PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Installing on Asus eee

pbewig
May 1st, 2009, 08:04 PM
I want to install xubuntu 9.04 on an Asus eee 900. I do not want to use the netbook remix, just standard xubuntu. What packages must I add to the standard xubuntu install to use get the Asus power management, wifi, mousepad, and function-key features?

Many thanks,

Phil

aysiu
May 1st, 2009, 09:08 PM
I don't know about Xubuntu, but in Ubuntu 9.04 on my Eee 701, I just installed it as is. Power management, wireless, touchpad, and function keys all worked out of the box (except for the wireless on/off key, but I never use that key and actually prefer it not to work).

No additional packages necessary.

blackened
May 1st, 2009, 09:24 PM
The vast majority of the ACPI stuff has been incorporated into default kernel modules. The rest you can get by installing eee-control from here -> http://greg.geekmind.org/eee-control/deb/

pbewig
May 1st, 2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks. I'll try it this evening and report what happens.

How do I use the .deb file? Do I copy the file to my home directory and then say

sudo apt-get install eee-control_0.9.2_all~jaunty.deb

Thanks again,

Phil

aysiu
May 1st, 2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks. I'll try it this evening and report what happens.

How do I use the .deb file? Do I copy the file to my home directory and then say

sudo apt-get install eee-control_0.9.2_all~jaunty.deb

Thanks again,

Phil
No, you just double-click it, and GDebi will install it for you.

pbewig
May 2nd, 2009, 04:31 AM
Most things seem to be working. I got all the normal codecs. But sound doesn't work. I think everything is set up properly. But no sound.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Phil

pbewig
May 2nd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Okay. I've got it now. Thanks to all.

Phil

aysiu
May 2nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
Okay. I've got it now. Thanks to all.

Phil
Do you want to explain what you did, in case another Xubuntu Eee user stumbles upon this thread?

steve_d
May 3rd, 2009, 02:34 PM
On my Asus Eee 1000H I did the following:

System -> Preferences -> Sound

The sound devices were set to auto, which I believe was trying to use pulseaudio and the tests play back as static/buzz. I switched the devices to
HDA Intel ALC269 Analog (OSS) and the sound test played the tone normally.

Hopefully this is similar to other eee's and it helps someone.

Steve

heardamir
June 10th, 2009, 03:40 AM
This is how I installed on an ASUS EEE PC that came with windows WITHOUT an external CD drive.

You'll need:

your ASUS EEE PC
USB Key (>= 1gb free)
(x)Ubuntu ISO file

unetbootin for windows

Step 1.
Download the ISO, do the hash check etc.
Step 2.
Downoad "unetbootin-windows-344"
Step 3.
Boot XP, plug in your USB, open unetbootin, select "DISK IMAGE", browse for the ISO, select USB drive and path, click OK. Upon completion restart your machine.
Step 4.
Jump into BIOS, and select your USB as primary boot disk, save and exit.
Step 5.
Select "Default" option. Ubuntu will load (trial) from USB. Run the "Install" that is sitting on your desktop. Follow the prompts.
Step 6. Reboot and jump back into bios.. Change your boot settings back.
DONE!

Note: booting back to XP may require you to change boot settings in BIOS, depending on the settings selected in the Install.

Happy Ubuntu-ing BAM!
Andy