould an old computer from the lab and converted it to my ubuntu dream box.
Now it has Glass Case and Neon inside it.
Everyone is quite interested when I am in front of it.
I love it.
And the place is located between 60 Win PCs and I called it the Penguin Corner:D :D :D

GTropic
March 29th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Windows XP Pro
I have one lab with a dual boot Windows XP/Ubuntu.
I want more labs with Ubuntu.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
March 29th, 2006, 10:50 PM
My school is running Mac 9.2 on all computers except for two modern Dell computers running Windows XP and they are very slow.

DirtDawg
March 29th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Windows XP and OSX is all I've seen. Who knows what goes on in private computer labs (like the science dept.).

Luckily, all computers come equiped with Firefox, OpenOffice, etc.

John.Michael.Kane
March 29th, 2006, 10:59 PM
HS had novell servers, and windows workstations
College had Sun , windows mac stations. novell and unix based servers,and some clusters aswell

However this was a long time ago so things may have changed.

Lux Perpetua
March 30th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Old, slow Solaris workstations.

public_void
March 30th, 2006, 02:18 AM
At university
- Windows XP Pro almost all computers
- Some Solaris for computer science
- Servers run NetWare
- Internal forums run Debian

TTT_travis
March 30th, 2006, 05:15 AM
My school has:

1 Lab with about 27 Compaq 3.2Ghz P4HT running Windows XP Pro
1 Library lab with 20? Compaq 3.2Ghz P4HT running Windows XP Pro
1 Elem lab with about 25 or so P3 computers with Windows 2000
1 Library lab with about 20 or so P3 computers with Windows 2000
1 Jr. High lab with about 25 or so P3 computers with Windows 2000

as for servers from what I can tell from looking around they seem to be running Netware on some Compaq Proliants which are fileservers and contain eDirectory and all of that good stuff, they also have some sort of server running Windows 2003 for the proprietary Skyward gradebook software.

Sirin
March 30th, 2006, 05:34 AM
My school uses...

http://www.p0stwh0res.com/images/owned-BSOD.png

I bet they learned their lesson. :D
Now it's time to tell them about a little something called "Edubuntu". 8)

J D Wijbenga
March 30th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Unfortunatly Win XP.

JD