PDA

View Full Version : Development vs Stability.

srikar
May 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM
I found some what jaunty is not as smooth as previous version.There are many bugs related to jaunty over launchpad.Some bugs are very frustrating even though they donot effect the performance.

I feel developers should repeat the word "Stability" 100 times before they say "Develop".What do you feel?

liamnixon
May 1st, 2009, 08:34 PM
I think they update the kernel way too much. For a long-term support release, the kernel should be updated maybe once, I think. I just don't see the need to update it all the time and risk breakage for minor new features. Just wait till something big gets updated/patched, then update. ;)

Just my two cents (and I am not a Linux kernel expert).

Namtabmai
May 1st, 2009, 08:39 PM
Er those frequent kernel updates in a LTS are just security patches, which is something you do want. The don't do major kernel upgrades in an LTS AFAIK.

kestrel1
May 1st, 2009, 08:39 PM
Lets face it the developers are doing this for free, so whatever they do is good with me. I am not a programer & I take my hat off to those who are. I see what you are saying though & agree to a certain extent. Maybe updates should be made once a month unless they are for security reasons or to fix a bug.

simtaalo
May 1st, 2009, 08:40 PM
you can choose to only do the security updates and ignore the others.

hardyn
May 1st, 2009, 08:45 PM
That is why we have the LTS version, these are the stable releases. Development has to occur, things have to break to move forward otherwise the post would read "linux is too far behind windows". There is a bit of an art in the balance between development vs. stability; and i think the devs get it right most of the time.

kestrel1
May 1st, 2009, 08:49 PM
That is why we have the LTS version, these are the stable releases. Development has to occur, things have to break to move forward otherwise the post would read "linux is too far behind windows". There is a bit of an art in the balance between development vs. stability; and i think the devs get it right most of the time.
Yep, I agree as I said earlier, hats off to the developers :guitar:

chriskin
May 1st, 2009, 08:56 PM
I found some what jaunty is not as smooth as previous version.There are many bugs related to jaunty over launchpad.Some bugs are very frustrating even though they donot effect the performance.

I feel developers should repeat the word "Stability" 100 times before they say "Develop".What do you feel?

Even though i just can't see why you don't consider it smooth, i definitely prefer the cutting edge, even if it becomes bleeding edge, over the stability of not updating.
the choice would be to give more attention to better code over fast code, even though i believe that the current condition has both good and fast developers

you can choose to only do the security updates and ignore the others.

exactly :)