PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wired network problems in upgrade from ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10

y10linux
May 1st, 2009, 04:22 PM
Hi!

After reading these forums for quite a long time I finally registered, this is my first post.

I upgraded recently from Ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10 and my wired network stopped working. Here are some details:

- The wired network did work before (I actually downloaded the files necessary for the upgrade via a wired network).

- The wireless controler keeps on working and I can connect to the internet via wireless but not via wired network (I have tired two different wired networks so far).

I am using Network Manager and the networking is enabled (I have also tried to disable it and enable it again and it didn't work). When I click in the wired network icon, it opens a small dialog that says that the wired network is unmanaged (and currently displays the name of the wireless network I am connected to.

1) I have tried several things without success and believe that the problem is here:

:~$ lspci -nnm|grep 14e4
03:00.0 "Ethernet controller [0200]" "Broadcom Corporation [14e4]" "BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX [170c]" -r02 "Dell [1028]" "Device [01f2]"

I think a "Network Controller" is missing, but do not know how to install it.

2) I thought there might be firmware problems, but this page seems to indicate that my ethernet card (BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX) does not need them:
http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wired-ethernet

3) lshw -C network

returns:

WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:0c:00.0
logical name: wmaster0
version: 02
serial: 00:1c:bf:8c:98:e8
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwl3945 ip=192.168.1.3 latency=0 module=iwl3945 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abg
*-network DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
product: BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:1d:09:be:b8:ed
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=b44 driverversion=2.0 ip=84.88.154.117 latency=64 module=ssb multicast=yes
*-network DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 1
logical name: pan0
serial: d2:e0:bd:88:8a:c4
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A multicast=yes

which seems to indicate that the device is off, there is no way to physically turn it on (at least not that I know about). I never did turn it on in Ubuntu 7.10 or 8.04 where the wired network worked just fine.

Well thanks for reading all these and I hope I happened to provide some useful information.

zvacet
May 1st, 2009, 08:51 PM
Similar thing here,but I have just one connection and even network manager is telling me that device is unmanaged I have connection.Well,that is not what are you asking.Try to put in /etc/network/interfaces this lines

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

y10linux
May 2nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
Similar thing here,but I have just one connection and even network manager is telling me that device is unmanaged I have connection.Well,that is not what are you asking.Try to put in /etc/network/interfaces this lines

The file you mention contains:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
address 84.88.154.117
netmask 255.255.254.0
gateway 84.88.154.1

auto eth0

Should I add the line:

iface eth0 inet dhcp

at the end of the file?

y10linux
May 3rd, 2009, 03:39 PM

Well, tried that and it does not seem to work...

Thanks for your help anyway, I'm going to keep trying to solve this...

deeppow
May 5th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Same problem here with new install of 8.10 Also tried 9.04, same problem.

Instructions in either version of help are of no use, plus must be written for older versions.

I had 8.04 working awhile back with no problems.

deeppow
May 5th, 2009, 12:57 AM
If you have a Marvell Yukon connector, try this link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=781022

y10linux
May 5th, 2009, 09:09 AM
In this thread https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/357509 and the references therein you can find some more information.

I finally got to "solve" the problem (in 9.04) by erasing all the interfaces (that seemed to be ignored anyway) in /etc/network/interfaces and leave this files with just two lines:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

THEN I configured my wired network with network manager and got it working at work (where I have a fixed internet address). I still haven't managed to get it working at home, but I have not been able to dedicate much time to it yet.

stretch427
May 5th, 2009, 09:15 AM
If it only works at your work, and not at home it could also be a router problem, or should I say an oddly configured setting.

I know with my router I sometimes have to set to allow certain computers and stuff. Just a thought. Maybe try resetting your home router or modem, whichever you have.

Cheers!