PDA

View Full Version : Finding Help For UBUNTU is Realy Hard

linuxishard
January 9th, 2006, 01:58 AM
After installing UBUNTU about 8 (million) times.. i finaly succeded... Without any knowledge of LINUX or for that matter PCs in general...

BUT!
This was after the most frustraighting two days of my life...

WHY....?

well first i wanted to partition my disk so that i could keep my windows OS, so i could keep everything i needed that i couldnt do with LINUX,
this worked first time, but there was a conflict regarding the need for a ROOT password when no password was set in the first place and there was no need for it to ask for one.
Plus most programmes would fail to load compleatly, im still not sure why.

then i tried it again, This time compleatly wipeing everything and simply making UBUNTU the only OS on the PC, this didnt work for a LARGE number of reasons mainly to with the Install failing due to not bieng able to unpack the appropriate Files to the system.
I tried this multiple times.... Untill suddenly it decided that it would work but it would only install the Terminal and not the X side of the OS this was once again down to not installing all of the components from the disk.

With alot of time and effort i finaly mannaged to track down some people that were able to help me find the right set of commands to enter into the terminal to get my PC to Install the missing components. And that took the nest part of a long ass day.
And realy didnt solv a thing, But it did mean that i wasable to use the desktop

The problem then was that nothing would work, once again, This included my internet connection which made things harder because the internet support that i had been able to get before to get that far was no longer there,

So after trying to fix the problems and failing everytime....
i installed it again and well.... It just seemed to work.

In the end i came up with this conclusion,

If you dont know anything about LINUX or just computers THEN STAY AWAY, cos its not easy. and help is real hard to find. Especialy when what you need it to be talked through a process, Such as entering commands into the terminal.

But in the End Even I mannaged to pull it off Even though it took a long time its still Working like it should, And im an idiot.
So i ges if i can do it anyone can.

But thanks to everbody that helped me work out what was wrong and try to fix it. I would have Just Quit and gone back to Windows if it wernt for your help... And that would have sucked...........Thank you:)

linuxishard
January 9th, 2006, 02:01 AM
that sed.. After Struggling to find help..... Alot of the problems do seem to fix themselvs... So i reacon Ubuntu is pretty damn good at doin what it should. You just have to give it a few chances to get it right.

leech
January 9th, 2006, 02:06 AM
All those problems sound like you had a bad disk or something. But I guess it eventually was able to read it all and install after all. Just reading the topic of your post I was thinking "What is wrong with this guy? Obviously he found the forum and almost everyone here is very helpful" but then you say that you didn't have internet....

Well, as Ubuntu and linux in general get more market share, there will be more people in the world that will help with problems, without needing an internet account.

Leech

aysiu
January 9th, 2006, 02:06 AM

If you dont know anything about LINUX or just computers THEN STAY AWAY, cos its not easy. and help is real hard to find. Especialy when what you need it to be talked through a process, Such as entering commands into the terminal. I came to a different conclusion. Installing any operating system on a computer not designed specifically for that operating system is hard. Applies to Windows too.

Also, Ubuntu is not Linux. There are many Linux distributions, and some are a lot easier to install and configure than Ubuntu.

And, believe it or not, not everyone has a difficult a time as you. Ubuntu worked straight out of the box for me. I added two lines to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and that was it. I'm not alone, either. (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=110161)

And why is help hard to find? I've found these forums very helpful--in fact, they're the only reason I'm using Ubuntu and not Mepis.

leech
January 9th, 2006, 02:10 AM
I came to a different conclusion. Installing any operating system on a computer not designed specifically for that operating system is hard. Applies to Windows too.

Also, Ubuntu is not Linux. There are many Linux distributions, and some are a lot easier to install and configure than Ubuntu.

And, believe it or not, not everyone has a difficult a time as you. Ubuntu worked straight out of the box for me. I added two lines to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and that was it. I'm not alone, either. (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=110161)

And why is help hard to find? I've found these forums very helpful--in fact, they're the only reason I'm using Ubuntu and not Mepis.

I can honestly say out of the plethora of distributions that I have installed, by far the easiest has been Xandros. Four click install. Ubuntu would be a close second. Just because the installer isn't GUI, doesn't make it hard to install. Hell, Windows' installer is pretty much the same for the first half of it.

Leech

ubuntu_demon
January 9th, 2006, 02:12 AM
I moved this thread to the community chat. since it does not belong in a support forum.

majikstreet
January 9th, 2006, 02:23 AM
ubuntu is the easyist for me too.. I've gotten a lot of help here, too.

I couldn't get Xorg to work at first, but that was because of an integrated gfx card..

JimmyJazz
January 9th, 2006, 02:48 AM
aw linux isn't hard its just not windows.

Iandefor
January 9th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Yeah, sounds like you had a bad disc. I agree with JimmyJazz, as well. Linux is pretty different from Windows.

23meg
January 9th, 2006, 04:03 AM
This thread title really doesn't do justice to the great Ubuntu documentation all over the web, these forums and the users mailing list.

poofyhairguy
January 9th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Hell Ubuntu user! From your description it seems you had a bunk install CD. Those happen. I'm glad you pulled through it! You are always welcome here in the Ubuntu Community!

If you dont know anything about LINUX or just computers THEN STAY AWAY, cos its not easy. and help is real hard to find. Especialy when what you need it to be talked through a process, Such as entering commands into the terminal.

I have to agree with you. Since most nerds (well...here in the U.S.) have tons of Windows knowledge its hard to find good help.

Honestly if you do not know much about computer (and are not willing to go through at least one weekend of heck) then maybe you should re-evaluate your switch.

This is why I gripe out nerds that are willing to pass out Ubuntu cds to "normal" users but aren't willing to set it all up for those users- I honestly think that person can do far more damage than good in most cases.

Windows is really hard to install too....its just that no one does that. We all get it preinstalled and use restore CDs.

But now that you are here we can all help you with future problems you might have.