PDA

View Full Version : Very sad about community, openoffice and ubuntu

mxsteini
January 9th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Hi there,
I have a really serious problem with ubuntu, this community and openoffice.
A few weeks ago I started two thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=106399
and
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=109663
ONE person answerd.
Does really nobody else use the openoffice-artwork?

Anyway Where can I report errors. Though nobody really official answerd my question I think, the thread is in the wrong place. (I just ask myself, why nobody tells me that)

Tonight I upgarded Openoffice to the official ubuntu-version and startet to test my fontwork-problem. And what did I see?

The fontwork-library is empty.
So, here's the question:
Do you see anything wrong in that picture?

yours very sad Michael

PS.: I really thought about changing to knoppix. I don't know anything about there community, but Ooo works.

aysiu
January 9th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Hi there,
and
ONE person answerd.
Does really nobody else use the openoffice-artwork? I don't. I'm sure a lot of other folks don't as well. Why do you have a "really serious problem" with the community? If people know the answer to a question, they'll try to help, which I think is a great thing, considering the fact we're all volunteers and fellow users here. No one here is paid support. And... I think your problem is relatively obscure.

Anyway Where can I report errors. https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/

Though nobody really official answerd my question I think, the thread is in the wrong place. (I just ask myself, why nobody tells me that) Click the red TV screen near your username and report the post and explain that it's in the wrong forum. If a moderator agrees it's misplaced, she or he will move it to an appropriate place. For example, I'm going to report your post as misplaced--it should be in Community Chat.

PS.: I really thought about changing to knoppix. I don't know anything about there community, but Ooo works. Use what works for you. OpenOffice seems to work just fine for me, but I don't use openoffice-artwork.

matthew
January 9th, 2006, 01:47 AM
and
ONE person answerd.
There are a few options as to why you go so little response.
1 - no one else is experiencing the same problem
2 - if anyone else has the same problem they don't know how to fix it
3 - this is a forum made up of users and volunteers, not developers, so blaming this community for not knowing the answer to such a specific problem is like blaming your wife because the market didn't have any strawberries...it's not anyone's fault here. We really try hard to help when we can
4 - did you try searching Google for the OpenOffice.org support site? They might be able to help with such a specific bug in their software...at least they could tell you where to report it so it actually gets fixed--the Ubuntu developers just package the software that is supplied by OpenOffice. Here's the link for your convenience: http://support.openoffice.org/

Anyway Where can I report errors. Though nobody really official answerd my question I think, the thread is in the wrong place. (I just ask myself, why nobody tells me that)
See above.

PS.: I really thought about changing to knoppix. I don't know anything about there community, but Ooo works.You are welcome to do as you wish. We do our best, but Ubuntu isn't for everyone. Using an attitude that implies victimization where none has occurred combined with a tone that attempts to hold the entire community hostage to your feelings comes across as a bit childish. It's like saying, "I don't like the way you are playing so I'm taking my toys and going home." You are in your rights to do so, but no one here actually has to help you, although we truthfully want to do so.

kairu0
January 9th, 2006, 01:57 AM

This isn't the kind of problem that should make you sad. As you wrote in your other thread, 51 people viewed your message. In other words, 51 people took an interest in what you wrote but couldn't or didn't answer.

Don't put a guilt trip on one of the best Linux forums communities on the Internet.

ubuntu_demon
January 9th, 2006, 02:11 AM
I moved this thread to the community chat. since it does not belong in a support forum.

fuscia
January 9th, 2006, 02:21 AM
for $50, i'll make up an answer.

poofyhairguy
January 9th, 2006, 04:09 AM

I have read these forums maybe more than any person alive and I have never even HEARD of such a thing.

But I hope you get what you need.

matthew
January 9th, 2006, 04:18 AM
I have read these forums maybe more than any person alive and I have never even HEARD of such a thing.

But I hope you get what you need.Re: package "openoffice-artwork"

Well, there's no such thing in any of the repos, but I thought I had said enough in my first post...now that you mention it, Poof, I'll chime in to support your statement.

aysiu
January 9th, 2006, 04:23 AM
I have read these forums maybe more than any person alive and I have never even HEARD of such a thing. I'm probably second place right behind Poofyhairyguy, and I, too, have never heard of openoffice-artwork. It's certainly not a Ubuntu package (see attached screenshot).

claydoh
January 9th, 2006, 04:35 AM
I think he may mean openoffice Draw

earobinson
January 9th, 2006, 04:38 AM
good luck to you whatever happens. I will tell you this is one of the larges... if not larges linux community fourms out there. only one that might be larger is linuxquestions.org

mxsteini
January 9th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Eeeh,
thanks to all answer.
First I want to apologize. I want not to blame anybody. Really. My word where to hard but I felt so helpless. I hope, I could write again in this forum.

@aysiu:
My serious problem is, that nobody gives me a possitv answer. Nobody said: "I checked out problem and my system works."
That will give me the hint that this is an OnlyWithMeProblem. The situation is like standing on a market place and nobody tells you that you're naked.

@matthew:
As I wrote in the other thread, I started a thread at openoffice.org and one of that guys told me that I have an ubuntu problem. So I came back to here.

@poofyhairguy:
sorry, I ment the openoffice-fontwork. That's not a package. It's a button. And my galery is still empty.

Again, thanks for all answers. I'll try that bugzilla-thing.

Michael

aysiu
January 9th, 2006, 03:53 PM
@aysiu:
My serious problem is, that nobody gives me a possitv answer. Nobody said: "I checked out problem and my system works."
That will give me the hint that this is an OnlyWithMeProblem. The situation is like standing on a market place and nobody tells you that you're naked. I guess I don't see why that qualifies as a "serious problem." Maybe you are alone. Maybe no one else has experienced that same problem. It does happen from time to time that people have unique/ obscure problems.

awakatanka
January 9th, 2006, 04:08 PM
After a try here from 1st post i crashes here to. Looks more a OOo problem then a ubuntu ( i use kubuntu)

dixonstalbert
January 9th, 2006, 10:04 PM
hello mxsteini

OpenOffice Draw also crashes on my computer when I follow your procedure

(yes you really are naked!;) )

you should file a bug report using procedure given in messages above.

I tried typing in a long string of text by using Text icon on Draw toolbar, then unselect box by clicking outside of it, then re-selecting it, then Right Clicking to get drop-down menu. I chose Fontwork off the menu.

I use same arch option of Fontwork dialog box and was able to create shape without computer crashing.

Could you try and see if this procedure will work on your system?

mxsteini
January 10th, 2006, 11:15 AM
@aysiu:
maybe the word serious is to hard.
I often have that happenOnlyToMeProblems and if I nobody replies on my threads I don't care about that. But in that case I checked out many things and my first questions were: Is this really an ubuntu-problem and where can I report it.
This belong to all our interests because ubuntu IS GOOD. And we want that for the future.
Please forgive me that serious. I was tired and frustrated.

@awakatanka:
I still sent an error @ Ooo and I had that disussion on the Ooo-board.
That guy told me that I should ask here. Altough I checked it out on some live-systems (suse, knoppix) and a dead-system (win). But only ubuntu crashes.

@dixonstalbert:
Thanks for point on my Cloths;)
I never found that fontwork-menu until now.(Ooo is so amazing)
My Ooo is working well with that arch, but the problem is, this is not the arch I need write my CD-label.
But thanks for teaching and testing.

aysiu
January 10th, 2006, 03:55 PM
@aysiu:
maybe the word serious is to hard.
I often have that happenOnlyToMeProblems and if I nobody replies on my threads I don't care about that. But in that case I checked out many things and my first questions were: Is this really an ubuntu-problem and where can I report it.
This belong to all our interests because ubuntu IS GOOD. And we want that for the future.
Please forgive me that serious. I was tired and frustrated. Ubuntu bugs should be filed at Bugzilla: https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/

J77
January 10th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Just thought I'd reply to show the OP that people care...

:D :razz: ;)

Steve S.
March 2nd, 2006, 03:43 PM
After reading this thread, I'm still undecided as to whether this is the correct place to reply or not. If not, please move as appropriate.

I love Ubuntu and have been singing it's praises to whomever will listen, for the record.;)

But my problem is the same as mxsteini about the empty Fontworks gallery drop down in openoffice. Have had this system for a little while, but didn't notice until yesterday about the Oo thing. Oo works great in every other way, just nothing in the Fontworks gallery. Also, wanted to change the font type in Fontworks and can't see anyway to do that.

Anyone have any further input into this issue? Or has it been declared a bug that will have to be fixed in future updates?

Brunellus
March 2nd, 2006, 04:00 PM
Hi there,
and
ONE person answerd.

Tonight I upgarded Openoffice to the official ubuntu-version and startet to test my fontwork-problem. And what did I see?

The fontwork-library is empty.
So, here's the question:
Do you see anything wrong in that picture?

yours very sad Michael

PS.: I really thought about changing to knoppix. I don't know anything about there community, but Ooo works.
Well, after such a ringing indictment, I don't know whether I'm supposed to respond, or simply offer myself up to be hanged, or whatever it is they do to unsatisfactory communities.

There are a a fair number of unanswered posts every day on these forums. In many cases, they go unanswered because...well...nobody who has yet read them knows the answer.

I do my part and try and scan the unanswered posts for things that I can help out with, but I am obviously not omniscient.

If you believe you have discovered a legitimate bug, there is a link to the bugzilla in the top-right-hand corner of the forums. Use it. In fact, the bugzilla is an excellent tool for actually solving problems: sometimes, workarounds are posted there.

Jucato
March 2nd, 2006, 04:55 PM
Yep, I recreated the freeze as well. I've seen your bug report. Do you happen to know what version of OOo Suse and Knoppix has? It might be a bug that has been fixed in the latest releases.

Steve S.
March 2nd, 2006, 08:25 PM
Yep, I recreated the freeze as well. I've seen your bug report. Do you happen to know what version of OOo Suse and Knoppix has? It might be a bug that has been fixed in the latest releases.

I think that is probably addressed to mxsteini since he/she apparently submitted the bug. But just for the record, no, I have no idea about that, but I sure would love to have this fixed. It is not a deal breaker or anything, just would be good to have this version of Oo be able to FULLY take on Microsoft W.

If you believe you have discovered a legitimate bug, there is a link to the bugzilla in the top-right-hand corner of the forums. Use it. In fact, the bugzilla is an excellent tool for actually solving problems: sometimes, workarounds are posted there.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind as well. I'm just hessitant to do a bug report 'cause I'm just so relatively new to Ubuntu myself that I've yet to have many problems that someone else hasn't mastered...

Sorry: I know that mxsteini started this thread, just wanted to mention that his/her Oo issue had been encountered by others, so I chimed in...