PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Install in VirtualBox: High CPU Usage

o_swas
May 1st, 2009, 12:52 PM
Hello,

I want to install Kubuntu 9.04 under VirtualBox on Windows XP. My computer is an HP a430n, which has an AMD Athlong 3200+ CPU and 2 GB of RAM. Windows XP is a fresh install and I have the latest version of VirtualBox, version 2.2.2.

I'm using these instructions (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/virtualbox) for the installation process. I have allocated 1 GB of RAM to the Kubuntu VM, which should be plenty.

As soon as I start the Kubuntu VM that points to the ISO image, CPU usage spikes to 100% and stays there. The Kubuntu installation screen appears and I select English as the language. Then, from the menu, I key down to Install Kubuntu and hit Enter. It must be trying to do something, because after then I can't key up or down to the different options, but nothing more happens. The CPU is still pegged at 100% so I'm guessing nothing else can get done.

Any idea why VirtualBox spikes the CPU to 100%? I'm guessing it's not a Kubuntu thing and instead is a VirtualBox thing, but I'm not sure. Plus, I figure lots of people are using VirtualBox so maybe somebody has a tip.

Thank you!!!

-Ryan