PDA

View Full Version : FUD or truth on Ubuntu ?

newbie2
May 1st, 2009, 12:52 PM
I moved to Ubuntu from windows XP since Feisty Fawn. At the time I was thinking that (1) the year of the Linux desktop is near and (2) that Ubuntu will soon replace windows. I was wrong. I realized there are 3 major problems Ubuntu has to address. This blog is about the 3rd one. But let's first consider the first 2 ones.
http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/119562/index.html
http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/28926/
:rolleyes:

loell
May 1st, 2009, 12:57 PM
http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/119562/index.html
http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/28926/

your links were already discussing the blog, so nuff said.

3rdalbum
May 1st, 2009, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure what this person is smoking; his main gripes are with the speed at which Nautilus reads and renders a directory that newbies don't go into anyway, and the speed at which Gedit opens?

It just supports my theory that "we know when Ubuntu is truly a great operating system because, in the absence of big problems, people will complain about tiny little problems as though they were important".

Paqman
May 1st, 2009, 02:16 PM
At the time I was thinking that (1) the year of the Linux desktop is near and (2) that Ubuntu will soon replace windows.

There's his whole problem. He's starting with a flawed premise.

original_jamingrit
May 1st, 2009, 02:20 PM
Articles like this make my heart hurt. If he's complaining about not being able to right-click->New Folder in Nautilus' List mode, (as though that's easier than then clicking on the File menu, or Crtl-Shift-N,) then I'm not too concerned with what else he has to say.

Damn you, newbie2, for making me read that!!! :-)

poliltimmy
May 1st, 2009, 02:24 PM
I'm not sure what this person is smoking; his main gripes are with the speed at which Nautilus reads and renders a directory that newbies don't go into anyway, and the speed at which Gedit opens?

It just supports my theory that "we know when Ubuntu is truly a great operating system because, in the absence of big problems, people will complain about tiny little problems as though they were important".

Little problems? How about the the 'black screen of death' many are having? Yep Ubuntu is right on par with Windows now!!!!!

original_jamingrit
May 1st, 2009, 02:29 PM
Little problems? How about the the 'black screen of death' many are having? Yep Ubuntu is right on par with Windows now!!!!!

Actually, the article doesn't mention anything about that.

poliltimmy
May 1st, 2009, 03:05 PM
Actually, the article doesn't mention anything about that.

Correct. But he is talking about a Nautilus problem. And not having it work is a BIG problem. It is not working on many machines. I would LOVE to at least be able to test drive Jaunty. But that is a bit hard to do when all you have is a blank black screen, wouldn't you say???

original_jamingrit
May 1st, 2009, 03:15 PM
Agreed, blank screens are no fun. But I don't really know anything about this problem you're talking about, I've never heard of a file manager causing blank screens.

LowSky
May 1st, 2009, 03:19 PM
I love when people complain about free stuff. If you dont like it nothing is holding you back from buying a fully fuctional operating system that offers 24/7 support

poliltimmy
May 1st, 2009, 03:27 PM
I am not saying Nautilus is causing the black screen. I was just stating that some people have Big problems with this release. And the community is acting like there is not a thing happening. When my rag tag old eMachine will run it but my barely 2 year old computer won't, I would say there is a BIG problem here. I have never not been able to run Ubuntu on any machine. Been using it since 6.06. 'Just works', yea right!

poliltimmy
May 1st, 2009, 03:32 PM
I love when people complain about free stuff. If you dont like it nothing is holding you back from buying a fully fuctional operating system that offers 24/7 support

I love it when some sarcastic person makes a statement that tends to drive people away. How exactly did your comment help me or the others that have serious problems updating to the new release?

JohnFH
May 1st, 2009, 04:20 PM
I love it when some sarcastic person makes a statement that tends to drive people away. How exactly did your comment help me or the others that have serious problems updating to the new release?

I love it when some cycnical angry person barges into someone elses thread and shouts at us for not helping him and then shouts at us for being rude.

Hello?

Sef
May 1st, 2009, 04:21 PM
Locked. Things are too heated in here, so time to cool off.