PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't find common applications with apt-get

chudak
May 1st, 2009, 07:59 PM
I just wiped my harddrive and did a fresh install of Jaunty. I'm also running Jaunty on another laptop that I upgraded for Intrepid.

I'm trying to reinstall some common applications that I have on my other machine and had on this one before the reinstall but I can't seem to find them in the repos:

grsync
fslint
ghex
vpnc

Example:

chudak@chudak-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install ghex
[sudo] password for chudak:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package ghex

WTF?!

I have all the normal Canonical repositories enabled and these applications are 'supposedly' in the jaunty repositories based on:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/ghex
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/vpnc

etc

Any ideas?

zvacet
May 1st, 2009, 08:30 PM
All packages are from universe repository.Enable universe and multiverse in system>admin>software sources and you will be able to install that packages.

tom56
May 1st, 2009, 08:41 PM
If that doesn't solve it try running

sudo apt-get update

zvacet
May 2nd, 2009, 01:44 AM
If that doesn't solve it try running
Code:
sudo apt-get update

That can not help if he doesn´t add repos where packages are.

Peasantoid
May 2nd, 2009, 01:47 AM
That can not help if he doesn´t add repos where packages are.
He's saying that after the OP adds the repos, then do "sudo apt-get update" if it doesn't work.

tom56
May 2nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
Actually, since multiverse is enabled by default, I thought that maybe it's in their sources.list but their mirror had been down last time they did an apt-get update.

chudak
May 3rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
He's saying that after the OP adds the repos, then do "sudo apt-get update" if it doesn't work.

I already had the repos enabled.

However, after I did an update, the package list got updated and the applications were available. Apparently they weren't in the package list included with the installer.

Thanks for the helps folks!!