PDA

View Full Version : How many people use Linux at work?

tbrminsanity
May 1st, 2009, 05:39 PM
How many of you use Linux as your main OS at work? Did you have to get special permission? How do others see Linux in your workplace?

My workplace is very Linux friendly and as such every employee is allowed to install either RHEL (the recommended distro), Fedora (the second recommended distro), SUSE, Ubuntu, or Debian (all other distros are not supported and our work tools will not work on them). We are now starting to get internal e-mails of all the people that have switched over to Linux or have dual-boot machines. It is nice to see. When I'm at a client site they tend to think I'm running Windows (they just want to know where to get Compiz for their desktop). It is funny when I try to explain to them that I'm running Linux (Duh, what's Linux? (I kid it isn't that bad)).

Microsoft still rules the office computer with an iron fist but it is nice to see that the rebellion has started (even if only in IT firms).

fifth
May 1st, 2009, 05:43 PM
I chose multi-boot but actually run Ubuntu in a vm on an XP host. Unfortunately at work we have a lot a propriety windows software :(

wsonar
May 1st, 2009, 05:48 PM
Yes BUt not for anything work related, just to have a linux box handy..,

Tho one time we where doing an IP change for the whole network and after the new IP change my linux box's where the only ones DHCP gave the new IP to, none of the XP machines worked this helped to isolate it to a windows issue

wsonar
May 1st, 2009, 05:49 PM
I would like to find a business that isn't bound by MS I know there are a few out there..

does anybody work for one of these places?

tbrminsanity
May 1st, 2009, 05:51 PM
I would like to find a business that isn't bound by MS I know there are a few out there..

does anybody work for one of these places?

I do, but I work for Blue so I'm bound by different rules.

Lifelock
May 1st, 2009, 05:57 PM
I am a researcher in computer science and universities tend to be very open-minded to the OS and applications you use. Typically, licenses for windows and apple machines are available, but if you want to use something else it is all up to you.

Helpdesks typically support windows and apple machines only, but most universities have linux mailinglists and knowledge bases to get your linux box settled in the network.

Application-wise it does not really matter which OS you use, interaction with others is pretty straightforward these days anyway. The only time you struggle is when you are collaborating with partners using different tools (e.g. writing an article with someone using word when you are using LaTeX). But this will always exist no matter which OS you use.

binbash
May 1st, 2009, 06:20 PM
I am using it at my work.Everyone uses it except designers

beercz
May 1st, 2009, 06:36 PM
I do, but I am self employed (http://lidd.net) at the moment.

Namtabmai
May 1st, 2009, 06:38 PM
At my old job I used Linux solely, or a MacBook Pro ( OS X annoyed the hell out of me). A year ago a moved on, better job, better pay but I have to use Windows everyday.

And on some days, when I spend half my time dealing with Windows useless error messages and total lack of information I think to myself, "The extra money wasn't worth this".

stwschool
May 1st, 2009, 06:40 PM
I'm the IT guy at the school I work in (I teach IT, maintain the computers, run the school website and basically handle all things IT here). Anyway, teachers are a funny lot, who can be quite demanding and moany if they don't get their own way. They've been wrecking windows pcs with viruses for ages before I got there and frankly the machines were a mess. I did a lock-down of course to get things stable, but this just wasn't a solution, it got in the way of usability too much and people got fed up.

That's actually what brought me to Linux. I tried a load of different distros in virtualbox, before settling on ubuntu and dual-booting my own laptop to see if I could do my work in it. I found that I could, and after evaluating what people were using the windows PCs for found that I could give them all they needed without the virus headaches (I've even been kind enough to give them Office 2007 through crossover).

Needless to say I'm now getting much less hassle regarding broken computers, and tonight's discovery of Slitaz means I should be able to get a few more usable PCs for the staff room at a cost of bugger all. A win for linux and something management will approve of.

My task this school year (our school year starts in a few weeks) will be to dual-boot the kid's machines and conduct the majority of my lessons in linux. Hopefully then I'll be kick-starting a generation of tech-savvy computer users, not locked into MS software. I did a little bit of this last school year through virtualbox and it went well so fingers crossed this'll be cool too :)

So, in answer, the whole school is slowly converting to Linux.

stwschool
May 1st, 2009, 06:42 PM
At my old job I used Linux solely, or a MacBook Pro ( OS X annoyed the hell out of me). A year ago a moved on, better job, better pay but I have to use Windows everyday.

And on some days, when I spend half my time dealing with Windows useless error messages and total lack of information I think to myself, "The extra money wasn't worth this".
Agreed, the extra hassle really isn't worth it. My life's been so much easier since I switched the staff computers to linux (btw the really scary thing is the teachers are worse than the kids!)

decoherence
May 1st, 2009, 06:45 PM
I do. I run XP in a virtual machine so that I can run a real version of GroupWise (the latest Groupwise 8 linux client is still a piece of java flavoured poo and evolution was buggy as all hell when I tried in intrepid) but otherwise everything is linux.

I also have an non-production linux testing machine and a Mac for running Workgroup Manager and Apple Remote Desktop (both of which are also pieces of poo, imho) and for doing video conversions when I get sick of RTFMing ffmpeg switches. (bring us MPEG Streamclip for linux!)

Idaho Dan
May 1st, 2009, 06:56 PM
I do.
I'd sure hate to have to go back to Windows, so don't tell my boss!

skillllllz
May 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM
A few months ago (after extensive testing), I migrated more than half of our MS workstations to Ubuntu workstations. They each have VirtualBox for the odds & ends that sometimes require XP. The other half of our network and our other two locations will slowly be migrated to Ubuntu over the next two years. All of our various servers run Ubuntu Server. Two of them host our legacy MS servers via VMware and VirtualBox.

bigm141414
May 1st, 2009, 07:14 PM
I do a bit, altohugh its mainly UNIX, but there are some logins to a linux server at work. Cadence does not run on Windows thankfully.

Firestem4
May 1st, 2009, 07:18 PM
I run various Linux distro's at work. I am not restricted to using any particular one. Mainly right now I have been using Kubuntu.

The company I work for builds devices using Embedded XP, so it is very Windows-centric around here. The IT department (which I am in), all of us use Windows and other OS's. Two of the guys run Mac's and VM Linux. One guy is indifferent, but uses Windows because he interfaces with our product all of the time.

I have been using Linux at work and loving it. IMO it interfaces with a Windows network and Server enviroment better than Windows does lol. Ive been using it to do a lot of troubleshooting and diagnostics. It works great.

BrokenKingpin
May 1st, 2009, 07:26 PM
I use Windows XP, and soon to be Vista (uuugghh) at work. We do use a Linux live CD for a few things, but that is about it.

meho_r
May 1st, 2009, 07:28 PM
Full-time Linux user here :) Since almost all my work is done in LaTeX, no problem using Linux only.

PhilMize
May 1st, 2009, 07:32 PM
I work in a school district as well and as of now myself and my supervisor are the sole linux users in the district. I'd love to convert a lot of the buildings we support to linux but I simply just can't. The whole process would be overwhelming and I'm still a big newb when it comes to linux. I've only been solidly using ubuntu for almost a year now. We do however have image servers set up at each building using fog to push out xp images to all the different labs and classrooms. 2 IT professionals providing support for a school district of around 800 employees and around 12 different buildings, making the move would be rough. Plus the staff are pretty ignorant on how to use windows let alone a linux environment. But linux does fit right in with everything I have to do at work. Virtual box, Terminal server, Samba, wireshark, etc are all amazing tools that help me get most things done. The one complaint I have is Canon doesnt support linux!

IMO it interfaces with a Windows network and Server enviroment better than Windows does lol. Ive been using it to do a lot of troubleshooting and diagnostics. It works great.

So TRUE!!!

gn2
May 1st, 2009, 07:34 PM
The Wyse terminal at my work runs Xp Embedded. I hate it.

stwschool
May 1st, 2009, 07:37 PM
I work in a school district as well and as of now myself and my supervisor are the sole linux users in the district. I'd love to convert a lot of the buildings we support to linux but I simply just can't. The whole process would be overwhelming and I'm still a big newb when it comes to linux. I've only been solidly using ubuntu for almost a year now. We do however have image servers set up at each building using fog to push out xp images to all the different labs and classrooms. 2 IT professionals providing support for a school district of around 800 employees and around 12 different buildings, making the move would be rough. Plus the staff are pretty ignorant on how to use windows let alone a linux environment. But linux does fit right in with everything I have to do at work. Virtual box, Terminal server, Samba, wireshark, etc are all amazing tools that help me get most things done. The one complaint I have is Canon doesnt support linux!

So TRUE!!!
My school's a little smaller! That said, our staff are no more technically minded than yours (most can't open an email attachment). I'm kinda lucky that I've got pretty much free reign to do as I please as I've built up some goodwill programming a number of tools that vastly simplify or reduce the workload of other teachers, admin, management and everyone else so they now just let me get on with it!

PhilMize
May 1st, 2009, 07:44 PM
My school's a little smaller! That said, our staff are no more technically minded than yours (most can't open an email attachment). I'm kinda lucky that I've got pretty much free reign to do as I please as I've built up some goodwill programming a number of tools that vastly simplify or reduce the workload of other teachers, admin, management and everyone else so they now just let me get on with it!

o0o0o0o Goodwill programming... I need me some of that! :lolflag:

It's pretty much send in a ticket and we'll get too you when we get too you kinda thing around here... we are pretty ontop of things but majority of staff knows we are overwhelmed at times...

Stefanie
May 1st, 2009, 07:48 PM
I use Ubuntu as my main OS at work (hardy, soon switching to jaunty). It's not supported though. In general, the IT guys in my building are very Linux-friendly but the management isn't always. I am for example not allowed to connect to the printer and to the file shares from Linux, so I run XP in a virtualbox.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM
I am an Engineering Manager for a Fortune 500 company. When I am doing purely management tasks involving accounting or project management, I use Microsoft Windows. Microsoft Windows applications are dominant in the accounting and project management fields. When I am doing engineering tasks; such as, reviewing code or reading software defect reports, I use Linux. All our software developers use Linux, and our product runs on Linux.

The company made what I think is a wise decision by keeping software development and management on separate networks. I don't dual boot. I actually have two computers.

Bölvağur
May 1st, 2009, 08:32 PM
Yes I use it at my work place.... but I am self employed making linux devices so that would explain why....

Screwdriver0815
May 1st, 2009, 09:16 PM
I have to work with windows at work and I hate it. All the time I think of the better usability of the Gnome Desktop and all these "are you sure?" messages make my brain burn.

But at work they also have Red Hat Enterprise Linux running, for the simulation work (I work in automotive industry).
So for the simulations to be done, when you need to be sure, that the machine runs at least 5 days without reboot and crash, Linux is the best. :guitar:

Thats why I am really confused why all the other computers don't run RHEL as well because beside simulations we only need some CAD and office programs. For the CAD UNIX would be okay and the office programs are included in every normal Linux distro... :confused:

Xyhthyx
May 1st, 2009, 09:46 PM
I chose multi-boot even though my computer is Windows only for the following reason: I do remote deskside support for Linux and UNIX workstations so I do shell scripting on a Red Hat workstation that I SSH into. Though my machine is Windows Vista, I spend most of my time typing up commands and scripting in a terminal window.

tbrminsanity
May 4th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I'm actually surprised by the numbers in the poll. I was expecting that either other or multi-boot would be the highest number of people. I wasn't expecting that the majority of people would be using Linux at work as their main OS.