PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] disable onboard video through the OS?

iansane
May 1st, 2009, 01:01 PM
Hi,

Since I can't get nvidia drivers working. I wanted to give my extra ati card a try. My Gateway GM5072 has no option to disable the onboard nvidia through BIOS but I've read a sucess story about using device manager in windows to disable it. This apparently does the same as disableing in BIOS?

Problem is there's no device manager with a disable device option in Ubuntu so can anyone tell me the command line equivelant to this?

Thanks

Cypher
May 1st, 2009, 01:44 PM
The best way to disable any onboard devices is through the BIOS, trying to disable them from any OS is not going to be fool-proof.

Now the BIOS might have an option to set the onboard video or a new one attached to the PCI/AGP slot as the primary one. If that's true, that might accomplish the same thing...

iansane
May 1st, 2009, 02:10 PM
No, unfortunately there is no option at all relating to video anywhere in the BIOS. Gateway went for the lowest bidder on the mobo in this OEM machine and then ripped people off with a huge price tag. I bought it before I knew what I was doing a few years ago from Best Buy. Also there is no BIOS update available. The board isn't even listed at the manufactures website.

On a positive note, It would make a good non-gui home server since everything else seems to work fine. :-)

Thanks